Home made calks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG JAKE

Let’s go Brandon!
Reaction score
I have quite a few pairs of steel toe boots around(work buys me a new pair every year). I cut on log stacks often enough that I've seen a need for spikes. Has anyone ever screwed calk spikes into a regular pair of boot soles? If so how do they hold up? Even half or a third the number of spikes would help.

Last edited:
It can be done, but if your time means anything you're better off buying some.
You can't just screw the calks into the sole of your boot, you have to have T-nuts to hold them. Calks are metric size, and most common T-nuts are SAE.
I put new soles on a pair once PITA.

Andy

I dont need them that often so a nice pair of wingtipped golf shoes from the thrift store seem to do the trick. :laugh:

This is what I have done from time to time. First you have to let the idea of dry feet go by the way side cause your boots will leak.

Take out the felt or wool sole liner in the boot. Find some dry wall screws that are about 3/8" thicker than the sole of you boot. Screw them through the sole from the inside. Wha La you have a pair of caulks.

First screw them in from the outside through a lug in the sole for better support mark to hole on the inside then run the screw down from the inside using the first hole like a marker and poilet hole type deal. Then get some shoe goo or rtv type stuff and smear it on the inside and smooth it then goober it around the screws on the outside. This will help keep water out and help strengthen the screw in place. If less than 3/8" will work for you go as short as possible it will put less strain on the screw and they won't pull or bend as bad and will last longer.

This takes time but it does work. Done it quite afew times when the kids or wife needed something I though was more important than new boots which is just about anything for them.

Oh ya if anyone does see ya wearing these homemade hobb nails their gonna laugh at ya. Just look at them and say mine only cost me $2 how much did yours cost. They find out your only cost the amount of the screws and they will be asking how you did it and if you will show them how.

Hope this will help ya

Owl

This is what I have done from time to time. First you have to let the idea of dry feet go by the way side cause your boots will leak.

Take out the felt or wool sole liner in the boot. Find some dry wall screws that are about 3/8" thicker than the sole of you boot. Screw them through the sole from the inside. Wha La you have a pair of caulks.

First screw them in from the outside through a lug in the sole for better support mark to hole on the inside then run the screw down from the inside using the first hole like a marker and poilet hole type deal. Then get some shoe goo or rtv type stuff and smear it on the inside and smooth it then goober it around the screws on the outside. This will help keep water out and help strengthen the screw in place. If less than 3/8" will work for you go as short as possible it will put less strain on the screw and they won't pull or bend as bad and will last longer.

This takes time but it does work. Done it quite afew times when the kids or wife needed something I though was more important than new boots which is just about anything for them.

Oh ya if anyone does see ya wearing these homemade hobb nails their gonna laugh at ya. Just look at them and say mine only cost me $2 how much did yours cost. They find out your only cost the amount of the screws and they will be asking how you did it and if you will show them how.

Hope this will help ya

Owl

:ices_rofl: I remember a couple of guys that did that. Got them through 'til they could get into town and visit the boot store...and they were as catty as anybody else. They did double up on their sox, though.

Sounds goofy but it does work.

The shoo goo will help keep the screw heads from digging into your feet. Put the felt or wool insole back in and you should be good to go. If you don't like wet feet put on your socks then put a bread bag on your foot. Your feet may be kinda sweaty but they will be dry other than the sweat.

Owl

I remember 4-5 years ago somebody called me to remove a small tree that had fallen on their roof and also to take down a big maple next to the house. There was several inches of snow on the ground with a real crusty layer on top, and then we got some freezing rain on top of that. I've never seen anything like it...it was impossible to walk around...just like walking on glare ice. I took a pair of my old steel-toed redwings, and screwed a bunch of real short sheet metal screws through all the lugs. Short enough so they didn't come through the sole. Actually worked pretty good, enough so I could walk around safely.

sheet metal screws

Yeah I was thinking that would work I know guys that ride dirt bikes that take hundreds of sheet metal screws to there tires every winter .They say it works pretty good for that so probably would be good for boots .I dont think it would give you the traction a pair of bought calks would but it would be better than with out them ,also would be a lot cheaper.

Thanks guys. Might make some good use out of the old Red Wings yet. I may try turning a few screws in. Lug soles should take a reasonable length screw.

Back