Hit a Gold mine in saws today !! woah is all i have to say

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill :

Do you have a computer that is solely devoted to Ebay that runs 24/7?

The $24.99 I mentioned is a common starting listing price on Ebay. It's at the max for a certain "fee" break.
As stated, I mentioned them selling[closing price] @ $35.-40.
These are very average, well used saws -- as virtually all are.
Usually over half of the Paint gone.

For instance, there is a decent looking MAC 250 NOW with less than [3] hours to go, [1] bid for $25.00 ! This is a complete, not destroyed saw.
Looks OK. $25.00.

I'll certainly let you know when I see one. How much do you normally pay for
these avg. condition [fairly substantial paint-loss/non-runners/complete]
73A's ? $200 like the one in Australia ? the Aus saw was no primo saw to me.

Last year I bought a very nice, well above average Super 44 for $60.-total.
Not much paint loss at all--homeowner use.
Probably could have got it for less....

Another AS thread had commentary on ebay sales last weekend. There were
[2] very rare [and superb] condition HomeLites. both went over $300.00.
This is NOT the class of saw we are describing here.

Thanks.

Send me all the non 35 gear drive listings you find. You made mention of the 250. Why ? Your post was about gear drives.

Bill

Hello.
alpinecrick-

Do you know what a 101B is ??

Yes.

Additionally, Calvin's original post had nothing to do with Kart engines!
The subject was [salvage?] chainsaws.

Correct--which is why I was also responding to Jacob's comment about the SP125...............

The point is it just has nothing to with this thread.
It ain't a Chainsaw..........

Thanks.

Well....some of the Mac's DID have versions of the 101B motor........

Casey

Yes.

Correct--which is why I was also responding to Jacob's comment about the SP125...............

Well....some of the Mac's DID have versions of the 101B motor........

Casey

casey speaking of macs are them parts you ordered in your care ? how are they ?

thanks
calvin

casey can you believe a certain person on ebay is selling this part for 24.99 each compare the same part to my 17.00 each here is my link to them 10-10 air filters

http://www.cmsmallengines.net/mcculloch-c3.html

that air filter is on page 1 about the 4 th part down and you go to ebay and type that part # in you will see what i am talking about 24.99 for one air filter i think 17.00 is more consumer friendly price i know im pleased with pricing it at that price and is that air filter truly rare since i have 6 of them on hand ?

Last edited:
Values ?

nor is it about the value of old big mac saws but you keep arguing the point, a saw is as valuable as a person is willing to pay and how can you put a value on that, you can't........I just paid $55 for a old mac 310 that doesn't run, why cause I need a few small parts that are NLA.........

Alas, it's not me that keeps arguing the point of Old Mac's. It's all of the
members responding to my original post. Read them. I just respond.

My posts to Calvin@CM Engines strickly concerned a business deal.
This ABSOLUTELY should be a BUSINESS deal for him. Not emotional, not just what saws you like to mess with...

He repeatedly said in so many words, "the funds are the problem".

So, if anyone goes to a business that has more chainsaws than they can afford to buy [@ .40 lb now!] , what do you do ???

Several members counseled along the same lines as I did. Business. [Fish]
Love them or hate them, STIHL is the #1 selling saw in the world. They have the best marketing and dealer network. John Q. public thinks STIHL's are great. Without question, it's the "brand" of saw I put on the trailer 1st, if I'm Calvin.
Ebay sales also say so.

Husky's, Dolmars[strong on ebay], JReds , etc.
It's what I load up until my funds are really dwindling. Understand?
Every Licensed Dealer does!

One has to really know models and values specifically & well to invest in the older stuff. They can look similar--one worth $700. the other worth $40.
This simply requires more particular knowledge--something Calvin posted us seeking!

Lastly,
Yes, I can put a value on a saw! Every knowledgable dealer HAS to be able to do so. Or, he'll be working at Wal-Mart soon enough....
All of the auto dealers can! Small engine dealers certainly can too.
There are always buyers who for lack of knowledge, or from emotional bidding,
pay too much. But that peak pricing/sale amount is NOT sustainable.
Example -- garden variety Mac 10-10's [very avg. cond.] are selling for less than $100. on Ebay -- many times substantially less. [this is NOT a pristine
PM10-10S, that's a $500.+ saw]. If a particular buyer pays $180-200. [it has
happened] for this painfully average saw, does that now mean 10-10's are worth that. No, he simply overpaid. The normal market moves forward.

Best of luck with your 310.

Values ?

nor is it about the value of old big mac saws but you keep arguing the point, a saw is as valuable as a person is willing to pay and how can you put a value on that, you can't........I just paid $55 for a old mac 310 that doesn't run, why cause I need a few small parts that are NLA.........

Alas, it's not me that keeps arguing the point of Old Mac's. It's all of the
members responding to my original post. Read them. I just respond.

My posts to Calvin@CM Engines strickly concerned a business deal.
This ABSOLUTELY should be a BUSINESS deal for him. Not emotional, not just what saws you like to mess with...

He repeatedly said in so many words, "the funds are the problem".

So, if anyone goes to a business that has more chainsaws than they can afford to buy [@ .40 lb now!] , what do you do ???

Several members counseled along the same lines as I did. Business. [Fish]
Love them or hate them, STIHL is the #1 selling saw in the world. They have the best marketing and dealer network. John Q. public thinks STIHL's are great. Without question, it's the "brand" of saw I put on the trailer 1st, if I'm Calvin.
Ebay sales also say so.

Husky's, Dolmars[strong on ebay], JReds , etc.
It's what I load up until my funds are really dwindling. Understand?
Every Licensed Dealer does!

One has to really know models and values specifically & well to invest in the older stuff. They can look similar--one worth $700. the other worth $40.
This simply requires more particular knowledge--something Calvin posted us seeking!

Lastly,
Yes, I can put a value on a saw! Every knowledgable dealer HAS to be able to do so. Or, he'll be working at Wal-Mart soon enough....
All of the auto dealers can! Small engine dealers certainly can too.
There are always buyers who for lack of knowledge, or from emotional bidding,
pay too much. But that peak pricing/sale amount is NOT sustainable.
Example -- garden variety Mac 10-10's [very avg. cond.] are selling for less than $100. on Ebay -- many times substantially less. [this is NOT a pristine
PM10-10S, that's a $500.+ saw]. If a particular buyer pays $180-200. [it has
happened] for this painfully average saw, does that now mean 10-10's are worth that. No, he simply overpaid. The normal market moves forward.

Best of luck with your 310.

Mac's ....

Yes it was a chainsaw, it was a Mac 125 with a 101b kart engine in it. Apparently you don't know your Mac history too well. McCulloch made a small run of 'kartsaws' i.e. chainsaws with the kart blocks in them. Yes, they had oil tanks, bar studs, dawgs, rear handle, fuel tank, etc.

Bob McCulloch authorized a small run of 101b motors placed in the Super Pro 125 chassis at the factory after doing a bunch of R&D in the field with timber fallers. My dad happened to be one of those men and he got three of the kartsaws, of which I still have one.

Common sense would dictate that no, there's not a kartsaw sitting in some salvage yard in New Hampshire or where ever, but my point was that it's possible for Calvin to stumble across a 125, 797, 740, 12-25, etc. in one of those piles.

Hey Jacob --
I am to some degree a mathematician at heart--numbers count to me.
You refered to this item as a "101B" , not a MAC 125 w/ a 101B engine.
You now state it that way.

I am aware B.Mac approved & made a ltd. run of such saws. Big power and rarity will always bring big bucks--in Corvette's or Ferrari's or Chainsaws.

Does your kartsaw say 125/SP125 or 101B on the air-filter cover?
My point.

I always approached this as a business deal for Calvin. Hope he handles it that way.
Agreed, all brands have high value saws. Problem is, there are always more Chevy's than Mercedes.

It IS possible for him to stumble across a high value Mac. It simply requires more indepth knowledge--something he posted, seeking from us.
Salvage yard says no calls?/lists/PIX, etc. Tough.

Easy to load up Stihl's. Far tougher for him to know if a Mac 35A or 250 or 797 is worth more. Plus at this arrangement [per lb.], they cost more.

Remember, I have [8] Old Mac's. Love them. One of the finest saws ever made & sold.
I focused strickly on business for Calvin.
Thanks.

Hey Jacob --
I am to some degree a mathematician at heart--numbers count to me.
You refered to this item as a "101B" , not a MAC 125 w/ a 101B engine.
You now state it that way.

I am aware B.Mac approved & made a ltd. run of such saws. Big power and rarity will always bring big bucks--in Corvette's or Ferrari's or Chainsaws.

Does your kartsaw say 125/SP125 or 101B on the air-filter cover?
My point.

I always approached this as a business deal for Calvin. Hope he handles it that way.
Agreed, all brands have high value saws. Problem is, there are always more Chevy's than Mercedes.

It IS possible for him to stumble across a high value Mac. It simply requires more indepth knowledge--something he posted, seeking from us.
Salvage yard says no calls?/lists/PIX, etc. Tough.

Easy to load up Stihl's. Far tougher for him to know if a Mac 35A or 250 or 797 is worth more. Plus at this arrangement [per lb.], they cost more.

Remember, I have [8] Old Mac's. Love them. One of the finest saws ever made & sold.
I focused strickly on business for Calvin.
Thanks.

I stated it as "The last 101B Kartsaw" which is how they were marketed in the saw shops. I remember in 1977, the tattered poster in the local Mac dealership where my dad bought all his units (which would later become the Stihl dealership I worked at for six years)...

"Get yours now! The NEW McCulloch Kartsaw" then the poster went to explain the details of the item.

Listings !

Send me all the non 35 gear drive listings you find. You made mention of the 250. Why ? Your post was about gear drives.

Bill

Hey Bill--
Regular PenPals here...

Will forward listings I see. They are there.
I mentioned the 250 because several members have indicated "they'll take all the Old Mac's" . Great deal on this 250 w/3hrs to go.....! where was the action? [1] bid...

I do still stand by the opinion of 73A's being weaker on value. [average condition saws!] And, 3-25/4-30's, etc.
I looked at the AU listing again. Saw was not as good as I remembered.
Definitely have seen a number just like this one struggle to reach $50.
on Ebay. Will forward the next one I see.

No selling on any forums except our Trading Post fourm.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Bill--
What is a very nice Super 44 worth to you? HomeOwner saw. No commercial use. Totally complete. STRONG compression. ?? Interested?
Also a 790 ?

Regards.

Post them in the trading post and see.

Bill

Latest posts

Back