Hit a Gold mine in saws today !! woah is all i have to say

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LMT: where you at in N.C.?...might be interested in coming to see you if you make this score. A tip; when negotiating a deal, pull out your wad of cash and let him see it...makes a world of difference!

Hello.
From your original posting, it seems as though you have "Buck Fever", bad.
Understandable....

I would not concern myself with selling/preselling what I don't have.
At .50 per lb., and a rough avg. of 20lbs per older saw.. that's about $10.00 ea--some are lighter...the newer stuff will be.

If this is a salvage yard, the owner is primarily concerned with moving METAL.
Doesn't care about saws like us.
So, a truck could come any day and carry them all away! Or, they get dumped in a grinder or crusher. That's what it's like @ my local salvage yard.
[this is based on the "per lb." pricing]

If you try to take orders long enough, it could be gone!

General advise >> buy all the STIHL's Husky's Dolmars, etc. now. Old big huge MAC's are not generally valuable. [sometimes @ $20.00 don't even get a bid on Ebay]
Buy all the good Homelites you want....

But I would get the stuff soon.
If you have CASH available at all -- use it. This should be a very good investment. AS members will surely want some of it. Your investment will come back. And all the items you want, if handled correctly, you'll have
zero in.

To put it another way, how many STIHLS [complete, not crushed] would you buy for $10.00 each ??
Answer = all they have!

When you go back to the business--take green CASH.
Forget the .50 per lb.

Ask the OWNER how much he would take now -- CASH, for that old pile of saws in his way ?? NO lbs -- CASH vs. PILE ! --- show me da money!
It could easily be that the net cents per lb will DROP !

Bottom line, buy all the good stuff NOW. If he will make a package deal, take it all.
Easy to sort thru it at home/shop.
Focus on obtaining for the best deal.
Good Luck.

How much time could he be wasting? He started this thread last night! lol
And if he has already made a price per lb....as cheap as .50 per pound...you are askin to get screwed. Cause neither you or him knows how much a truckload of old saws weighs without putting it on the scale. So you could easily make a cash offer over what it would cost per pound. And if you lowball him... prob gonna tell you to leave them.

Me, too....

Hey, Calvin.

You really need to get some pix of these piles of saws. I've got CAD as bad or worse than anyone here... but I have seen some big old 30-pound chainsaws not worth $15 and shipping from NC to me... Some of the big old antiques missing key parts really are just junk metal to me... especially if you add $25-30 shipping costs to them. So some pix of these would be a real help to those of us who can send you cash money to go make a deal with the metal dealer for the whole pile... minus the dead-wood...

You know that I am interested in any big old antique Mac's -- any model... and any other saws from the '50's and 60's... Mall, Lombard, Lancaster, Pull-On, Homelice and all the rest of 'em... any saws with bow bars, 2-mans...

Do you have a truck and trailer to haul the pile in?? Somebody here who is close to where Calvin is should maybe go over and help him with this... 50 miles away means a 3-hour trip to get some pix and grab right-off the most valuable ones... then show us the pix here... and we can all fight over who gets what, when, and for how much cash sent to you quick.

But and also!!!!! Calvin, you will need to really get organized to ship chainsaws to 28 different guys all over the place... That's not a simple task. It will require getting a bunch of sturdy boxes, packing material, and a chunk of your time in packing and shipping saws to people... None of us will want to wait until April 2009 to get chainsaws we pay cash money up-front for...
So think about the over-all tasks involved if several of us send you cash to get 'em...

Finally... DON'T THROW AWAY THE BARS!!!! It's no damned good to get a Porter-Cable 534 that some mis-aligned seller has removed the P-C bar from... and hafta go lookin' for a real Porter-Cable bar for the old sweetheart... Unless you're sure that the bars are common and easily replaced, DON'T THROW AWAY THE BARS!!!

Let us know how, where and when you can get on this. And if you need some help on the spot, recruit someone nearby to go help you. PM me (or better, email me if you've still got my email address from when I got those bow bars from you a year or so ago).

Set aside all the old big antique Mac's for me and RandyMac and ChainsawWhisperer...

Ken

Some Good , Some Bad Advise

Calvin --

I responded last night to your "Gold Mine". It truly sounds like you've hit one.
Congratulations.

Have beening reading AS for a while but am a new member. Not new to saws at all.
Your posts are always friendly and helpful. Example, willing to send IPL's for MAC's to anyone! Great. Super nice.

A few points to clarify & stress ---
1- this is a VOLATILE selling/buying scenario. [if you are good buddy's with the seller & he is holding them for you, forget this statement -- in fact it effects EVERYTHING said]
Anyone selling virtually anything by the lb. could care less about the items in particular. This is METAL and $$$. to the seller. Simply. And cold.

What makes it volatile is that these saws could be there a couple of months,
or [1] week! Unknown--but do you want to gamble on a Gold Mine?

2- Some AS memebers are wanting PIX [reasonable], descriptions, etc.
All fair and good. But TIME is not your friend in this deal. Someone else w/CAD or a dealer could pick them up. Gone. How long will it take to go back,
get PIX, sent to all interested parties, wait for responses, make a deal, then wait for a Money Order to come -- could be [3] weeks. 100% of nothing is nothing. Might all work out fine. But, Gambling on a Gold Mine.....
What if AS members sent you $$$ and the saws got sold or ground up before you got them ?? Nightmare.

3- Calvin, at this point this is an INVESTMENT. One AS memeber commented on the hectic nature of promising/shipping "28" saws at once. Up front money buyers will want action--reasonable. But stressfull for you!
You have not commented on the exact amount of saws there.

###'s -- I don't belive you've stated a close guesstimate of how many saws are there. 800lbs. of saws x .50cents per lb. is $400. and at 20lbs each, [40]
saws. Are there more than [40] saws ?? You could sell a half-dozen of the STIHL's and get back $400.- quick. The rest of the 800lbs is FREE!

I like you Calvin--nice guy. Bottom line advise. Try to get all the cash together that you can, and go buy all that you can.
It will be SO much easier on you to handle selling & shipping when then are back @ your shop.

Don't gamble on a Gold Mine.
Best of Good Fortune.

From One Butt Pimple to another Butt Pimple !

Hello.
General advise >> buy all the STIHL's Husky's Dolmars, etc. now. Old big huge MAC's are not generally valuable. [sometimes @ $20.00 don't even get a bid on Ebay]

You are pretty funny for a butt pimple

Glad you though my post was funny.
Calvin was looking for advice and help. He has a rare and valuable opportunity. Probably deserves a home run deal....

He had[has] financial concerns. This is an important INVESTMENT to him. Needs to get this one done right.

He wanted/needed help with priorities in buying these saws. Funds could be short. What to buy??

I personally have about [25] saws. sometimes loose count/track of them.
All kinds. I love old MAC's -- got [8] of them!

But, you and other AS members miss the point, and his original concern.
What to buy if funds are short!

His general description of the "old Mac" was like a huge old gear drive saw.
NOT a PM800 or nice PM10-10S.
These old gear drives, regardless if one loves them, just don't bring much dinero. If AS members want them all, why do they go UNsold on Ebay??

Would you rather invest in a STIHL 028 Super or 041/051/021 or a MAC 250 @ .50cents per lb.?? Plus a big old MAC weighs a good bit.
If funds are short, there ain't but one answer!

Let's try to help Calvin get this deal done right.

P.S. I handle saw sales constantly. I'm the Sales Manager of a STIHL Dealership. [in buisiness since 1955]

Time !

How much time could he be wasting? He started this thread last night! lol
And if he has already made a price per lb....as cheap as .50 per pound...you are askin to get screwed. Cause neither you or him knows how much a truckload of old saws weighs without putting it on the scale. So you could easily make a cash offer over what it would cost per pound. And if you lowball him... prob gonna tell you to leave them.

It doesn't matter when he started the tread. It matters how long the saws have been there or even will be there...
Simple math ain't too tough. 40-50 saws laying there. 20lbs each for ###'
sake. 800-1000 lbs.
If I overpay a little bit, and I got a great deal--who cares.
But Calvin has clearly stated funds are tight. I do not arrogantly lowball, I ask him what it would take ??? One AS member stated it perfectly--"as I was pulling the cash out of my pocket"!
Tax-free cash to a seller virtually always helps.
This would benefit Calvin. The point here!

There are several AS members that collect and use McCulloch geardrives, many of them are worth a fair amount. As for some being left unsold, that is not limited to McCulloch geardrives, lots of chainsaws go unsold or for next to nothing, junk is always junk, doesn't matter who made it. Your advice on dealing with unknown "junk" was ok.
I would have called you an anal abcess, but that would have given you some significance.

Hmm, The last non-running 125 went for $350 plus $40 bucks shipping...and I'd say a 125 qualifies as a Big, Huge old Mac...

The last 101B Kartsaw went for $1100.00...another big, huge old Mac. :monkey:

Pitiful !

There are several AS members that collect and use McCulloch geardrives, many of them are worth a fair amount. As for some being left unsold, that is not limited to McCulloch geardrives, lots of chainsaws go unsold or for next to nothing, junk is always junk, doesn't matter who made it. Your advice on dealing with unknown "junk" was ok.
I would have called you an anal abcess, but that would have given you some significance.

RandyMac -- the common is the common. I personally have a nice Super 44.
neat saw.
But all of you are still missing the point!
Calvin does not know all about the various MAC's, values, etc.
Yea there may be a 125 or someting real neat in the pile. Maybe a BP-1 !
Want to bet on it???????????????????

Can we say 3-25 or 4-30 or 1-50 ????
Calvin would go check out this stuff thinking you might be real interested....
Then, most probably by the odds, you find out it's some of the above.
Start whining to him about shipping costs, etc.

I see a lot of these old saws bring very little. Really a shame. Neat saws.

Junk can be defined at least [2] ways -- poor Model and desireability
or weak condition.

I'm interested in a poor condition BP-1 any day.

Time, Watson, time ! It's what Calvin doesn't have an unlimited supply of in this deal.
Your childish name calling is duly noted.......

Odds !!!

Hmm, The last non-running 125 went for $350 plus $40 bucks shipping...and I'd say a 125 qualifies as a Big, Huge old Mac...

The last 101B Kartsaw went for $1100.00...another big, huge old Mac. :monkey:

Jacob J --- got any real cash you want to bet there is a $350.00-$400.00
125 in that stack ?? Abstract City.
Yes. Certain rarer old Mac's do have good value. Just NOT the majority.
Do not get off track with the issue at hand.
Calvin is!

Not a Kart expert ...
But a 101B is a very small Kart specific MAC engine--they bring big bucks!
Ain't no saw... at least all I've seen on ebay.
Usually painted red/white/blue -- big pumper carb!
Kinda missed on this one. ain't no big old Mac.
$1100. was a super nice one.

Think there might be one in Calvin's saw pile?
Regards.

Jacob J --- got any real cash you want to bet there is a $350.00-$400.00
125 in that stack ?? Abstract City.
Yes. Certain rarer old Mac's do have good value. Just NOT the majority.
Do not get off track with the issue at hand.
Calvin is!

Not a Kart expert ...
But a 101B is a very small Kart specific MAC engine--they bring big bucks!
Ain't no saw... at least all I've seen on ebay.
Usually painted red/white/blue -- big pumper carb!
Kinda missed on this one. ain't no big old Mac.
$1100. was a super nice one.

Think there might be one in Calvin's saw pile?
Regards.

Not the majority? The last 640 for sale on Craigslist here got good money. 790/795/797 saws and any others in that series always do well. The last 895 in a pawn shop here got $285. 1-70 and 1-80 series saws always do well on e-bay, unless they're horrid. Of course there's always a market for two-man saws...

Every brand has its junkers. Oh and Calvin does know what these models look like. He's sent IPLs for them to several members, and not just on this forum either. He may not pick a kartsaw out of a pile but he can spot a 125, I'm pretty sure of it.

Yep, pretty sure Calvin can pick the goats from the sheep and he knows that he can ask and get quick IDs on anything.
As for junk, with the real McCullochs, I go with condition, something rotten or beat-up is junk. As with anything, if it is shot, it is probably junk.
I have seen 250s go for a pretty stiff price, they are one of the most common ones found. 3-25s, they were made for quite awhile, lots of them out there, a decent one will cost you. Mac 15s, the cheapy homeowner saw, they run fairly high, often more than new, they made tons of them. They don't have to be BP-1 rare to run you some bucks.

Mess,
I guess, maybe, calling you a butt pimple was a bit much, I really don't know you well enough to saddle you with a salty name. So, for now, I will think of you as BP-1.

He could always take a cell phone with him and make arrangements to talk with a knowlegable member.Real Time so to speak.

He could always take a cell phone with him and make arrangements to talk with a knowlegable member.Real Time so to speak.

Im on my way up there to get some model #s written down and i will take and pay close attn on the condition of each unit along with model #s i will have my camera with me to get photos of the piles this may take me a few hrs to do but i will have my cell phone on me if anyone wants to call me give me about 1.5 to 2 hrs from this time of post

thanks
calvin

I hear what messenger is saying and I hear the opposition. I had mac 35 gear drive that I couldn't get even 20 bucks for and it ran this past summer. Yes, it was posted here on AS for sale. I sold it on ebay for 15.

Some Macs bring really good money, but they have to be in decent shape.

Overall, Calvin needs to focus on Stihl and huskys because they are more of a sure sell.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. It would be nice to have him sell the saws here, but ebay would probably be easier and more profitable.

I need a piston and cylinder for a Homelite Wiz and Zip that are rebuildable. I will pay $20.00 for each set plus shipping. Tom

Calvin, you could have a real money maker here, but to be honest, you
need to think less about being a buddy, and more about pulling your business
up and into the black.

If you sell this stuff dirt cheap, you will have lot's of "buddies". Until
the saws are gone.

Send me a p.m.

Back