Hit a Gold mine in saws today !! woah is all i have to say

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawnmowertech37

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i hit a gold mine of Homelites today at a salvage yard i dont know if they are any good but i am thinking of getting them at least the side bar covers are in good condition and the carbs can be re done there is about 4-5 blue homelites there in the pile also one im going to use for the throttle handle matchs the one i need to a T

but is the wrong color lol

in this pile are get this old mcculloch saws one mcculloch that is a huge monster of a saw has a bow bar still attached to it 2 super wiz 66 saws or zip not sure but they are bulky

bunch of Stihl older model saws Husqvarna saws Pioneer saws Homelite saws Echo saws McCulloch saws David bradley saw
Remington is even in this pile

Craftsman Poulan Etc, there are tons of them some missing parts and some complete saws my question is this is it worth getting this from this person they told me they are selling them at $ .50 cents a lb

i told them them homelites are worth keeping cause people needing parts for them all the time same thing with the older macs they may be in that bin pile but they can be reworked from the proper people

what you all think and does anyone need of of these older saws for parts ?

i may need help in purchasing them since the homelites alone that i can find came to $ 276.00 cause they weigh like 300 some lbs

i just need your alls info on this and what you think is worth snatching what mac models is there a demand for parts and what stihl models and husky models is a demand for used parts for ?

i already had a customer today call me right after i left looking for a Transformer for a 360 i told him i may have my hands on a used one cause in the homelite pile is a 350 homelite saw complete i told him i may just sell the whole saw as is

so im asking you all which models is worth snatching to avoid them from dimoloshing them and turning them into scrap metal

i cannot understand why people throw away good quality saws stihl shindaiwa husky homelite mac for in the first place just to go buy a cheap plastic saw at walmart that wont last them a long time

i think i even saw a stihl 021 AV in that pile

how ever old the 021 AV is ?
thanks
calvin

Last edited:
Craftsman Poulan Etc, there are tons of them some missing parts and some complete saws my question is this is it worth getting this from this person they told me they are selling them at $ .50 cents a lb
(...)
i may need help in purchasing them since the homelites alone that i can find came to $ 276.00 cause they weigh like 300 some lbs

$276 at $.50 per pound is 552 pounds. Your numbers are fuzzy. :)

We are just kids in a candy shop.....congrats.

You'll get interest in "one mcculloch that is a huge monster of a saw has a bow bar still attached "
What old Stihls did he have ?

......hows your Dad doing ?

i did not get a chance to glance they have another trailer bin that i did not look in yet i wish i can get csx to meet me there on saturday since he is in that area he ought to know what is worth snatching and what is not i may just put that poulan wild thing back in the trailer

but he had a 021av stihl i did see and some other stihls

has some husqvarnas there as well
but i did not check to see if they are locked up but even if they are i probily can hone the cylinders out and at least save the cylinders to be put on another homelite with a set of rings

i notice on the other thread someone wants a blue homelite and a red one that dont run i may make there day when they read this thread
i pulled out about 5 blue xl saws to say do not touch this so they have the saws pulled to the side so the guy that tears them apart wont get there hands on them at least

if i took my camera i would of took some pictures of that monster of a mac saw they even have one of them stihl cut off saws there couple poulan 306a and i even saw a S25 series and 2 micro xxv saws

so yes there is some quality in them bins

if only i had the funds to buy all them then go and send them off to people but getting them funds is going to be the hard part

my dad has his days he feels under the weather and then has his days where he feel ok i worry about him and mom all the time

Any big Lime Green ones in there?

you talking about poulans the answer is yes and im not referring to the plastic poulans only found one of them the people said them saws been in there possession for about 3-4 years or more and they are just now starting to tear them down im glad i found them all i did was made a phone call the other day trying to find a customers throttle handle for his xl 12 cause the reed valve seat area is cracked

which is causing the reed to have a gap in it its suppose to be flush against the throttle handle but there is a gap there

but anyway the person told me to call this place that they have tons of saws well i went there today and they were correct two big 12 " long 5 ft tall trailer bins full of saws and few trimmers more saws than trimmers

i know i yanked the homelite super 66 wiz out from under the pile actually 2 wiz 66 models they are either wiz 66 or simialr to it then there is another saw that had the name on it i never heard of but for some reason i forgot what the name said

lombard or something like that

but its identical to the wiz or buz saw
but anyway alot of antiques saws in that bundle i tryed pulling one of them homelites over and can you believe it had good compression almost yanked my hand out

i think whats weighing is them chain bars so what i may do is remove the bars from the saws

those monster saws is where all the weight came from

if they were not 50 miles one way from me i would go there tommorrow evening to take pictures but they are 50 miles down the road

there was a heavy i mean heavy mcculloch that had a bar on it that i say that bar in circle size was about 8 -9 inchs round huge bar hard nose at that

and the mac saws i saw a bunch of yellow saws i said i know what color macs are

i never seen a pure white chainsaw before i forgot to get a name off it but it may of been a stihl

but pure white

it may help to identify that big mac the crankcase is huge almost the size of a persons chest area also it has a black rubber cover that goes over the top of the spark plug entrance

if that rings any bells on the macs

Last edited:
I still need a mac 310, 320 or 330 and will pay you $1.50 a pound plus shipping.

thats all im interested in is the pound

i think that is more than fair

especally on used saws but getting a good part off one is worth it all

i know what im after is them homelite xl 12 and sxlao the side bar covers are in decent condition just need some paint work

i think there is a 240 a 350 i also got two more homelites today for free from another place on the way to them Free 330 and a Free XL 12 red

the kind that takes the long grommet for the hi lo setting screws on the carb the carbs on them saws i think can be fixed soaked in carb cleaner and put kits in the carbs tons of SDC walbros etc.

so there are parts that can be used

there is also some old huskys in that bunch i mean monster size husky saws i did not get any models was running out of time

but i be glad to take you on the offer

Last edited:
Give me a price on any roller nose bars in there (all of them). If you can forgive me for busting your balls in the past.:cheers: Malls and remingtons are what i'm looking for especially, but I'll take any roller as long as it spins. PM me a price including shipping if you want.

thats all im interested in is the pound

i think that is more than fair

especally on used saws but getting a good part off one is worth it all

i know what im after is them homelite xl 12 and sxlao the side bar covers are in decent condition just need some paint work

i think there is a 240 a 350 i also got two more homelites today for free from another place on the way to them Free 330 and a Free XL 12 red

the kind that takes the long grommet for the hi lo setting screws on the carb the carbs on them saws i think can be fixed soaked in carb cleaner and put kits in the carbs tons of SDC walbros etc.

so there are parts that can be used

there is also some old huskys in that bunch i mean monster size husky saws i did not get any models was running out of time

but i be glad to take you on the offer

Calvin if you are interested in making some money off this project, instead of worrying about XL 12 bar covers, you should be interested in the more modern saws. You will get more cash for modern parts than the old parts, unless it is something rare, or if they are in prime condition. Most of the older saws are not worth much, unless it's a very large cc older saw. The old saws are neat and there are several collector out there, but most collectors have 100's of old parts saws laying around. List an XL 12 bar cover and a MS660 bar cover on Ebay and see which brings the most. Any Stihl, Husky, Jred saw even trashed out is worth at least a couple bucks a pound in parts alone. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Give me a price on any roller nose bars in there (all of them).
If you can forgive me for busting your balls in the past
.:cheers: Malls and remingtons are what i'm looking for especially, but I'll take any roller as long as it spins. PM me a price including shipping if you want.
already did long time ago at that do me a favor if you have a picture of a mall can you post it for comparison ?

Calvin if you are interested in making some money off this project, instead of worrying about XL 12 bar covers, you should be interested in the more modern saws. You will get more cash for modern parts than the old parts, unless it is something rare. The old saws are neat and there are several collector out there, but most collectors have 100's of old parts saws laying around. List an XL 12 bar cover and a MS660 bar cover on Ebay and see which brings the most. Just my 2 cents

is the ms 660 popular ?

Last edited:
Almost as popular as the MS361!!!! Yep the 066 and MS660's are very popular. Most any Stihl saw is popular:cheers:

Last edited:
Mac 380 Homelite Super XL 925

I'm restoring my grandads Mac 380 and could use a good parts saw for the rebuild. I had a need for a Homelite Super XL 925 as well. I discovered my Homie needs a cylinder in addition to a piston and rings. The insulation is off all the wires as well. I will probably need all new firing components. I don't think I can just replace the wires. Unless I find a good deal the Homie will be a parts saw. I'll pay per pound as well. Just let me know!

Get the Stuff !

Hello.
From your original posting, it seems as though you have "Buck Fever", bad.
Understandable....

I would not concern myself with selling/preselling what I don't have.
At .50 per lb., and a rough avg. of 20lbs per older saw.. that's about $10.00 ea--some are lighter...the newer stuff will be.

If this is a salvage yard, the owner is primarily concerned with moving METAL.
Doesn't care about saws like us.
So, a truck could come any day and carry them all away! Or, they get dumped in a grinder or crusher. That's what it's like @ my local salvage yard.
[this is based on the "per lb." pricing]

If you try to take orders long enough, it could be gone!

General advise >> buy all the STIHL's Husky's Dolmars, etc. now. Old big huge MAC's are not generally valuable. [sometimes @ $20.00 don't even get a bid on Ebay]
Buy all the good Homelites you want....

But I would get the stuff soon.
If you have CASH available at all -- use it. This should be a very good investment. AS members will surely want some of it. Your investment will come back. And all the items you want, if handled correctly, you'll have
zero in.

To put it another way, how many STIHLS [complete, not crushed] would you buy for $10.00 each ??
Answer = all they have!

When you go back to the business--take green CASH.
Forget the .50 per lb.

Ask the OWNER how much he would take now -- CASH, for that old pile of saws in his way ?? NO lbs -- CASH vs. PILE ! --- show me da money!
It could easily be that the net cents per lb will DROP !

Bottom line, buy all the good stuff NOW. If he will make a package deal, take it all.
Easy to sort thru it at home/shop.
Focus on obtaining for the best deal.
Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back