Hey Sawtroll.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I would have wrote down the times. I timed the first cuts on all three saws and everyone was suprised to say the least. Granted the stock 3/8 saw was only a few tenths faster. The ported saws wanted more chain for sure . They tried switching the .325 saws to 3/8 but couldn't get the clutch off.

Both saws were noticibly stronger, motor wise. One more so than the other. U just about couldn't bog the one down pushing on it. My 346 was pretty fat fuel wise, and didn't have the torque theirs had, just that 3/8 chain is the BOMB!!!!

My 2153 pulls 3/8 (18" bar) with authority. I really, really love that saw.

As what brad said there are soooo many variables. 7pin vs 8pin, 3/8 vs .325. But it was kinda funny to see the look on everyones face. Oh and someone said earlier in the thread that they lean them up to get faster chain speed. Well running saws lean will SLOW it down a good bit. These guys know how to tune a saw.:msp_thumbup:

Yeah that one gtg in Indiana a few years ago, that little crappy Ryobi was going through the same log quicker than the big ones.....

I mentioned it, but the issue was hushed up when Fatguy cut the cheese.........

Where has he been anyway??????

Wiggs also ran my saw again his own. Both were identical (stock) with only a couple few tanks of gas through them both, but mine had .325...yes it was sharp, and yes his saw was faster than mine.

Both also had about the same muffler mod.

Last edited:
Wiggs also ran my saw again his own. Both were identical (stock) with only a couple few tanks of gas through them both, but mine had .325...yes it was sharp, and yes his saw was faster than mine.

Both also had about the same muffler mod.

That's because of the gearing difference of the 7-pin 3/8 rim and the 7-pin .325. You had a lot less chain speed. I'm going to go dig through my vids to see what I can find. But we tested exactly this at another GTG. When you equalized the gearing, the .325 is faster. That doesn't mean the saw doesn't pull the 3/8 well, but it's not faster.

this is just my opinion but i have run both on different saws and i personally like the 3/8 a lot better

That's because of the gearing difference of the 7-pin 3/8 rim and the 7-pin .325. You had a lot less chain speed. I'm going to go dig through my vids to see what I can find. But we tested exactly this at another GTG. When you equalized the gearing, the .325 is faster. That doesn't mean the saw doesn't pull the 3/8 well, but it's not faster.

I forgot about that. I had a 8 pin .325 in the truck,,,,,If I was thinking I would have put it on.

Either way, Im going to switch mine to 3/8s. The 346 is the only saw I own now that isn't 3/8s, and it would simplify things for me having every thing one size.

IMHO, it's really impressive that the mm 346 beat 2 ported 346's. However, if i'm following this correctly, the ideal set up to compare would be MM 346 3/8th 7 pin and a ported 346 .325 8 pin?

I forgot about that. I had a 8 pin .325 in the truck,,,,,If I was thinking I would have put it on.

Either way, Im going to switch mine to 3/8s. The 346 is the only saw I own now that isn't 3/8s, and it would simplify things for me having every thing one size.

That's a very good arguement for using 3/8, and the reason why many do. Can't blame you.

Latest posts

Back