hiring help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darned est thing, aftyer reading this thread this morn i got a call from a guy looking for work. He sounds promising. Claims he can climb alittle although i am skeptical on that one,of course i am always a skeptic..... I guess he was in the army a while and had done tree service before that and some since. Ah who knows, i am gonna meet him this weekend for a cup of coffee.

darned est thing, aftyer reading this thread this morn i got a call from a guy looking for work. He sounds promising. Claims he can climb alittle although i am skeptical on that one,of course i am always a skeptic..... I guess he was in the army a while and had done tree service before that and some since. Ah who knows, i am gonna meet him this weekend for a cup of coffee.

good luck man. my prospect climber was a no show this morning, left old man B a message today - no call back.. people suck

Second that!

Sj, I will come climb for you. I am slow, but dont brake stuff. Plus I have a class A cdl

Thanks man, I'm not really doing much right now just working on equipment mostly. We're getting a couple days of tree work in a week maybe just working around the weather on better days. Trying to get a couple more good guys in place so when we take off in the spring we're good ta go.

good luck man. my prospect climber was a no show this morning, left old man B a message today - no call back.. people suck

They do suck. They was prolly feeling good cuz they figured they was getting jobs so they went and got drunk. After they got drunk they talked there "buddy' into loaning them some money. They drank some more then called there "dude" and got some rock or some meth.prolly sleeping it off. maybe.

They do suck. They was prolly feeling good cuz they figured they was getting jobs so they went and got drunk. After they got drunk they talked there "buddy' into loaning them some money. They drank some more then called there "dude" and got some rock or some meth.prolly sleeping it off. maybe.

that sounds about right

If you have a full time fire dept. in your area, check with the guys at one of the stations. They'll most likely only be available part time. But may fill the need you require.

Well both of my new hires did well today. They don't know #### and I like it that way. That way I can teach them how I like things done. My longtime groundy is in time out. I'm giving him a hiatus until he figures some things out. I may take him back after he thinks on it awhile... But not if these guys work out. Last time I gave him a 6 month hiatus...

SJ, when the tree services here are looking for climbers or ground help they post a sign on the barbwire fence across from the exit of our local green waste where everyone dumps. It's a good way to judge the tree economy here. Used to be that fence was lined with help wanted signs. I have seen only one looking for a climber all Fall and Winter and it was only there briefly.

You getting calls now?

I am not advertising but I do get an occasional call. I have turned away about 12 cords of business simply because I don't have anything seasoned left to sell.

Well both of my new hires did well today. They don't know #### and I like it that way. That way I can teach them how I like things done. My longtime groundy is in time out. I'm giving him a hiatus until he figures some things out. I may take him back after he thinks on it awhile... But not if these guys work out. Last time I gave him a 6 month hiatus...

SJ, when the tree services here are looking for climbers or ground help they post a sign on the barbwire fence across from the exit of our local green waste where everyone dumps. It's a good way to judge the tree economy here. Used to be that fence was lined with help wanted signs. I have seen only one looking for a climber all Fall and Winter and it was only there briefly.

good luck with your greenhorns md hopefully they work out good. I'm trying out the older one on monday

good luck with your greenhorns md hopefully they work out good. I'm trying out the older one on monday

I got one older one and one younger. They both busted ass today and humped it out. Not stupid and look for stuff to do to keep themselves busy. That's all I can ask for... Oh yeah, and neither one of them came to work smelling of alcohol.

Finding good workers/climbers is borderline impossible finding ones that will stay after a year is even harder.

Most of the good guys have a sweet deal or do Thier only thing. Only reason I have another good climber that works for me is that he left Bartlett with me. I was building up my arsenal while I worked Thier.

You gotta pay them well also I have to garuntee him work year round. So when it slows down I just let him take care of it. To keep him busy. Or if we get rained out for a week he still gets paid.

I offer full Benefits to still hard to find good climbers. And if they worked everyday they would be making 40-50k a year.

Glad yer back matt, felt bad for running you off.Sometimes I forget that not everyone can handle another guys b.s. You are tender guy and I should respect that.
Anyway back on topic, which hits home with me. Using you as a example, a descent sized outfit and your climber still isn't breaking 50k. When I quit my boss told me he was going to miss me and I was going to very hard to replace. "guys of yer caliber usually have there own buisness. I just smiled
I just did my taxes Last year I made 56k and I'm only stating that to prove that most company climbers don't make near that. Why risk your life, beat yer self up and make 40 grand or less, unless you are drunk or have no ambition...hmmm
Anyway best of luck, in the end you either have to pay or get out there and climb some trees.If I ever fulfill my dreams of seeing the beauty of Ohio Ill stop by, Ill bet I see ya outwest first.

wait till you pay em!

Well the older guy is in recovery and has been sober for 20 years so I hope I don't send him over the edge... :hmm3grin2orange:

The younger guy, yup, he was drinking a beer right after work. He's my buddy's son and I stopped by after work. No beer for me tonight, I'm too tired and need to get up early to hit it again. I drink a lot more coffee than beer at the end of the day but that wasn't the case when I was 25 either. ;)

So a potential employee calls me today from a convenience store phone...

Leaves a message: "Hi, this is Blanety-blank, I see we've had a mild winter so maybe you're getting busy early this year." "I've been climbing for about a year-and-a-half." "Don't call me at the last number I left, that's my girlfiriend's phone; we're not together any more." So he leaves two more phone numbers. I will keep his number(s) on file. I'm looking to hire one good full-time employee and one good part-timer, he's prolly neither, so I added him to my long list of 1-day-laborers: I figure if I keep ten of these guys in rotation, I'll always have the brush dragging covered. What could go wrong....

Back