Homelite XP. Finally Got One

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you said it will run for 2 minutes that nearly rules out fuel. I souinds like a heat/ignition issue.

Bill

Connect an ohmmeter between the spark plug wire and ground. Should show 8-9k ohm. If it shows open then either the plug wire is not contacting the pin where it goes into the coil or the coil secondary is open internally. I had the same problem you are describing with my C72. Replaced carb with known good carb thinking fuel problem, no change. Checked compression 160 psi cold. Then started checking ignition and found the plug wire was burnt away and not in contact with the pin inside the coil. Replaced wire and saw was good to go. BTW you can also replace the points with a Nova II module or a brown Atom module if you can find one.

Since you said it will run for 2 minutes that nearly rules out fuel. I souinds like a heat/ignition issue.

Bill

I was never the best trouble shooter but now that this is my 3rd homie like this i'm pretty confident its not a fuel issue. I can attach an empty line to the carb and after just a few pulls its full of fuel. It's also firing and running for a minute or so at a time from the fuel tank on the saw w/ no help from anything else. 1-1/4 turns out on the h/l screws should be enough to at least get the saw started on its own and running so I don't think that's it.

it will pop almost every time u pull the starter cord but will vary rarely start and run and when it does it will struggle till it stalls.

Before I try the other suggestions i'm gonna try the ignition swap from my c-72. I have a feeling thats the issue and if no i'm gonna put a nova module on it.

It's a runner...wahooooooo!!!!!!!

Well had the time this afternoon to try the ignition swap that I thought it was....well it was. :givebeer:

put her back together and gave a few pulls and she came right to life and man what an awesome sound she has. It's still beyond me that I just built this thing from a pile of parts and she runs and runs AWESOME. I have a 36" bar in the mail as we speak on its way here that's gonna go on her. She is gonna be quite the animal with that I can tell.

Since I had the c-72 apart to steal the known good working ignition I decided I might as well take a few other parts for the moment and then just replace them on the 72 later on. Now the XP looks much better w/o the blue air filter cover and flywheel shroud that was on it. I'm planning on taking here out to the wood Sunday and I'll take the 24" bar off my c-9 for now. I also have a 30" coming for the C-9 and gonna end up putting the 24 back on the 72 when I put it back together. BTW I also have a New NOS muffler cover on its way to.

well here they are a few pics of what she looks like and once the video is done uploading to youtube I'll get that posted back here.

DSC04045.jpg

DSC04046.jpg

DSC04047.jpg

DSC04048.jpg

OK, here it is ...THE VIDEO!!!!!! Tomorrow It's gonna get the 24" off the c-9 and a few test runs. Cannot wait for the 36" to come in

Thanks Joe...now you need to get one!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Izt-BQT1e4o&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Izt-BQT1e4o&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Videos in wood with 24" DULL 404 SKIP

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QrBdTC5uXsc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QrBdTC5uXsc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V4OghcailYg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V4OghcailYg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Very sweet. It's extra enjoyable cause you built it yourself. My first 090 was a box of parts when I got it and I was never prouder of any of my saws.

Nice job on the XP Ric sounds great. :cheers:

Thanks guys. It really does sound sweet. It has the full muffler on it and its my far the loudest thing I have. It's defiantly a hearing protection saw cause its defining in the old right ear.

That saw is by far my favorite saw. I have alot of time into it and it just means alot. I'm really happy with the finished product and glad you guys like it to...If only I could find an auto oiler...

Thanks cliff I couldn't have done the build w/o out you. All the internals like crank, rod, piston, cylinder, all the controls etc are from that parts saw...Just gave it new life in some new cases

Very very nice! Waiting for the other 497 videos to come :).

Dan

LOL i'm waiting on the other 497 to. I was lucky to be able to get those. I went 4 wheeling with a few friends and brought the old lady along and after we were done it was gonna be saw time. Well on our weay back we flipped the 4 wheeler over, she got hurt, broke a tie rod a few miles out in the woods. It wasn't good to saw the least. She knew I really wanted to run that saw after all this time so I had to make it quick...there will be more to come I promise.

I gotta find some bigger wood and in this area that's not to easy

Here are some final Pics

Got my 36" bar in today for here...Damn she looks good wearing it! At this point minus decals which I don't know what to do because she is like 4 different saws (Probably none) and painting the bar...She is finally finished.
I scored a 30" bar for the C-9 but have not put it on yet because I don't have chain for it so for now she wears the 24"

I'll probably get some more video on Sunday. My buddy bought a 026 pro and is itching to get it in wood and of course i have this so maybe some more video this weekend.

DSC04073.jpg

DSC04076.jpg

DSC04079.jpg

DSC04081.jpg

DSC04086.jpg

DSC04089.jpg

Nice saw. You need to find the big 2100 spike, which I imagine will bolt up. Will look even better.

I've got the parts coming to repair my 2100S and get her back to fightin' trim.

Chris B.

Nice saw. You need to find the big 2100 spike, which I imagine will bolt up. Will look even better.

I've got the parts coming to repair my 2100S and get her back to fightin' trim.

Chris B.

I would imagine that they would just bolt on and that would be pretty cool. I love your 2100 and would love to get my hands on 1 but don't have that kinda money to spend for a little while now. I have about $450 into this build. I probably could have bought a nice one for that but guess what this one is mine and I take great pride in the fact I built It.

I'm always open for 2100 or 1130 gear drive donations though

Man that saw sounds awesome in the wood!!!!!!! Just gota love those old saws.!! Gota get my CT going!!!

Your 100% correct about the sound. It really does sound awesome in the wood. I'll actually tune it a little this weekend and sink that 36" and post up a few more videos. That bar is a little overkill in my area but the saw just is not complete w/o it.

I love to see that river of chips flow out the bottom to. That saw makes a river of chips

Latest posts

Back