hiring help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super Junior dont put to much faith in these BSers.Just train your own it takes time there is no quick fix .They all lie and quit anyway! If you have a guy already has he been dependable?If so start training him!

dependable - yes. Idiots - YES. I agree it's going to take some time. I've got to learn to be a better teacher so I can't put the blame entirely on them. Still the problem remains though, when we get going in the spring I start losing work cause I just can't get to it fast enough. I'll be 5 weeks backed up and the calls keep coming. My ultimate goal is to get a couple more guys in here and pick up another chipper to get 2 crews going.

dependable - yes. Idiots - YES. I agree it's going to take some time. I've got to learn to be a better teacher so I can't put the blame entirely on them. Still the problem remains though, when we get going in the spring I start losing work cause I just can't get to it fast enough. I'll be 5 weeks backed up and the calls keep coming. My ultimate goal is to get a couple more guys in here and pick up another chipper to get 2 crews going.

Get to training!

Where do you live in Ohio where people/tree workers will work for $12.00 per hour?
Your bids must be very low.

Try a background check on both of them, but you likely won't get much teaching experience with the older guy. Try the younger guy and see what it gets you. You can always get rid of him if he isn't what he says he is. On the other hand, the older guy sounds like he's pretty safe to bet on, but it doesn't sound like you'll get much work out of him. It'll be better to give one of them a chance than to pass them up and wonder what you could have had.

Where do you live in Ohio where people/tree workers will work for $12.00 per hour?

I live in the same area and $12 is a pretty standard starting rate it seems. Hell, I started at $10 five years ago. At this pay, you really have to want to do tree work to make it seem worth it for the pay. You can go get practically any other job at that pay and it will be easier work....plus tree work around here is seasonal...

Hiring workers sucks in general, I've seen a bunch come through the door at my work. I wonder if you raised the starting wage a little, would it bring a better applicant pool? I would have to say "Yes". I would run an ad for a groundie and climber, and put a starting wage in the ad.... maybe $15 for a groundie, $18 for a climber. Hopefully that wouldn't cause problems with your current guys. At that price, you might be able to get a few guys with some real potential.

my bids are far from low. there's a big time outfit right down the street from me (4 crews) and he usually underbids me by a few. I'm friends with a lot of my local competition and we're all in the same ball park

That is pretty cheap.. sounds to me like the guy is either REAL desperate for a job, or knows he sucks and figures that's about all he's worth. Kinda sad either way.

Sounds like they might be worth ten to tell you the truth!No joke .

I think you guys are probably spot on here. I do kinda feel bad for the guy, he does seem honest

I live in the same area and $12 is a pretty standard starting rate it seems. Hell, I started at $10 five years ago. At this pay, you really have to want to do tree work to make it seem worth it for the pay. You can go get practically any other job at that pay and it will be easier work....plus tree work around here is seasonal...

Hiring workers sucks in general, I've seen a bunch come through the door at my work. I wonder if you raised the starting wage a little, would it bring a better applicant pool? I would have to say "Yes". I would run an ad for a groundie and climber, and put a starting wage in the ad.... maybe $15 for a groundie, $18 for a climber. Hopefully that wouldn't cause problems with your current guys. At that price, you might be able to get a few guys with some real potential.

Just send the newbs up a tree if they are no good they will be gone in 20 minutes anyway!If they hang in you got a trainee!

Hey Andy you wanna job? cmon brotha..

I'd run a background check and give it to the guy with the fewer felonies. Seriously, finding someone is tough, even in these times. I don't know if you get the Good News but if you do then you know that VanCuren had an ad running for a climber for months and months. Same way with Craigslist. Those ads run constantly. Good luck. I feel your pain. If you have any connections to the Amish network put the word out. You may have better luck with them.
Phil

Ya, that vancuren ad has been around for a few years. They were looking for a crane op too...

Amish network would be a pretty good idea if you have enough able drivers. There are some that can really work and they shouldn't have a bad rap sheet or leave you wondering if they will show for work because there were dollar beers down at the watering hole last night.

Might be able to steal a good landscaping guy too.

Hey Andy you wanna job? cmon brotha..

Haha, I'll be calling if Yarnell ever lets me go. To tell ya the truth, I don't get paid much, work with a few #######s and do some BS work at times, but Yarnell treats me pretty good and I have some nice perks to the job. It would be hard to leave them for another tree co.

Weekends are a possibility though if we don't have sidework lined up. My partner (Jeff, the other guy with me the one day we stopped by) is a good climber (climbs for the crane at Yarnell everyday) and we have the equipment already to run a crew.

I've had a few climbers come and go over the years, had to do an aerial rescue on one of them. None of them worth a s##t. If I could find a good climber that has his act together he could pretty much pick his wage.

There's a little more flexability with a groudie. Any dumbass can drag brush to the chipper. Finding one that knows how to prune, run ropes, work on equipment, safety minded, doesn't complain and has his act together is another story. So far the best I can come up with is guy A or B... or find kid "C" and put a schoolin on him. But time is running out, springs gonna be here soon.

I've had a few climbers come and go over the years, had to do an aerial rescue on one of them. None of them worth a s##t. If I could find a good climber that has his act together he could pretty much pick his wage.

There's a little more flexability with a groudie. Any dumbass can drag brush to the chipper. Finding one that knows how to prune, run ropes, work on equipment, safety minded, doesn't complain and has his act together is another story. So far the best I can come up with is guy A or B... or find kid "C" and put a schoolin on him. But time is running out, springs gonna be here soon.

Watch them Dumbasses around the Chipper!

Haha, I'll be calling if Yarnell ever lets me go. To tell ya the truth, I don't get paid much, work with a few #######s and do some BS work at times, but Yarnell treats me pretty good and I have some nice perks to the job. It would be hard to leave them for another tree co.

Weekends are a possibility though if we don't have sidework lined up. My partner (Jeff, the other guy with me the one day we stopped by) is a good climber (climbs for the crane at Yarnell everyday) and we have the equipment already to run a crew.

I hear ya man, goes with the territory. If things ever go south for you the door is open over here my friend

2 new guys I had coming today didn't even show up or call *smacks forehead*

Thankfully I called another worker that substitute teaches part time and he was available. Came right out to the job.

I also found 2 great climbers on craigs- 1 is 26 and he ISA prunes and works hard. The other is 40 and works like an animal. I haven't seen a lot of his pruning yet. Beastmaster also works with me sometimes and he is awesome :kilt:

The old guy

"Fitz" came to work for me at age 52, fourteen years ago. Just passed a month ago, shoveling snow in his driveway. At 5'5" and 150 lbs, he not only outworked many a younger BSer, he was dependable, looked out for me and my business, came in early to work to make sure all the trucks and equipment were ready for the day... Irreplaceable. At $12.00 per hour I'd give him a try.

View attachment 224057

Latest posts

Back