how bout a dump trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry wayne

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ive been looking into some of these ,and they sound like a life(and back) saver...i go and pick up some cutup loads sometimes,when a tree guy calls me,and its bad enough to load by hand,and then to unload it too? anyway not cryin here just looking for some x,perience on these dump trailers,,,,ya know how they handle,dump,take a beating......ill be using it for other things too.Thanx and yes ill get those tree pictures out as soon as i have time to wipe my :censored:

I can tell you i bought one (used) a few months ago. Though i've only hauled one load home in it so far..... i hope to use it quite a bit as soon as the grounds dries up. A friend insisted i borrow his for two days to try it out. I started looking at them as soon as i give his back. After using his to haul about two cord (between truck and dump trailer) home in one trip had me hooked. And i don't even need to tell you how nice it was to push a button and have it unloaded !! Mine is only a 7000lb rig.... but i will mostly use it for wood, so i'm not terribly concerned about being overweight with it loaded to the tops of the sideboards with dirt..... i won't be hauling much dirt. I felt new ones were too expensive for me to justify for just hauling firewood home, but ther are nice used trailers out there if you do some looking. Mine is an '04 ...... i paid $2200, less than half of what the original owner paid new.

dump trailers are nice to have ive got one i run a cord from the truck to the trailer to keep the battery charged on the trailer mine is the 12,000 unit i haul stone, stumps, etc has held up good in the 2 years ive owned it .

I bought a 16' gooseneck dump last summer. I haul all my wood in log leingth, and try to get about 3 cords to the load. I used to unload off a flat bed with a can't hook. About 5 years ago a little log got crossways and shattered my left knee. I don't have to worry about that happening again now.

Andy

trailer shopping too

I'm just about crossed eyed, from surfin' the web looking at who makes what and how much? blah blah blah. I found a guy who custom builds them, My specs for what I want are. same width as my pick up, so I can cruise narrow roads and not hook a tree with a wider trailer. I want a dumping deck over. meaning the deck is over the wheels, not like the dumps that are between the wheels. I want a goose neck because it makes turning in cramped quarters way easier. We are designing some kind of boom that will swing from the corner post of the goose neck with a winch or hydraulic lift to use to load small logs on the trailer. I want removable or fold down sides so If we need to load large logs or fork lift lumber on there we can.it will be a great asset to the business

I sometimes wish my dump was over the wheels instead of between. You probably want it for log loading, but it's nice to have the extra height for dumping too. I have to dump and drive ahead to get a load out.

I researched the crap out of these things for about a year and finally bought one in January. I bought a 7x12 12K new for $5,300.

I wanted a low profile so I could load the tractor on it and with powder coating, spredder gate (to gravel my 1.2 mile driveway) a 10 guage floor with the on board charging system and it absolutely had to have a scissor lift. My buddy has a 10k with a single ram and he has to shovel off dirt once in a while because it won't lift.

My 12k weighs in at 3,700lbs. so that means I can " Legally" haul 8,300lbs. But, yesterday I have 11,000 lbs on it ( OPPS !! ) i thought I was going to have to shovel off a few ton for sure but the scissor lift handeled it with just a little straining. Once it got it up about 6"-8" it lifted fine.
Whatever you get try and get a scissor lift. The only manufacturer I seen that offered the scissor lift in a 10k was Hawke. There might be others. I don't think anyone will offer the scissor lift in a 7K unit though.

BTW, I looked at the deck overs but they are WAY too high to haul a tractor in and i bet loading it up would be an adventure. My Low Profile isn't all that low either, the side rails come up to about my chest and I have never had an issue with dumping. I think a deck over would be pretty unstable with a big load but that is just my opinion.

Happy hunting, I have heard craigslist has a few on there once in a while. I gave up on finding a used one, most people don't want to give them up, so I just bit the bullet and bought a new one.

ktm,
Mine has the single ram also, and I sometimes have a problem getting it to dump. I keep a pry bar handy and use it to give the bed a little boost. If that doesn't work, I also keep a small scissors jack handy and set it on the battery box and use a 2X4 to get the lift started. Usually 6'' will get it dumping. I think it is because the single ram gets so close to horizontal that it doesn't have much lifting power. Sometimes it's so close to going I can just lift it by hand. Just for your friends' info.

I sometimes wish my dump was over the wheels instead of between. You probably want it for log loading, but it's nice to have the extra height for dumping too. I have to dump and drive ahead to get a load out.

most of my stuff is already cut up for me ,and ill be hauling gravel and dirt to for my loader/backhoe biz also......doesnt having the box over the wheels make the center of gravity a little more hazardous too? what is the clearence from the ground to the bed rear on yours,and what size is it.....also do you know what size box (not stacked) holds about a cord.Thanx in advance P.S. isnt this a cool site :fart:

Here's a pic of mine from a few years back when it was still shiny. The tailgate almost hits the ground when it's fully raised, so to dump a full load of firewood, I have to drive ahead and leave a trail instead of a pile. Usually not a biggy. A barn door type tailgate would help. Maybe a deck over trailer would be too top heavy. My trailer has rusted pretty bad, so the powder coat suggestion might be a good one. I'm just going to hit mine with Rustoleum when it gets warm enough.
My bed is 12'X6'X20''. I haven't done the math lately, but I put 10'' sides on it and I figure that should hold a full loose cord. Yep, just did the math and it should be 180 cu.ft. which should be a fat cord.
attachment.php

I pulled a deck over dump trailer for years. It had 7' sides on it and we used it mostly for hauling mulch in the spring, and leaves in the fall. A Billy Goat vac mounted on the front of the trailer and a tarp across the back we could get a nice 10x6x7 cube of wet leaves in there and never had an issue with feeling like it was going to roll over.

If you are planning on using it as an equipment trailer also, the low profile is the ticket. But either design is plenty stable.

Here's a pic of mine from a few years back when it was still shiny. The tailgate almost hits the ground when it's fully raised, so to dump a full load of firewood, I have to drive ahead and leave a trail instead of a pile. Usually not a biggy. A barn door type tailgate would help. Maybe a deck over trailer would be too top heavy. My trailer has rusted pretty bad, so the powder coat suggestion might be a good one. I'm just going to hit mine with Rustoleum when it gets warm enough.
My bed is 12'X6'X20''. I haven't done the math lately, but I put 10'' sides on it and I figure that should hold a full loose cord. Yep, just did the math and it should be 180 cu.ft. which should be a fat cord.
attachment.php

Is that a light duty F250 or a F150 that you're pulling your dump trailer with? And how many pounds is your dump trailer rated for? I'm always interested to see what others are using as pull trucks for their trailers. My personal 'dream' setup, for what I do now with firewood, would be a Ford Powerstroke Super Duty F250 4x4(or Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4) pulling a 10,000 rated tandem axle dump trailer. I've been doing research on the different year model trucks and which diesel engine's are available, and how much trailer weight they are rated to pull. Right now my setup is a 1997 Ford F-150 4x4 (4.6L, 3.55, upgraded rear suspension) pulling a borrowed tandem axle 18' x 7' BigTex 70CH trailer with homemade wood sides. Not enough truck to properly do the job, but I'm careful.

Kevin

That's a F150, which I bought before I got a dump trailer, equipment trailer and a tractor to haul around. I decided to bump up to a F250. I plow some too. That F150 handled everthing ok, but I sure do love my F250, plus it's gray. It's just got the Triton V-8, but for my short hauls it does fine. The trailer is a 11,000 lb. and weighs around 2500.

Yep, They can get heavy in a hurry especially when loading it up with gravel. I pull mine with a Dodge CTD. I have never ran out of grunt, but i have ran out of traction on uphill dirt roads a few times.

That's a F150, which I bought before I got a dump trailer, equipment trailer and a tractor to haul around. I decided to bump up to a F250. I plow some too. That F150 handled everthing ok, but I sure do love my F250, plus it's gray. It's just got the Triton V-8, but for my short hauls it does fine. The trailer is a 11,000 lb. and weighs around 2500.

tried to tote my gater trailer with my b.h and loader with my f 150 went down hill fine when i tried to get back up it though.....i bought an 04 f 350 powerstroke and never regreted it once....fpr heavy payload Diesel is the only way to pull ill get some pics up when i get of the fence and buy the trailer :cheers:

Yep, They can get heavy in a hurry especially when loading it up with gravel. I pull mine with a Dodge CTD. I have never ran out of grunt, but i have ran out of traction on uphill dirt roads a few times.

i got a power stroke ,and my inlaw is all about dodge....on his rear window it says (id rather be cummin than stoke-n thought you might n-joy that:jester:

Yep, Not a big ford guy here. Not allowed to if you drive a dodge. it is like being a Yankee and a a Red Sox fan.

I have a window stick that says " Dodge makes it Cummins shakes it"

Here, I just found this pic, it's more accurate now, 'cept the trailer ain't so shiny now. Man that's a good looking setup.:laugh:
attachment.php

I used to own a 12k cap 10 footer for firewood sales. It gets a little tedious backing in driveways to deliver wood, esp if you ve got a stiff neck. I got a 1 ton dump and sold trailer. Now 1 ton got sold as it was getting nasty looking and not worth rehab. I am now shopping for a used d trailer. Nice to have this thread as I will look for scissor lift. Didn t know lack of power of single piston. Nice not paying vehicle ins and reg. Also being able to leave in middle of yard of job and toss into.

I've been drooling over those also. There's a dealer about 8 miles from me. Among the many things that prevent me from owning one are:

1. Price

2. Truck (F150) has 6600lb tow capacity, which means I could only put about 4.5k in a trailer that is rated for 7k. Waste of trailer capacity.

3. I cut and split on site for the most part, and filling my truck and 5x8 3500lb trailer leaves me crawling in at night hoping for a beer or two before I go to bed. More capacity is not what I need.

Did I mention that I have plans for bumping the 12" sides on my trailer up to 24"? I have the electric brake controller installed in the truck, and the brakes and drums for the trailer out on the back porch. Just need rims, old ones are 5 on 5 and the new drums are 5 on 4 1/2.

Glutton for punishment? You bet. I can't wait.
Ian

Back