How big a saw do I really need?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you have 2 choices.....

Stihl MS880
or
Husky 3120

Seriously if you haven't found a huge need then a 50cc saw may be all you need. I would shoot in the 70cc area (an 038 Super would be sweet) if you want more power, but if your giving into CAD then look again at the first 2 choices ;)

I haven't read any of the replies, BRM, so I'll just throw my hat in the ring without wading through the usual circus. :D :D

Find a good used saw in the 70-80cc class. For me, of course, that'd be a 460 (still in production and on the shelf as a current model) or a slightly older 046. There are tons of these saws out there for $400 to $600 in excellent shape. I bought mine for a bit over $400 used.

You can run a 25-inch bar on these saws all day long and gobble stuff up. You can also put a 32-inch bar in the stable and bring it out if you really need it.

So you've got a good 2-saw plan with a 52cc and a 76cc saw. The little saw is light and easy to run and will do you for a lot of what you do. And when you've got bigger stuff, the bigger saw comes out. I will say that if you go this route, you'll end up with a silly grin on your face at how fast a properly tuned 70cc+ saw with a sharp chain and 25-inch bar gets through wood. :D

I ran that 2-saw plan with my 026 and 460 for awhile, thinking it would be enough. But then CAD struck, and I only used my handyman/maintenance/cabin care business as an excuse to build up the stable.

But a 2-saw plan in those two cc classes kicks ass! Good luck! :cheers:

Last edited:
Why if ya ain't got a 100cc saw or bigger then ya ain't got nothin'.

I think you're on the right track now with a 70cc or bigger saw and the brand is pretty much optional because there are many good saws in different colors. I have a 372 which I love and it does a good job on 30" and 36" wood. I've cut wood as wide as 42" with it. I don't feel the weight all that much when bucking because I'm just picking it up and sitting it down on the wood. My biggest bar is a 24" which works fine for what I've cut but a 28" may be better. Oh yeah, I have a 359 which is a good saw but I very seldom use it even on wood that it would cut with it easily since I got the 372.

I'm curious as to how a 90cc would cut that same 42" wood but I don't get enough in that size to justify another saw. That is unless I find one at a bargain price. :hmm3grin2orange:

Good luck on your choice and let us know what ya got.

Keep the ideas coming, boys. One thing I have decided, though, is I don't want to go vintage. I want the modern anti-vibe and air filtration.

This has been posted before.
realize turning 10.5krpm at the time.ran it over rich for the first tank.since tuned in much better.
wood is oak with several knots,skidded in thru the dirt too.
24 in bar.
$410 saw with new top end and HD air filter kit.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PE7GdEY7k2o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PE7GdEY7k2o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Check and see if Tommy stihl has his 7900. If so, you might want to run it before buying one. Even though they are BAD A saws, I can't bring myself to like them. I'd take a 044/440 anyday.

This has been posted before.
realize turning 10.5krpm at the time.ran it over rich for the first tank.since tuned in much better.
wood is oak with several knots,skidded in thru the dirt too.
24 in bar.
$410 saw with new top end and HD air filter kit.

I'm sorely tempted by that approach, but I just don't have time these days for a project like that. I need a turn-key cutting machine. I'm way behind on this winter's wood. I have dry wood (really dry!) waiting to be cut and split. It's bucked to odd lengths, and just needs to have some trimmed off.

Done deal!

Well, AS member mdavlee and I have a deal. I'm buying his 576. :clap:

http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=5097

He's shipping it as powerhead only. Shipping bars is a pain, and he's got other Husky's in his stable, so I'll get my own bars & chains.

I'm thinking of something like a 24" for most of my work, and a 32" for when it gets big. Whatcha tink?

I've got a Stihl 28" around here, too. Can that be adapted?

You can buy the Cannon bar adapter from Bailey's for $10 plus shipping. It will allow you to run Stihl bars on a Husky and it's the best adapter out there. I have three and I even have one running a 50" Stihl mount Cannon bar on my Husky 394.

On a 28" bar, you may need to add two links to your chain if it was previously on a Stihl.

You can buy the Cannon bar adapter from Bailey's for $10 plus shipping. It will allow you to run Stihl bars on a Husky and it's the best adapter out there. I have three and I even have one running a 50" Stihl mount Cannon bar on my Husky 394.

On a 28" bar, you may need to add two links to your chain if it was previously on a Stihl.

Oh no! Now you HAVE to put in an order to Bailey's! I bet it'll come to more than $10.00! :spam:

OP....it looks like you made a good choice!

He's shipping it as powerhead only. Shipping bars is a pain, and he's got other Husky's in his stable, so I'll get my own bars & chains.

I'm thinking of something like a 24" for most of my work, and a 32" for when it gets big. Whatcha tink?

Nice choice, I'm willing to bet your going to really like that one.

LOL!!!
GREAT CHOICE!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

When ya order the adapter, pick up an 8 pin rim for running a 20" on it.
It'll pull it, and it's habit forming on smaller stuff to do so.;)

OH!! and a spare pack of skivvies next time you're in town,
cuz after all this time getting vibrated senseless while mouse nibbling away with the Efco, you're gonna giggle yourself ####less running the 576.

If all I had to do with a 70cc saw was bucking, the 576 would be my first choice. You're gonna be kicking yourself for not getting one sooner.

WOOHOOO!!! NEW HUSKY!!!
(No new saws in budget here..gotta live Vicariously.:D)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Congrats Mark! Excelleant choice. You will not be disappointed either. Mike has some great saws man. Enjoy your new saw!:clap:

I was going to recommend a 7900, 440, or 372.

You made a good choice on that 576. Should have just the power you need without weighing you down.
I would run a 24" all day. And up to a 32" for occasional use.

Where you at in Va? I'm in the SW tip. Smyth Co.

Thanks for the confirmation on my choice. The check goes out today, and he'll ship it when he gets the money, so I should be cutting with it pretty soon. :clap:

Or should I say, :D ?

Yeah, it's definitely :D

Now to get some bars ordered. manyhobies, you think I can't order from Bailey's and keep it to ten bucks? Well, I'll show you! I'll just order that adapter and....

Hmmm. Need another Pferd sharpening guide, too... Time to pick up some more files while I'm at it.... Let's see... what else do I need....

:D

Anthony, I'm up in the north end of the Shenandoah Valley, near Front Royal. Just come on up I-81! :cheers:

I guess I stumbled onto this thread too late...
Mark, I was going to invite you over to the good side of The Valley and let you play with my 460, but.....:laugh:

congrats on the new acquisition, BRM.

Like yourself, I just cut firewood. Maybe 3 times as much as you per year, but nothing like tomtrees huge pile he posts in the firewood forum.

I built my practical but not too impressive line-up on a shoestring budget. The j'red 2149 rides with me in the truck. 50ccs is about all I need most of the time. Use the 210 quite a bit in the real small stuff. That little saw positively sips fuel.

I'm not too much into logs that are much over 20-24". But I got an old Homelite 550 that makes an appearance every now and again when I'm fortunate enough to get into the big wood. Probably not practical for you since it looks like you're consistently working bigger diameter stuff.

This Husky will put me on the 3 saw plan. I have an Echo 3450 for light trimming and limbing, ant he Efco 52 cc which has been my "big" saw until now, and did everything else.

I figure the Husky and Efco will split most of my firewood cutting between them about 50/50 from here out.

Back