Homelite XP. Finally Got One

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i was all happy today because I thought I was gonna be able to get this saw mostly back together this weekend and have waited a long time to start this build. Went to the machine shop and got the old crank bearing off and the new one on, got it pressed in and away I went happy as could be. Got home and went to put the retaining screws and washers on and discovered I'm off by just a hair. It still needs to get pressed in just the tiniest bit and was to late to go back and now has to wait till Monday.

I went to put the other case half on and checked it before I put the screws in it and it just wasn't right. the crank will touch the case by about a paper thickness so back on the press it goes. I was getting nervous getting the crank in to begin with cause its actually tighter then I thought it was gonna be.

So anyways here is a pic so you can see just how close it is.

DSC03985.jpg

That saw will be pretty special when you finally complete the build Wildman. With all of those new bits and pieces to return it to its former glory - a great project. That crankshaft bearing had definitely seen better days. It was lucky it hadn't failed completely and ruined the engine altogether. Did you find the balls / remnants in the crankcase ?

I am thinking of starting on my Homelite 2000 Automatic as my next project ( have to complete my McCulloch 125 first) so will be going down a similar road to yourself in the way of a full stripdown and rebuild. All of my casing is intact though - I require a muffler cover (cracked), and hopefully I can get hold of the clutch cover and guide bar adjuster ass'y. I guess the hunt for spares is all part of the fun.

Regards,

Chris.

The Build Continues...

Finally After all this time was able to get everything ready and start putting it together today. It's gonna be a really sweet saw and I'm super excited to get it finished. It's gonna wear a 36" bar when its done and should pull it very well.

Time for the build pics...Eat your hear out Brad :cheers:

DSC04011.jpg

DSC04013.jpg

DSC04014.jpg

DSC04015.jpg

DSC04016.jpg

DSC04017.jpg

Coming Together Nicely

Well here she is in the final stages. All that is left to do it put the carb on and a fuel filter and she should run. She has really good compression and good spark. Don't mind the blue Flywheel shroud...I have a red one to match but it seems 2 of the 3 screw holes for the starter are striped so I'm temporarily using this one. Also don't mind the air filter cover as thats the only one I have right now. I have a full wrap bar for it but gotta strip the green paint off it thats 1/2 off already.

What would you think about maybe painting the air filter cover, clutch cover, and flywheel shroud black???? I think it would be kinda trick and doesn't really matter since this is a Frankenstein saw anyways.

I don't know why the cylinder shroud is coming out pink in the photos but when looking at the saw you can barely notice its a slightly different shade.

DSC04029.jpg

DSC04031.jpg

DSC04034.jpg

I need Help

OK today she was ready for fuel. I put some in the tank, pulled the choke and after pulling a few times she poped. I turned the choke off and pulled again and she fired and ran for a sec then stalled. when she was running she didnt have any throttle response. I think it may be point related

Did you prime it through the carb before trying to start.
If so the saw has to burn off that fuel before it will run
on carb fuel. No throttle response sounds like no fuel through the carb.
Sometimes i have to prime a couple times for the carb to get full enough for it to fun on it's own.

Lee

Did you prime it through the carb before trying to start.
If so the saw has to burn off that fuel before it will run
on carb fuel. No throttle response sounds like no fuel through the carb.
Sometimes i have to prime a couple times for the carb to get full enough for it to fun on it's own.

Lee

It's definaty getting fuel and it's pumping it on it's own. I have gotten it to run a couple times but it will only stay running for about 2 minutes before stalling. You can hold the throttle wide open and it will act like it wats to rev but won't. It almost acts like it's way to rich but it isn't.

It will pop and fire almost every time u pull it over. I have tried changing the plug and that didn't work. I really think it's spark related.

Did you put in new points and condenser.
I have seen condensers act this way.
You may have a bad one especially if it's
an old one.

Lee

No I reused the old ignition just the way it was but I cleaned it up 1st. I had no way to test it ahead of time since the saw was beat.

I think I'm gonna try swaping the entire ignition off my c-72 because I know it's ok and runs. If that does not work I'll go from there

It's definaty getting fuel and it's pumping it on it's own. I have gotten it to run a couple times but it will only stay running for about 2 minutes before stalling. You can hold the throttle wide open and it will act like it wats to rev but won't. It almost acts like it's way to rich but it isn't.

It will pop and fire almost every time u pull it over. I have tried changing the plug and that didn't work. I really think it's spark related.

from the way you descibe it here I am not so sure its not a fuel issue,

one thing I do with all the old saws after I see the spark and know they have enough commpression is run them on a squirt can.

that way you know you have fuel. Many of the saws I fire have sat for years but I just want to see if they will run on the squirt can before I worry about the fuel system.

I first prime the plug hole. once fired then I squirt gas in the carb while working the throttle..

hold er wide open,,,,, woo hoo........you can get some seriuos r's fast..
by that time if it has gas in it it should be pulling it and running if your carby is tweeked right

a little turn on the screws can make the problem you are describing change.

trial and error:greenchainsaw:

p.s. fired about six old saws last 2 days like that. couple ran off the tank. some need lines or cleanout yet. fired one of the 2100's too.. what a beast.

Latest posts

Back