Home made friction saver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm ultimately going to just buy the friction saver too, but if it wasnt a safe alternative to make one, why do they sell the rings?? And maybe not making it to Afghanistan is the better option, LOL Afterall, I am in the Infantry.

I've strung the rings on about 5' of 1" tubular webbing and then tied into a loop with a beer knot. Then spread the rings apart to separate ends and tie figure eights to isolate each ring at an end. Ends up being close to 3' long after tying all of the knots. That makes a tough as hell friction saver but you have to have a special touch not to get it stuck in some of the tighter crotches you come across.

Josh Frazier USMC

I purchased a couple steel rings for making a friction saver. ( from Sherril Tree ) I plan to use either 1" nylon webbing, or rope, but would like suggestions as to what would be best/ better tahn the above. Also best knot to use for both above. I have never used a friction saver, so this is the start of my trial. Thanks!

I'm ultimately going to just buy the friction saver too, but if it wasnt a safe alternative to make one, why do they sell the rings?? And maybe not making it to Afghanistan is the better option, LOL Afterall, I am in the Infantry.

If you REALLY want to make a Friction Saver, here's a post that should be of interest:

I'm going to get another ring and some tenex which I spliced before and use it for an adjusting prusik. Or maybe spend the $42 for the pre-spliced prusik and ring.

PICT0001-1.jpg

Heres my homemade version of sherills friction saver, costs about half the price to make

attachment.php

attachment.php

it's weeved twice on each side for a total of four weeves then both ends are buried and meet in the middle. Each side is buried about 12"

attachment.php

Last edited:
Heres my homemade version of sherills friction saver, costs about half the price to make ...

Very, very nice work NCTREE!!! ... Have some rep.
IMO, that's what the OP wanted to see.

Now, tell me about that red 'wrap' ... what is that? ... hard to make out in the pic.

Last edited:
Very, very nice work NCTREE!!! ... Have some rep.
IMO, that's what the OP wanted to see.

Now, tell me about that red 'wrap' ... what is that? ... hard to make out in the pic.

it's just vinyl stretch tape, i think i went overboard but i thought it keep everything neat and nice.

My god, now we're going to introduce splicing into the equation?

Taking a look at my gear bag today, thinking about this topic, I have alot of expensive equipment, only half of it is used for life support. A friction saver is directly related to your life support system. Stay out of the bar two consecutive weeks and you can buy one.

If you really wanna save money, all you really need to buy is a rope and handsaw. You can climb on a bowline on a bight and blakes hitch.

Last edited:
If you REALLY want to make a Friction Saver, here's a post that should be of interest:

Thanks for referencing me Jack. Here's the friction saver with the prusik. (Which I sprung so the doe for from Sherrill). And a lanyard. I make whatever I can to be more in touch with the fate I tempt by climbing. I am confident that my splicing will hold.

attachment.php

My god, now we're going to introduce splicing into the equation?

Taking a look at my gear bag today, thinking about this topic, I have alot of expensive equipment, only half of it is used for life support. A friction saver is directly related to your life support system. Stay out of the bar two consecutive weeks and you can buy one.

If you really wanna save money, all you really need to buy is a rope and handsaw. You can climb on a bowline on a bight and blakes hitch.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously though...some of you guys obsess over the strangest things. I've been around treework for about 22 years, and not once have I ever seen anyone actually use a friction saver. Not once. Might I add that my experiences include working for some very successful and up to date tree services. Just a thought to consider while yer splicing those babys up.

Seriously though...some of you guys obsess over the strangest things. I've been around treework for about 22 years, and not once have I ever seen anyone actually use a friction saver. Not once. Might I add that my experiences include working for some very successful and up to date tree services. Just a thought to consider while yer splicing those babys up.

Really? I use my friction saver fairly regularly and you KNOW I'm not mister "don't want to put a rope burn on that tree", MDS. lol I like it for big removals when I'm using the same TIP for an extended period of time, makes everything much smoother. I use them almost all the time when doing sappy pines to avoid gunking up my line cause I can't stand it when my friction hitch jams up. I throw it over a crotch and snap a 'biner through the rings for a quick redirect if I don't have a webbing sling with me. I always use one to tie above the ball on a crane which saves me from having to tie into the tree once set in place, just choke off the piece and rappel down to cut ( very quick ). I can put it around the main trunk and have it held up by the tiniest limb that I wouldn't trust if my life line were constantly rubbing on it. But what I like the MOST about a friction saver is if you get one long enough ( I need a little longer one, BTW ) is that it will wrap around the tree with you keeping the same amount of friction on your climb line throughout your work. Instead of your climb line laying against the trunk while you're limb-walking on the far side of the tree the FS just follows you around to that side of the trunk essentially moving your TIP.

Really? I use my friction saver fairly regularly and you KNOW I'm not mister "don't want to put a rope burn on that tree", MDS. lol I like it for big removals when I'm using the same TIP for an extended period of time, makes everything much smoother. I use them almost all the time when doing sappy pines to avoid gunking up my line cause I can't stand it when my friction hitch jams up. I throw it over a crotch and snap a 'biner through the rings for a quick redirect if I don't have a webbing sling with me. I always use one to tie above the ball on a crane which saves me from having to tie into the tree once set in place, just choke off the piece and rappel down to cut ( very quick ). I can put it around the main trunk and have it held up by the tiniest limb that I wouldn't trust if my life line were constantly rubbing on it. But what I like the MOST about a friction saver is if you get one long enough ( I need a little longer one, BTW ) is that it will wrap around the tree with you keeping the same amount of friction on your climb line throughout your work. Instead of your climb line laying against the trunk while you're limb-walking on the far side of the tree the FS just follows you around to that side of the trunk essentially moving your TIP.

Good post, and some good points blakes. I actually BOUGHT one recently myself, for pretty much the same reasons you pointed out, I just haven't bothered/gotten a good chance to play with it yet. I just get a little annoyed sometimes with all this stuff...I mean where does it end? oh, that's right, it doesn't. lol

Don't even get me going on the way some of these internet wannabee catalog climbers disrespect the taughtline these days. :)

Don't even get me going on the way some of these internet wannabee catalog climbers disrespect the taughtline these days. :)

Oh come on, MDS, GET GOING! I was taught a version of the taughtline when I first started climbing but never used it much before I found the blakes...then it just steam rolled. You're right about some of these guys focusing on the weirdest stuff, I sometimes wonder if the majority of people on this site actually work. That being said, it is you and I that are here, on a weekday, shortly after noon, #####ing about the catalog climbers that don't do anything, lol.

thats the most ridiculous thing i think i ever heard you say. Obsess? really your gonna say that, sounds like your just trying to start trouble. If you never used a friction saver in your 22 yrs then wake up! I bet the shoulders feel pretty good don't they. And your claim that we are wannabes for taking a liking to making are own gear is just plain stupid. We are the ones who are smart for being resourceful instead of letting some company rip us off.

I splice yes for a hobby on the side I don't see one thing wrong with it. I use my gear to make the job easier and to put less wear and tear on me. I find it much easier to use my friction saver when working on a spar. It's much easier to set my block and tackle plus make my notch hanging from a rope then it is on spikes. I don't know about you but I hate spikes so anything I can do to get off them is a relief.

I forgot about some of you old timers, it's just plain cool to be old school. Well good for you, i'll stick to my "bells and whistles" as the old timers would call it. Don't get me wrong some of you old timers are cool as #### it's just a few that get on my nerves.:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh come on, MDS, GET GOING! I was taught a version of the taughtline when I first started climbing but never used it much before I found the blakes...then it just steam rolled. You're right about some of these guys focusing on the weirdest stuff, I sometimes wonder if the majority of people on this site actually work. That being said, it is you and I that are here, on a weekday, shortly after noon, #####ing about the catalog climbers that don't do anything, lol.

That leads me to a whole different topic blakes. I find the hardest part of being self employed is not being able to just simply climb and cut - everyday! But when you are on your own (in my book) you are on your own...at least for the most part that is. I dont feel its right to whore around if your trying to be your own man. That is just me, and I am just talking here, so dont think this is directed at you or anyone else.

thats the most ridiculous thing i think i ever heard you say. Obsess? really your gonna say that, sounds like your just trying to start trouble. If you never used a friction saver in your 22 yrs then wake up! I bet the shoulders feel pretty good don't they. And your claim that we are wannabes for taking a liking to making are own gear is just plain stupid. We are the ones who are smart for being resourceful instead of letting some company rip us off.

I splice yes for a hobby on the side I don't see one thing wrong with it. I use my gear to make the job easier and to put less wear and tear on me. I find it much easier to use my friction saver when working on a spar. It's much easier to set my block and tackle plus make my notch hanging from a rope then it is on spikes. I don't know about you but I hate spikes so anything I can do to get off them is a relief.

I forgot about some of you old timers, it's just plain cool to be old school. Well good for you, i'll stick to my "bells and whistles" as the old timers would call it. Don't get me wrong some of you old timers are cool as #### it's just a few that get on my nerves.:hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, i was just trying (mostly) to liven things up around here a bit, maybe inject a shot of realism. But i do like my spikes and my shoulders feel just fine...in fact they are probably the strongest part of me. Friction saver. :hmm3grin2orange: BTW: I'm only 36, for another month or so anyways. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back