Homelite? GOOD or BAD.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubberducky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I was looking in my granpa's shed when I saw an old homelite chainsaw that looked like it had been sitting there for twenty years. (which it probably was.) So I took it out to the shop and started cleaning it up to see what it was, so I could do some research on it. To see what model number it was so I could buy parts for. Becuase I'm sure it's missing a few. Do any of you have a homelite chainsaw? I've never had any luck with them. But then I hear people say their the best chainsaw ever. I prefere sthil or husky. And do any of you know where to buy parts for them? Does baily's carry homelite? I'd appreciate your opinion.

Older Homelites(like yours) are very well regarded. The newer ones make dandy door stops or wheel chocks.

This brand is one of the most popular, still produced today, and is now a part of Elux.
I would guess this is a collectors item, and is not to consider a dependant thing.
However it is very likely that after a good cleanup it runs.
I have 20 or so in the collection, and I am a small duck in the pond.

There is a good chance to get parts, perhaps not new, but then how much are you willing to spend on a 20+ something saw.... I would think this could be a good saw to tinker with if there is interest.

This is about what can be said without knowing what model it is.

On most Homedelights there is a plate some where that say model serial etc.

Pick or good description is what it will take to get a ID on the saw.
I recommend you look for the plate, if not finding one, post a pic of the saw.

MM.

Those oldies were real GOODIES.

Not like the junk they been building the last 7-8 years.

Probably well worth investing time and then some $$ in it if piston, cylinder and tanks are good.

Last edited:
I pretty sure the piston, cylinder, and tanks are good lobo. My dad said it ran when they put it away after they bought an 056 sthil.

056 kid said:
got dam mcculloch is the best there ever was

056 Kid with all due respect I think you best lay-off the wacky tobacky, we are talking Home-a-night and your talking Muck-a-lot.

IMO, the older homie saws are some of the most rugged SOBs ever made. they weigh a ton, but they are built like mack trucks, rock solid.

i have three homelites and yes they are little tricky but like everyone is saying they are bulit to last the parts can be found on ebay or some local repair shops

hey kid, you know the only way your gonna get that 056 is if you steal it. And i'll be waitin in me rockin chair with me shotgun.

Back