Home made friction saver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my friction saver. They probably should have named it "energy saver". I had the same opinion about it as most of the "old schoolers" when I first saw them but once I used one my opinion totally changed. I rareley enter a tree without one nowadays. Try ascending 40-50ft in a natural crotch with a pantene foot ascender, then try it using a friction saver. You'll change your mind, I can promise you that. I thought the same about the split-tail climbing system too. I was not letting go of my "good ol blakes hitch". But once I switched over i'll never go back. So to all the closed minders out there, just try it out before you bash it.

Didn't know this was going to turn into such a long topic. Heres what I was looking at, something like this. Again, probably just going to buy one when I have the money, but I already have the rings.
attachment.php

That could work as a FS - might be a little tough getting DFL's through a tight crotch. But if you're going to make that, you might consider seizing the loose ends for added safety:

4200212866_6176022e4a.jpg

Last edited:
climb and work SRT and you dont need friction savers at all!

working double line without a friction saver is a huge waste of energy and rope. Splicing a tenex friction saver is very easy, almost as easy as tieing a knot and very cheap. Using knots is fine but a little harder to pull out of tight crotches.
but like I said before, climbing SRT is the simplest of all options as rope friction is not an issue.

That leads me to a whole different topic blakes. I find the hardest part of being self employed is not being able to just simply climb and cut - everyday! But when you are on your own (in my book) you are on your own...at least for the most part that is. I dont feel its right to whore around if your trying to be your own man. That is just me, and I am just talking here, so dont think this is directed at you or anyone else.

Trying to stir things up indeed, MDS. I'll admit, I'm a whore, but it's a means to an end at this point. I don't think I'll ever stop trying to contract climb out of town but this helpin' the locals out BS has to stop soon. You're right, there's a HUGE conflict of interest if your working for your competition. It's not a pride thing for me though, it just doesn't make good business sense to make a career out of doing things for the competition that they can't do themselves.

Trying to stir things up indeed, MDS. I'll admit, I'm a whore, but it's a means to an end at this point. I don't think I'll ever stop trying to contract climb out of town but this helpin' the locals out BS has to stop soon. You're right, there's a HUGE conflict of interest if your working for your competition. It's not a pride thing for me though, it just doesn't make good business sense to make a career out of doing things for the competition that they can't do themselves.

Glad to hear your seeing the light buddy! :)

Honestly though, I was just venting about something that happened to me earlier this year...I guess your situation sort of struck a cord with me is all. But yeah, the way I see it if your gonna start your own business in my area, its sort of like throwing yourself into the war, so be on your own or flake off is my feeling. None of this leaching about helping all these other fat sacks that cant cut their own trees- and stealing whatever knowledge they have while at it. you waged war, now fend for yourself....theres no going back and you cant have no life preserver either. Tough crowd.

Agreed on using SRT. I just started using it, and once you get the motions down, its fantastic, and very fast. Once you get to your crotch, set your friction saver, and off you go.

Agreed on using SRT. I just started using it, and once you get the motions down, its fantastic, and very fast. Once you get to your crotch, set your friction saver, and off you go.

Kevin's talking about his F8 revolver setup which allows him to work SRT the whole time. I'm gonna try it out one of these days.

Latest posts

Back