Hit a Gold mine in saws today !! woah is all i have to say

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Calvin, what have you got in the way of monster homelites? i sent u that message bout lookin for a 909 over at the house, but by the sounds of things there isnt quite anything that big. thanks man!

update i called the place and they told me no pictures and no writing down on paper so i guess that blows that out of the window

but anyway i kind of think what i can do is invest in what i can but i may just leave the certain saws there such as the ones that are locked up tight those type i will just leave there and grab those that are not siezed up

i told the people i will be there with my trailer on tuesday what i hope to do before then is to be able to make the funds i need to get as many of them as possible

with that in mind i know i still have a husky 55 rancher in my shop on the bench with no carb on it and no carb cover i am going to be doing a compression test on it here in a little while im running out of daylight but i have to get some parts written down on paper so i can post them on my website to hopefully sell

i also have some other husky model out by my shop that i dont have a model on it as of yet but will get it also i have my hands on a stihl 031 av that a good freind of mine has he is one of them kind of people that do not throw away things of value he rather sell it i found out the local landfill here does not take lawnmowers chainsaws tillers etc. so chances are i may be getting them to send people to me as a drop off location if that happens then i bet you i will have tons of stihls come in along with other brands

i know i been a pain on here in the past said some things that offended lots of people well i want to say im sorry if that ever happened i realize everyone is hurting in this economy crisis but i do ask that you can offer me advice on how to go about this ordeal

i do know there is another salvage yard here closer to me i may be able to find saws there as well cause that is where the landfill people send people tooo to dump off there equipment which half the time nothing serious wrong with them just needs tlc most the times it is carb related issues on the units that people think i just throw it away and get a new one when it would of been better for them to keep it and fix it than buying a new one expecally in todays quality type units

sorry about being long winded but i had to update everyone on this

what these people told me so i did not even go cause its so far to drive and all so i am glad i called first

he did tell me if i got the whole trailer it would be $ 0.40 cents a lb

question is the super 2 homelites theres tons of them floating around correct ? so if they are in the bundle should i just throw them out to the side ?

to conserve on the cost

of Fish im glad to see you post been worried about ya

calvin

Calvin, you could have a real money maker here, but to be honest, you
need to think less about being a buddy, and more about pulling your business
up and into the black.

If you sell this stuff dirt cheap, you will have lot's of "buddies". Until
the saws are gone.

Send me a p.m.

(Calvin) I agree, and if you can do it without taking money up front from people here, you'll be better off. I'd be more than happy to send you cash now to help with the buying, but then of course I'm going to want first dibs on any real cool stuff.

Hey Calvin, what have you got in the way of monster homelites? i sent u that message bout lookin for a 909 over at the house, but by the sounds of things there isnt quite anything that big. thanks man!

they still have another trailer there that i never looked at well they call it hampers for some reason

I see, I'm with a lot of the guys here, I dont really have the cash to help you out (yay economy!), but could afford to buy one saw, of course provided the right saw is there. And whats up with them not letting you making up lists of model #'s....? But i would say you have the right idea, see what for funding you can put together then only take the more desirable saws (like you said leave the super 2 homies or other really common saws) good luck and keep us posted on how things sort out!

I see, I'm with a lot of the guys here, I dont really have the cash to help you out (yay economy!), but could afford to buy one saw, of course provided the right saw is there. And whats up with them not letting you making up lists of model #'s....? But i would say you have the right idea, see what for funding you can put together then only take the more desirable saws (like you said leave the super 2 homies or other really common saws) good luck and keep us posted on how things sort out!

A lot of salvage yards have a policy similar to that because they don't want people going through and 'creaming' stuff. Basically, if you agree to buy so many pounds worth of stuff, they point to a pile and you take it all.

up and into the black.

the saws are gone.

Send me a p.m.

Well said Fish.

Lets keep this thread clear of people wanting/asking for parts. Post should only provide advice for Calvin.

Peace !

Yep, pretty sure Calvin can pick the goats from the sheep and he knows that he can ask and get quick IDs on anything.
As for junk, with the real McCullochs, I go with condition, something rotten or beat-up is junk. As with anything, if it is shot, it is probably junk.
I have seen 250s go for a pretty stiff price, they are one of the most common ones found. 3-25s, they were made for quite awhile, lots of them out there, a decent one will cost you. Mac 15s, the cheapy homeowner saw, they run fairly high, often more than new, they made tons of them. They don't have to be BP-1 rare to run you some bucks.

Mess,
I guess, maybe, calling you a butt pimple was a bit much, I really don't know you well enough to saddle you with a salty name. So, for now, I will think of you as BP-1.

RandyMac -
I agree with you about condition. I always buy "Condition", unless something is super valuable. Just bought a super nice HomeLite "VI Super Mini". Like a
Super EZ w/ AV mounts. Amazing saw. 41cc's and it pulls a STD. 3/8" chain up to a 20" bar [mine has a 16"]. But the condition is 9outa10. Why I got it.
Very nice 1960-1980 model saws always bring good money. But they are increasinly rare.
My original point was the average or common that is "most probably" in Calvin's piles.

BP-1, huh? the initials still kinda linger as "butt-pimple" But, as one of Mac's most storied, valuable, intersting & rare saws, how can I argue with a name like that? And, coming from such an esteemed, highly regarded member as yourself...I'll take it.
Thanks.

Take this to Heart ! Amen !

up and into the black.

the saws are gone.

Send me a p.m.

Huge Ditto City .

Calvin, read this one good.
Make sure to get w/Fish.
He hit the nail on the head.
Mess.

Mac 73A

Here is an old Mac that is worth a bit more than $20. Had it been in the USA it would have probably went higher.

Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280293303815&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

Bill --
I'll probably get posts for the next [6] mos concerning a big bucks sale of an old Mac.. some thing in Amsterdam or Bangledish....
Alas, IMO, the 73A [in this listing] is probably THE Poster Child for the "big old Mac's" bringing weak dollars.
United States is all that counts here. This saw probably is valuable in Australia. Pretty rare I would think. Mac was in it's infancy.--not here.
Many times I've seen a similar condition one as this open at bidding for say,
$24.99. No bids at all until the last day. Then maybe sells for $35.00-$40.00.

That's just the market. Doubt it? Do a search on Ebay & keep looking. This does not, again, apply to Collector Grade, 90%+ original saws [superb original condition].

I was always considering the "greatest likelyhood" of what was in Calvin's salvage piles.
Thanks.

Bill --
I'll probably get posts for the next [6] mos concerning a big bucks sale of an old Mac.. some thing in Amsterdam or Bangledish....
Alas, IMO, the 73A [in this listing] is probably THE Poster Child for the "big old Mac's" bringing weak dollars.
United States is all that counts here. This saw probably is valuable in Australia. Pretty rare I would think. Mac was in it's infancy.--not here.
Many times I've seen a similar condition one as this open at bidding for say,
$24.99. No bids at all until the last day. Then maybe sells for $35.00-$40.00.

That's just the market. Doubt it? Do a search on Ebay & keep looking. This does not, again, apply to Collector Grade, 90%+ original saws [superb original condition].

I was always considering the "greatest likelyhood" of what was in Calvin's salvage piles.
Thanks.

Well the next time you see a 73 going for $24.99 you buy it and I will double youre money.

I have to chuckle when you tell me to do a search on ebay and keep looking:)

Many others will know why that makes me chuckle

Bill

73A , again

Well the next time you see a 73 going for $24.99 you buy it and I will double youre money.

I have to chuckle when you tell me to do a search on ebay and keep looking:)

Many others will know why that makes me chuckle

Bill

Bill :

Do you have a computer that is solely devoted to Ebay that runs 24/7?

The $24.99 I mentioned is a common starting listing price on Ebay. It's at the max for a certain "fee" break.
As stated, I mentioned them selling[closing price] @ $35.-40.
These are very average, well used saws -- as virtually all are.
Usually over half of the Paint gone.

For instance, there is a decent looking MAC 250 NOW with less than [3] hours to go, [1] bid for $25.00 ! This is a complete, not destroyed saw.
Looks OK. $25.00.

I'll certainly let you know when I see one. How much do you normally pay for
these avg. condition [fairly substantial paint-loss/non-runners/complete]
73A's ? $200 like the one in Australia ? the Aus saw was no primo saw to me.

Last year I bought a very nice, well above average Super 44 for $60.-total.
Not much paint loss at all--homeowner use.
Probably could have got it for less....

Another AS thread had commentary on ebay sales last weekend. There were
[2] very rare [and superb] condition HomeLites. both went over $300.00.
This is NOT the class of saw we are describing here.

Thanks.

ChainSaw ?

That's exactly right--I watched them go through fleabay.......

Casey

Hello.
alpinecrick-

Do you know what a 101B is ??

If you watched it go thru fleabay, you know it CANNOT cut wood !
It is a Racing Kart Engine. No bar studs, rear handle, chain oiler, or fuel tank.

As common sense would dictate, my original "general" statement about old Mac values did not pertain to all items ever made in the history of the
McCulloch Corp.

Additionally, Calvin's original post had nothing to do with Kart engines!
The subject was [salvage?] chainsaws.

These racing Kart engines do bring very good money. I've seen past $1250...

The point is it just has nothing to with this thread.
It ain't a Chainsaw..........

Thanks.

nor is it about the value of old big mac saws but you keep arguing the point, a saw is as valuable as a person is willing to pay and how can you put a value on that, you can't........I just paid $55 for a old mac 310 that doesn't run, why cause I need a few small parts that are NLA.........

Hello.
alpinecrick-

Do you know what a 101B is ??

If you watched it go thru fleabay, you know it CANNOT cut wood !
It is a Racing Kart Engine. No bar studs, rear handle, chain oiler, or fuel tank.

As common sense would dictate, my original "general" statement about old Mac values did not pertain to all items ever made in the history of the
McCulloch Corp.

These racing Kart engines do bring very good money. I've seen past $1250...

The point is it just has nothing to with this thread.
It ain't a Chainsaw..........

Thanks.

Yes it was a chainsaw, it was a Mac 125 with a 101b kart engine in it. Apparently you don't know your Mac history too well. McCulloch made a small run of 'kartsaws' i.e. chainsaws with the kart blocks in them. Yes, they had oil tanks, bar studs, dawgs, rear handle, fuel tank, etc.

Bob McCulloch authorized a small run of 101b motors placed in the Super Pro 125 chassis at the factory after doing a bunch of R&D in the field with timber fallers. My dad happened to be one of those men and he got three of the kartsaws, of which I still have one.

Common sense would dictate that no, there's not a kartsaw sitting in some salvage yard in New Hampshire or where ever, but my point was that it's possible for Calvin to stumble across a 125, 797, 740, 12-25, etc. in one of those piles.

I wouldn't mind if Santa brought me oh, 3 or 4 hundred pounds worth of 044's or 066's. The newer MS series will be OK to. I will leave milk and cookies.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back