hiring help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was looking at a couple of want ads that one of our largest services around here had put out a couple of weeks ago. $12 starting pay for a climber. $7-$8 an hour for a ground man, depending on experience.

WOW. Thats just way wrong in any part of the country. I would think.

yeah that is crazy, I'm not that cheap cause ya get what you pay for usually.

Hey you guys I never offered him at 12.00, that's what he wrote down on the application as salary desired. Not gonna argue with him - if I hire him..

That climber never showed, tried calling him and got the ol voicemail. No real big surprise there hell I even half expected it. The quest continues...

yeah that is crazy, I'm not that cheap cause ya get what you pay for usually.

Hey you guys I never offered him at 12.00, that's what he wrote down on the application as salary desired. Not gonna argue with him - if I hire him..

That climber never showed, tried calling him and got the ol voicemail. No real big surprise there hell I even half expected it. The quest continues...

You are trying to get a Climber at 12.00 ? Am I reading that right?

224240d1329405964-img_0550-jpg
Parts of NJ are nice but you couldnt pay me enough to stay there longer than it takes to drive through it.

View attachment 224240

Well first there would be travel time how many hours away is he?
not sure where in Tenn. he is but I drive down to the Bristol race and its like an 8 hr drive
You are trying to get a Climber at 12.00 ? Am I reading that right?
hell no, if I could find a REALLY GOOD climber I'd pay him almost double that
Parts of NJ are nice but you couldnt pay me enough to stay there longer than it takes to drive through it.

the weather is brutal that's for sure

Looking for help

Been trying to get a climber and another groundie in this season. I've got an add in a couple papers for the positions. Had no luck, not even 1 call for a climber (big surprise there..) but had several calls about a ground man position. After talking with a handful of guys over the phone I narrowed it down to 2 that sounded the most promising.

They both came in yesterday for an interview and told them I'd get back to them today. I can only hire 1 and I can't decide which is the best man for the position. Guy "A" is an older dude, 52 I think. He said he was laid off from another tree service and wasn't real happy there. Claims he can "kinda" run a crane. Claims he can do some pruning, run a saw safely, operate any piece of machinery, drive big trucks and be a good asset to the company. Looks like he's been around the block and done his share of partying in his younger years, but saise he's clean. He's not asking for much - 12$ an hour.

Guy "B" is a younger dude - 38. Saise he's a roofer and does his own thing on the side. Just moved over here from the other side of town and looking for a full time gig. He's a bigger strong looking kid, looks like he could drag some brush for sure. Claims he can do removals from a bucket and run a saw but that's about it. There is no way I'd let him loose in a bucket - I know better.. Also saise he can operate any piece of machinery and drive big trucks. No experience in pruning or climbing. He seams to be a BS'er though, I know the type..And I think he's looking to get 13$-14$ an hour.

I've already got 2 guys that are equal to or better then these 2 prospects, guess I could use one more. What I really need is TREE PEOPLE, but that almost seems impossible anymore. I have the worst luck trying to get decent help. It's looking like it's all on my shoulders again this season, climbing, pruning and anything else with any importance is going to have to be done by me, with 3 brush draggers that can drive trucks..

So what would you guys do if you were in my position? Guy "A", guy "B", or eff em both and keep looking? Keep in mind these were the 2 best prospects out of about 10 - 12 calls..

Why don't you put your ad in the "employment forum" on this website?

well I'd throw some calls your way but it might be little ways away to deliver

Finding good workers/climbers is borderline impossible finding ones that will stay after a year is even harder.

Most of the good guys have a sweet deal or do Thier only thing. Only reason I have another good climber that works for me is that he left Bartlett with me. I was building up my arsenal while I worked Thier.

You gotta pay them well also I have to garuntee him work year round. So when it slows down I just let him take care of it. To keep him busy. Or if we get rained out for a week he still gets paid.

I offer full Benefits to still hard to find good climbers. And if they worked everyday they would be making 40-50k a year.

Last edited:
Finding good workers/climbers is borderline impossible finding ones that will stay after a year is even harder.

Most of the good guys have a sweet deal or do Thier only thing. Only reason I have another good climber that works for me is that he left Bartlett with me. I was building up my arsenal while I worked Thier.

You gotta pay them well also I have to garuntee him work year round. So when it slows down I just let him take care of it. To keep him busy. Or if we get rained out for a week he still gets paid.

I offer full Benefits to still hard to find good climbers. And if they worked everyday they would be making 40-50k a year.
Well we are in a Depression you know these guys know there aint that much work out there all the time .Winter slows a lot in the colder part of the Country they know this.

Back