Hmmmm...How do I tighten the chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter nap

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble getting to the chain adjusting screw on the 9010 when it's in the mill. I think I can use a long screw driver if I remove the spike bars.

The screw is in the standard location.

How is everybody doing it?

I am having trouble getting to the chain adjusting screw on the 9010 when it's in the mill. I think I can use a long screw driver if I remove the spike bars.

The screw is in the standard location.

How is everybody doing it?

Id go ahead and remove the dogs Peter if it will let you into the adjuster screw, they're of no use to you when the saw is mounted to the mill anyway. I have a helper handle on my 44" bar and the chain will adjust from it if needed. I think that I recall reading somewhere about someone drilling a hole in the mill to allow access to the adjuster screw.

Id go ahead and remove the dogs Peter if it will let you into the adjuster screw, they're of no use to you when the saw is mounted to the mill anyway. I have a helper handle on my 44" bar and the chain will adjust from it if needed. I think that I recall reading somewhere about someone drilling a hole in the mill to allow access to the adjuster screw.

I agree, I always remove the dogs on my 395, gives me an extra couple inches of milling. As far as adjusting the tension, on the 395 you have to take the saw out of the mill, or at least loosen the nuts and back it out a foot or so.

I drilled a hole for the screwdriver to fit through and get to the adjuster on my Alaskan mill and also on the mill I built.
I might just do this myself. I get lazy and often keep milling with a chain that does need tightening because I don't want to stop and pull the bar away from the mill.

On my 051 I can loosen the bar nuts and push up on the handle of the power head to take the slack out of the chain while it is mounted in the mill. This works on my 038 as well. the trick is that you have to keep the tension on the handle while you tighten the bar nuts. this trick has its limits on how much slack it will take out and it works best on the slack due to the chain warming up vs the slack of a new chain stretching.

I use a long thin screwdriver on my 394 husky to get to the adjuster.Works for me .It is a bit harder to adjust compared to my 066.I get too much chatter when the chain gets loose.I took the dogs off all my milling saws.Sometimes that 1 or 2 inches comes in handy.

Back