Holz Hausen stacking method

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this for real guys, or just some cliche gimmick?

Better than small splits stacked compact but not too tight off the ground, covered on top in direct sun?

For the life of me I can't imagine a stacked pile of firewood shrinking in height 20%.

http://www.thechimneysweep.ca/6seasoningwood.html

i stack in a small building. i stack up to 6 feet in the spring, 5-6 inches below the rafters. by fall the stack drops 3-4 inches additional.

though my wood was stacked outside for the season prior, their '20%' seems a bit much.

Looks like a great "mouse house" !!! wonder if it works, never seen one before...I got a pile I just might try it out on for kicks. I imagine the kids would get a kick out of daddy's wood teepee.
A

try it for kicks... yep I think I might too. For next year's wood that is. be neat to try, but looks like a pain to stack all that.

Lets see some pics of everyone's progress :cheers:

Look at these pic's:
http://www.holzmiete.de/holzmiete_vogelhaus/

Note the Fiskars axes, the chainsaw, beer, and need I add "THE MULLET"
See the pond isn't that large at all:cheers:

I just had to call my urologist, I had an erection that lasted more than four hours looking at these pictures of wood stack unconventionaly. Have eight cord stacked and it's all getting re-stacked.

I just have to tell the wife, "I'm rotating the wood"
I'll send her out in a tee-shirt sometime in January to check the Holz Hausen pole, and I'll see if the turkey is done when she gets back in!

I just have to tell the wife, "I'm rotating the wood"
I'll send her out in a tee-shirt sometime in January to check the Holz Hausen pole, and I'll see if the turkey is done when she gets back in!

This is what the Germans had in mind all along. Who cares how the wood is stacked? There are more important stacks involved. Send Heidi to investigate, and then investigate Heidi upon her return.
2thumbs.gif

Yes StihlyinEly, but the stack has to lure her out there, she's the artsy type (by profession)

The better the Holz Hausen, the more trips outside, the more turkey that gets done.

Perhaps the real alterior motive is all the beer I will have to drink to accomplish this task before me.

OH alright...

I have been thinking about a Holz Hausen just for the ####s of it and cleared a spot for the Oak and cherry I took down before torching my 372.

Pics and measurements in photo's?
Our own Sparky version of mythbusters?
Bonus points for moisture readings?

Who's in?

As soon as I get my 372 back running I'll start in on it.

Who's got tips and tricks from stacking one?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I thought this thread was about turkeys being done and mullets in Europe!

My wood was exactly were is should be, so I look at the photos some are a definite farce. It seems as though some wood bugger (no not that guy!)
Stack some fresh splits and did not have enough to finish the project, so why not complete with some really seasoned firewood on top.
Hence the photos of the seasoned wood uptop. NOTE: I'm commenting on what appears as photos that appear in the states.
Those wood choppers across the pond have a concept though, why stack it all fugly, (properly in our terms). Make something out of it.
Now I'm going OT, does this method season wood as quick as it describes:dizzy:

When's the turkey done?

I thought this thread was about turkeys being done and mullets in Europe!

My wood was exactly were is should be, so I look at the photos some are a definite farce. It seems as though some wood bugger (no not that guy!)
Stack some fresh splits and did not have enough to finish the project, so why not complete with some really seasoned firewood on top.
Hence the photos of the seasoned wood uptop. NOTE: I'm commenting on what appears as photos that appear in the states.
Those wood choppers across the pond have a concept though, why stack it all fugly, (properly in our terms). Make something out of it.
Now I'm going OT, does this method season wood as quick as it describes:dizzy:

When's the turkey done?

The debate is open about drying times. I do know piles dry as fast or faster than stacking, but am curious about any gains with the holz hausens.

They seem to be more airtight than just a pile.

As far as Mullets and turkeys bieng done, that ain't happening.
I ain't got any hair, and the gals around here wear long skivvies after november.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Nicely done = 16 wooden pallets
4x4 pallets sorted 4x4:)
Don't forget to drive you're pole and mark the top 80% of the total stack height.
Throw your punky pieces in the middle and gain structure from the outside, not the inner ring.

This is from the reading I've done so far, the European pictures are amazing, any translators here on ABS?

long skivvies

Just my type, stationed in the far upper mid-west for a while. I would crawl into the freezer just to warm up. The t-shirt / January recipie works regardless of location or ethnicity (Chippewa), ask me how I know!

Looks like a great "mouse house" !!! wonder if it works, never seen one before...I got a pile I just might try it out on for kicks. I imagine the kids would get a kick out of daddy's wood teepee.
A

It is mouse fortress!

I made a couple a few years back as my wood collecting had exceeded my wood collecting area.........i.e. the wife saying I better clean some of that crap up! So I made these two real cool looking towers with the greenest wood. They look great and held up pretty good.........until you start removing wood to burn. The wood on the inner bottom area was wet and needed to be restacked and of course lots of mice but they are in every wood pile. Would I do it again? Probably not, it was fun to do but not really practical all things considered.

Very cool !

I have seen these before and think I will one a try for next year.

All this poking fun at the folks across the pond. Forget the mullet and the beer, those crazy Germans are flying the Canadian flag!!

:hmm3grin2orange:

Funny that you mentioned that huskymac, I was zooming in on the picture to see what beer Bill & Ted were drinking - noticed the red maple leaf on the flag, disregarded the flag for an illusion of sorts being the site is in / I think German.
Seems our friends have a solar powered fan of sorts as well on the cover of the stack.

"HOLZ HAUSEN" = Deutch for " let's fool those stupid Americans ...again." :cheers:

P.S. Wonderful therapy for those with not much to do.:agree2:

Latest posts

Back