Hi Y'all........Messed Up Anything Lately?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busted the stem off of a 16.9x38 tractor tire and wheel I was remounting in the field the other day.Done this job several time over the years never had THAT happen.Had a talk with the tire store they were confounded as well,"shouldn't have done that".They are now fitting it with a solid brass stem.I'm actually glad it happened now instead of in the middle of january out feeding a round bale or out in the middle of nowhere brushhogging.

I use a tool rest on the grinder......just recently got a 8" grinder too. On these squish cutting bits I have to undercut the bottom of the cutter to allow clearance for the radius of the bore. The smaller the bore the more likely the heel is to hit.

I forgot to clip that heel. :bang:

**** happens . :burn_joss_stick:

Oh yeah forgot to mention that couple week's ago we managed to score a couple saws. One was a good looking 268 300th anniversary. It was nice but in pieces so I reassembled and tried running it. Runs real strong but the oiler wasn't working. Of course after I had thought I fixed it I started it and gave it a nice rev and the clutch came off like pants at a nudist camp. My face was saved and only one spring managed to hit a car:yoyo: But that's what happens when you get excited and forget to double check things

Ever seen a smart phone get run over with a 30HP mulching mower???? I haven't been getting many calls lately????....Sir, that is not covered under the warranty. FRIG

1. Redoing the showroom. Moved a display with chainsaw and trimmers. The trimmer were in a clip type holder. Yep, one fell over. Didn't really notice the muffler cover was broken for about a week. Three days later had a new cover from Efco, and a spare.

2. Yesterday coming back from some errands a customer with a long SUV and a long trailer was pulled in to the lot. Parked four feet from the back from the sidewalk next to a long class A rv. Not much room for a full size 2001 Dodge Ram to pull through, but I thought I had enough, until a made a slight jog to miss the back corner of his trailer. Chain link gate post meet bed side. Nine and a half years, hardly a scratch. Ouch. And only myself to blame.

Oh yeah forgot to mention that couple week's ago we managed to score a couple saws. One was a good looking 268 300th anniversary. It was nice but in pieces so I reassembled and tried running it. Runs real strong but the oiler wasn't working. Of course after I had thought I fixed it I started it and gave it a nice rev and the clutch came off like pants at a nudist camp. My face was saved and only one spring managed to hit a car:yoyo: But that's what happens when you get excited and forget to double check things

I did that a few times.......now I won't start a saw without a bar & chain.

I did that a few times.......now I won't start a saw without a bar & chain.

Sure is fun trying to find all them clutch parts ! LOL

Never did find that Poulan clutch spring ? LOL

I learned the hard way too ! LOL

I start them sometimes with out a B&C , but only with the clutch off ! LOL Is that a bad thing to do ?

I've done that one too, and have the dents in the hood of my van to prove it:angry:

Well it was my cousin's woman's car.:cool2: As for the rest of the clutch I'm sure the neighbours would found it with their mower by now. I found most of it.

I did my first port work on a little pos feather lite weedeater. It was just lying around so I figured I'd do some tinkering. Everything was done about to go back together when I found out that those little rings aren't as flexible as they may seem. Oh well I'm glad I don't experiment with the tools I depend on. Reading this thread makes me think back on all the bonehead things I've done. My memory is pretty good but my ability to forget is far superior. :)

I haven't had much of a chance to mess anything up lately. Been too busy on other stuff.

I do know someone who will remain nameless that ruined a perfectly good 385 cylinder while learning how to use his new 182MC handpiece a couple of weeks ago. He got the transfer bridge way too skinny.

Where to start.......

Well, I had a new transmission installed in my '72 Blazer 4x4 last summer. All was well until late April or early June when I was at my Mom and Dad's property in Powhatan, VA when I got the truck sideways in some mud and got it stuck My Dad pulled me out, but now the transmission or transfer case is making noise. I'm going to have it looked at next week. It's only money, right?:msp_sad:

Since then I left an 029 Super behind my wife's Tahoe and she backed over it. It was going to be a nice project. My fault, not hers.:pissed-off:

Oh, and I let one friend borrow a shotgun, and another one of my SXL's. The shotgun came back fine, but I have yet to see the saw.:clap::angry:

What was that Hee Haw song? Gloom, despair, and agony on me!

Happy Independence Day! Max.

I haven't had much of a chance to mess anything up lately. Been too busy on other stuff.

I do know someone who will remain nameless that ruined a perfectly good 385 cylinder while learning how to use his new 182MC handpiece a couple of weeks ago. He got the transfer bridge way too skinny.

weld it up....jedi cylinder head master welder

rotfl

Here is my latest bonehead move:

For all of you guys out there that want to know how to destroy a perfectly functioning behind the flywheel coil. First you decide that you just cannot sleep at night knowing that the small amount of crud behind the flywheel that you were not able to clean off during your cleaning/inspection process is still there. And, for that reason you must absolutely get that damn flywheel off so that you can remove the crud. New to this style of setup and still slightly confused as to where the coil is on this saw you notice the three small threaded holes in the face of the flywheel. You decide that the manufacturer must have put them there for you to put three screws into in order to advance those screws far enough to force the flywheel off the crank shaft. Perfect logic......so you proceed and the flywheel pops off. At that point you discover the location of what used to be a perfectly functioning coil but now has the plastic case cracked in three places and the copper coil exposed. At that point you decide to pull up the electronic version of the repair manual that you so diligently downloaded from this site to look thru for the first time and discover that had you done that 15 minutes earlier you would still have a perfectly functioning coil instead of a perfectly ruined one.

I'm laughing WITH you, mistakes are there to be made!:rock:

had muffler bolt shear off when disassembling a saw for inspection and cleaning. wasn't a flat shear but one of those "angular" shears with part above the surface and part below the surface. i tried center punching it but its extremely difficule centering a punch on an angular surface. being the patient, self-sufficient soul that i am (i don't need no stinking machine shop) i determined that i could just drill a hole freehand. i did manage to drill a hole but pretty much off center (really? no kidding?). tried an ezout. tried heat, kroil, every thing i could think of. nothing. i did have the presence of mind to not break the ez out. i set that thing down for couple of months and worked on other stuff.
finally, after looking at that thing every time i was at my bench, it occured to me that maybe i could drill an over size hole. went ahead and ran the previous hole all the way through and, using progressively larger bits was able to make a hole big enough to accept a tap without seriously getting into the magnesium. holding my tongue just right i was able to tap the oversize hole. all's well. could of been a lot worse.
i hate broken studs.

Pulled the cover off the tranny of the recently acquired kubota mower... IDK Where the heck those 2 gears go, the little rod, the 2 little discs, or where all the needles went out of one of the bearings! Gotta hate hearing noises and not knowing were the stuff came from before drowning and a pool of oil haha. At least I have a project, or a dozen however you want to look at it

Latest posts

Back