Homeowner Saw Comparison 40CC Class

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac 6-10

Steve on O. P. E.
Reaction score
So today I got all the popular small saws together for a comparison. made several cuts with each and timed the best ones as you will see. all the saws have the stock cutting equipment they come with out of the box. all have muffler mods and a retune as we all do with these guys and here are my results.

First place Echo CS400. 13.8 Seconds. Oregon 91vg chain. 40.2CC 18"
[video=youtube_share;qB6-aAe0Ps4]http://youtu.be/qB6-aAe0Ps4[/video]

Second place Husqvarna 435 15.4 seconds. Oregon 20bpx. 40.9CC 18"
[video=youtube_share;m52VogNN2nM]http://youtu.be/m52VogNN2nM[/video]

Third place. Poulan 2175 17.1 seconds Oregon 91px 36CC 18"
[video=youtube_share;Ale_zDoOvKI]http://youtu.be/Ale_zDoOvKI[/video]

No we all don't muffler mod to the noisy direction and re tune.

Why not use the same bar and chain at least on the two that have the Oregon 041 mount and are running the same class of drive sprocket?

I don't think you got all of the homeowner models. What makes a homeowner model anyway the echo website rates the cs400 as a Mid range saw, professional features, choice of pro's.

You should at least use the same chain model on them all, to make the comparison more valid.

As it was done, it basically tells nothing, except what happened there and then. BPX is not really suitable chain on the 435, it would surely do better with the VPX/H30.

Very nice to see a comparison in the homeowner class. Something that is neglected much to often on this site of saw snobs... :laugh:

A definately this cannot be true that a echo beats a husqvarna! You did something wrong on purpose!!! You should be expelled for showing this abdominable thing! All AS visitors should be allowed to watch this thread only with a blindfold and only the most bravest and experienced of them all should comment on this! We :bowdown: to thy words oh ST!

:hmm3grin2orange:

Dolmar PS-420?

Couldn't help but notice that the Dolmar 420 was absent. Guess that you didn't want to flat out spank the others, eh? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Echo CS 400

Love my cs 400, I won't hesitate to buy another for brushing and limbing, haven't MM yet,,

I run a 14" B/C combo and believe that is about the MAX I would try to run on it for what I do,,

Thanks a ton for the comparo!!

Last edited:
MS 250

[video=youtube;nt9K6ZJfjm4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt9K6ZJfjm4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Stihl 025,ms250 , would have buried all other competition in chips.

i geuss you left it out because it would have smeared all other saws rep.

yhy3y8er.jpg

Sent from my AutoTune carb

Title of the thread is 40cc saws, per Stihl the 250 is a 45.4cc saw.

I would hope with ~10% more displacement the Stihl would outcut the competition!

A thing to remember with the smaller saws is a significant amount of the engines power is going just to spin the chain around the bar. Bumping up displacement 10% puts all that added power into the cut, hence more than 10% better performance.

Couldn't help but notice that the Dolmar 420 was absent. Guess that you didn't want to flat out spank the others, eh? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I left those out because i don't own them:hmm3grin2orange:

No we all don't muffler mod to the noisy direction and re tune.

Why not use the same bar and chain at least on the two that have the Oregon 041 mount and are running the same class of drive sprocket?

I don't think you got all of the homeowner models. What makes a homeowner model anyway the echo website rates the cs400 as a Mid range saw, professional features, choice of pro's.

this was just something to do for fun. kind of to see what the big box store saws can do with no money dumped into them. just backwoods inginuity!:laugh:

You should at least use the same chain model on them all, to make the comparison more valid.

As it was done, it basically tells nothing, except what happened there and then. BPX is not really suitable chain on the 435, it would surely do better with the VPX/H30.

I'm sorry the chain on the 435 was 95vpx/h30. that was my mistake. they look the same in my oregon book.

As it was done, it basically tells nothing

That's ok, we all know the 36cc wildthing wouldn't be on top!:laugh:

Latest posts

Back