Homelite XP. Finally Got One

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mikes site is inaccurate there

If push came to shove I could tell you exactly what it is but that paper search here is pretty time consuming....

I'll let others chime in and again I have all the parts most NOS except the recoil I have the shroud new but the recoil would be used.

I'll let the sponsors have a go.

If push came to shove I could tell you exactly what it is but that paper search here is pretty time consuming....

I'll let others chime in and again I have all the parts most NOS except the recoil I have the shroud new but the recoil would be used.

I'll let the sponsors have a go.

pes at least we know you have the parts finding xp parts can be mighty hard in doing

im not sure if i even have the stuff

hopefully some other folks can help identify it we do know its a xp but the question is which one

they all seem to take the same parts anyhow

i have a new 69180A which i think may be the recoil now its possible that the parts may have to be purchased at several locations

i do know i have the starter spring for it
i ran across one the other day

I'm ruling out 1020 now because mine doesn't have the open port in the side of the cylinder with the pipe sticking out of it.

I'm pretty firm on 1000

What's the part number on the cylinder? Its not a pure 1000, 'cause they didn't use pawls on the flywheel for the starter. Problem with trying to identify saws like this is so many parts can, and often have been, interchanged with others in the model lineup.

Dan

What's the part number on the cylinder? Its not a pure 1000, 'cause they didn't use pawls on the flywheel for the starter. Problem with trying to identify saws like this is so many parts can, and often have been, interchanged with others in the model lineup.

Dan

I think its almost a lost cause identifying it. Seems alot of parts interchange and I think i'm just gonna build something Xp related and atleast bring the beast back to its 100cc glory. It may not be to the book but will be cool and live on.

Part # on my cylinder is #58175

I never realized how close these were to the C series saws till i just took it apart. Looks like you could take any C series saw and just bolt the bigger cylinder on and make whatever you want. Everything besides the cylinder appear to be the same.

I am with Dan, the doesn't have a XP-1000 overrunning bearing starter. That is a good thing the overrunning bearings were not the best. My best guess would be a XP-1020. What ever it is I hope you get it running, you will like it!
Jonathan

Xp-1020

Hello again, I did some more checking, both XP-1000's and XP-1020 called for the 58175 cylinder, later models of XP-1020's were designated (W) which used the 58175 cylinder, not the unit with the hose on the cylinder. Also, I know it is weak, but the cylinder sheild on your saw is the same as a XP-1020. This is the sheet metal piece over the top of the cylinder with a notch for the spark plug, a XP-1000 has a rolled over to a lip around the spark plug cut out, yours is flat which accepts a rubber booty.

I really think you have a XP-1020! Good luck regardless, your right thumb will be getting a workout. Jonathan

I think its almost a lost cause identifying it. Seems alot of parts interchange and I think i'm just gonna build something Xp related and atleast bring the beast back to its 100cc glory. It may not be to the book but will be cool and live on.

Part # on my cylinder is #58175

Yep, these things remind me of the 911 Porsches. Every year, numerous changes, always a gradual evolution making it just a little better. Its really interesting to look at the evolution of the C series and the XPs, 1xxx and 2xxx series. Lots of little changes, yet so many parts interchange and can be made to work, even if it wasn't developed for a particular version.

As for the cylinder number, there should also be a letter, or number following the 58175. -A, -B, or -C was used on a XP-1000, a -3 was used on a 1020. Pretty sure there's some other letters that can also follow the 58175, but can't tell you where they would properly go. Note that 1020s came with and without the third air port on the cylinder, so don't let the fact that it doesn't have it fool ya.

Dan

Yep, these things remind me of the 911 Porsches. Every year, numerous changes, always a gradual evolution making it just a little better. Its really interesting to look at the evolution of the C series and the XPs, 1xxx and 2xxx series. Lots of little changes, yet so many parts interchange and can be made to work, even if it wasn't developed for a particular version.

As for the cylinder number, there should also be a letter, or number following the 58175. -A, -B, or -C was used on a XP-1000, a -3 was used on a 1020. Pretty sure there's some other letters that can also follow the 58175, but can't tell you where they would properly go. Note that 1020s came with and without the third air port on the cylinder, so don't let the fact that it doesn't have it fool ya.

Dan

I have a -d on my cylinder. What do you mean by air port??? Is that the extra tube that my cylinder does not have? What exactly is the benefit ofthat and if I find one of those cylinders can I make it work?

Pictures don't lie.

DSC03856.jpg

I have a -d on my cylinder. What do you mean by air port??? Is that the extra tube that my cylinder does not have? What exactly is the benefit ofthat and if I find one of those cylinders can I make it work?

Yea, some of the 1020s and 1050s (I guess 1130s too) used a funky idle air control setup. Cylinder had a metal tube on the side and connected to the intake manifold with a rubber hose. Idle air flow was adjusted through this and not just the carb. Not sure of the history of this setup. It'd be great to learn why they did this though.

Dan

Latest posts

Back