hiring help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjunior

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been trying to get a climber and another groundie in this season. I've got an add in a couple papers for the positions. Had no luck, not even 1 call for a climber (big surprise there..) but had several calls about a ground man position. After talking with a handful of guys over the phone I narrowed it down to 2 that sounded the most promising.

They both came in yesterday for an interview and told them I'd get back to them today. I can only hire 1 and I can't decide which is the best man for the position. Guy "A" is an older dude, 52 I think. He said he was laid off from another tree service and wasn't real happy there. Claims he can "kinda" run a crane. Claims he can do some pruning, run a saw safely, operate any piece of machinery, drive big trucks and be a good asset to the company. Looks like he's been around the block and done his share of partying in his younger years, but saise he's clean. He's not asking for much - 12$ an hour.

Guy "B" is a younger dude - 38. Saise he's a roofer and does his own thing on the side. Just moved over here from the other side of town and looking for a full time gig. He's a bigger strong looking kid, looks like he could drag some brush for sure. Claims he can do removals from a bucket and run a saw but that's about it. There is no way I'd let him loose in a bucket - I know better.. Also saise he can operate any piece of machinery and drive big trucks. No experience in pruning or climbing. He seams to be a BS'er though, I know the type..And I think he's looking to get 13$-14$ an hour.

I've already got 2 guys that are equal to or better then these 2 prospects, guess I could use one more. What I really need is TREE PEOPLE, but that almost seems impossible anymore. I have the worst luck trying to get decent help. It's looking like it's all on my shoulders again this season, climbing, pruning and anything else with any importance is going to have to be done by me, with 3 brush draggers that can drive trucks..

So what would you guys do if you were in my position? Guy "A", guy "B", or eff em both and keep looking? Keep in mind these were the 2 best prospects out of about 10 - 12 calls..

I'd run a background check and give it to the guy with the fewer felonies. Seriously, finding someone is tough, even in these times. I don't know if you get the Good News but if you do then you know that VanCuren had an ad running for a climber for months and months. Same way with Craigslist. Those ads run constantly. Good luck. I feel your pain. If you have any connections to the Amish network put the word out. You may have better luck with them.
Phil

I'd run a background check and give it to the guy with the fewer felonies. Seriously, finding someone is tough, even in these times. I don't know if you get the Good News but if you do then you know that VanCuren had an ad running for a climber for months and months. Same way with Craigslist. Those ads run constantly. Good luck. I feel your pain. If you have any connections to the Amish network put the word out. You may have better luck with them.
Phil

one of my adds is in the good news, I didn't check on the add so I wasn't aware that vancuren has been infesting there too..dammit!

I would recommend looking into hiring (legal) latino help. Them dudes can work!

Strange to hear you refer to the 38 year old guy a "younger dude", and "kid". I just turned 39 and I feel about 100. sigh.

And I don't like the sounds of either of those guys... but believe me, I know it's tough out there!

A or B?

if you smell BS when you talk to guy B... dont even waste your time..... i d give guy A a trail shot and see how he does.... at least he has worked for a tree service (i'd call his old boss and check him out too)... or you could just wait and see what else comes along...

I went through the same thing over the Summer. I hired 2 guys that were over 50 and to tell the truth, they just couldn't hack the ground work in the heat. They had just been out of it too long. Their heart's where still there but their bodies couldn't handle it. Not saying that this is the case with all older dudes, I have one here that has worked with me 4 or 5 years and still does part time, who is 53 and works circles around my younger guys. But he spent a lifetime in the Army.

Over the Summer I went through a lot of help. I had one kid who had experience working for other services, wanted to learn to climb and busted ass on the job. He was a great worker when you could get him on the job. However, he had a wife and 4 kids and always had something going on where he couldn't make it to work half the time.

I had good luck with two college kids. I say kids, one was a young guy studying to be a Dentist and one was in his 30's going to school for an education degree. He was an assistant football coach with the local high school and worked great, albeit on a part time basis.

I have been getting a lot of calls lately for guys seeking employment. Had one call over the weekend looking for a climbing position. I asked him how he climbed and he said spikes, saddle, rope. He mentioned something about topping trees and I asked him what he knows about topping trees. He kinda stammered and I told him not to feel under pressure, I was just trying to get an idea of his level of knowledge. He then told me he could top or shape a tree anyway I wanted him to and could rope down large pieces in tight places. Said he had his own climbing gear and saw. I'll probably call him to do removals later on when I get busier if he's still available. I don't look down my nose at guys like that. I used to be that guy.

Finding good help is not easy. You usually have to go through several and weed them out til you find a decent one. Good luck.

I would recommend looking into hiring (legal) latino help. Them dudes can work!

Strange to hear you refer to the 38 year old guy a "younger dude", and "kid". I just turned 39 and I feel about 100. sigh.

And I don't like the sounds of either of those guys... but believe me, I know it's tough out there!

I agree. I know lots of guys who use legals, had an army of them on a job last summer, I couldn't bury these guys with brush if I tried. It was amazing watching them work!

Yeah I'll be 41 this spring, still think of myself as a kid although my body is telling me otherwise..

if you smell BS when you talk to guy B... dont even waste your time..... i d give guy A a trail shot and see how he does.... at least he has worked for a tree service (i'd call his old boss and check him out too)... or you could just wait and see what else comes along...

kinda what I was thinking.

Finding good help is not easy. You usually have to go through several and weed them out til you find a decent one. Good luck.

I hear ya, sounds like the right thing to do. I hate effin the peoples lives but I gotta do what's right for my business

Special forces don't look for Green Hats they build them!You ain't going to find any you are going to have to train them your self.Find the most motivated strongest athlete first send each one of them up a tree and I will guarantee you will find the best man for the job!Now I don't mean a hard tree just see who is the most able bodied.He don't even need to take a saw up well you get the idea !

$12 an hour?.?? I can't find guys that would even lean on a rake for that, let alone actually do any work

My thoughts exactly. Guess I wouldn't be losing much if he didn't work out. Other then maybe guy A, who may have been a great asset - or a major f up. hell I don't know what to do..

If something don't feel right with either one, I would pass. You are better off waiting for the right one rather than ending up with some other trimmers headaches.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Special forces don't look for Green Hats they build them!You ain't going to find any you are going to have to train them your self.Find the most motivated strongest athlete first send each one of them up a tree and I will guarantee you will find the best man for the job!Now I don't mean a hard tree just see who is the most able bodied.He don't even need to take a saw up well you get the idea !

that would be guy A. Very eager for work and looks like a strong worker, saise he moves on the jobsite. guy B doesn't look like he moves very quick at all

If something don't feel right with either one, I would pass. You are better off waiting for the right one rather than ending up with some other trimmers headaches.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

well I smelled bs with guy A. guy B seems a lot more honest, just a little burned out maybe

A. No: to old for groundy if you're very busy.
B. No: probably won't stay as long as you'd like.
C. Yes: keep looking.

I am actually starting 2 new hires tomorrow. Was supposed to start today but we got rained out.

One of them is my friend's son. His younger brother worked for me a year or so back. Great kid, 19, a little light in the britches but he was smart and worked hard. Kind of looking forward to his brother coming to work for me. He's 25 so hopefully he is a little more stout. I agree with training your own help. Usually works out so much better that way. They have no learned bad habits except for the one's you teach them... ;)

Second guy is my sister's boyfriend. They need some money so I'm putting him to work part time. I'm always a little leery about getting into situations like that but he is a decent guy and my sister asked me to give him a job. That's what you do for family.

I am actually starting 2 new hires tomorrow. Was supposed to start today but we got rained out.

One of them is my friend's son. His younger brother worked for me a year or so back. Great kid, 19, a little light in the britches but he was smart and worked hard. Kind of looking forward to his brother coming to work for me. He's 25 so hopefully he is a little more stout. I agree with training your own help. Usually works out so much better that way. They have no learned bad habits except for the one's you teach them... ;)

Second guy is my sister's boyfriend. They need some money so I'm putting him to work part time. I'm always a little leery about getting into situations like that but he is a decent guy and my sister asked me to give him a job. That's what you do for family.

I'll admit I'm not the greatest teacher, which is a problem. Don't have much patience but I guess that's something that I really need to work on. Always been a "if ya want something done right you got to do it yourself" kinda person. Been trying to teach my 2 guys how to prune for years now, and if one of them even reaches for a pole pruner I just cringe...

Back