how bout a dump trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haywire,

Yes, the prices are pretty steep for sure. I finally talked the CFO ( the wife ) into one and now I use it for EVERYTHING!! the first thing i hauled was 10 ton of very nice dark soil for the wifes garden, 2 trips was all it took and she is a happy camper now.

I will also be hauling my tractor in it in the summers to mow fields locally which equals extra money, which the CFO loves !!
If you shop around you might get lucky and find a nice used one. I think your F-150 would be fine with a 7k dumper filled to capacity but not so much if it is overfilled, which is VERY easy to do.

Yep, Not a big ford guy here. Not allowed to if you drive a dodge. it is like being a Yankee and a a Red Sox fan.

Ha ha, that's what everyone tells me. I've got a 97 Powerstroke, and a 98 Cummins. I guess it depends on your prefrences, the Powerstroke is like driving a Detroit, and the Cummins is like driving a real truck.:jawdrop: Woops, did I just say that?:hmm3grin2orange:

Andy

Ha ha, that's what everyone tells me. I've got a 97 Powerstroke, and a 98 Cummins. I guess it depends on your prefrences, the Powerstroke is like driving a Detroit, and the Cummins is like driving a real truck.:jawdrop: Woops, did I just say that?:hmm3grin2orange:

Andy

HA !! You said it, not me !! I once witnessed my buddy pull 12 ton up the road with is CTD it was a back road. . It didn't like it but it did it. Good thing the weight crew wasn't around :cry:

my rig
2006 F350 6.0 diesel 4x4 with a PJ 8' wide 14' long 14,000# GVW trailer.
campingprincetonshoot-15.jpg

thats a black walnut tree in the trailer me and my climber took out last summer... the base of the tree was about 3.5' across, it was the biggest black walnut tree we ever saw.

the trailer cost me @$6200 and its been a life saver and a workhorse. as long as the battery is charged there hasnt been a load yet it couldnt dump.

More of the same

This is almost :deadhorse: cuz I'm gonna offer up more of the same, but gonna do it anyway. :)

I had the same debate about getting a dumper a few years ago. Almost bought just a straight flat-bed w/ sides, but found a PJ 12' dump, new, for $4700. I tripped and bought it... first time I used it was to haul a black locust which I'd cut down. Was one of those 90 degree, high humidity days here in Iowa. Man, cannot tell you how nice it was to just push that button to dump it, instead of pulling what I'd just loaded into it back out. Haven't regretted the decision yet (other than wishing I'd gotten a 14 or 16 footer), and used it for tons of stuff.

Attaching some pics of it... was back when I had my '00 Powerstroke... have an '05 Dodge (Cummins) now. Lent the trailer out to my buddy once w/ his F150... pulled it, but worked the bejesus out of it... he came back to borrow my truck too. ;)

when you put brush in the dump trailers, ( carefully ) use your saw to cut the brush down so it packs in there better, youd be amazed at how much room this saves. i then throw the logs on top of the brush to hold it down better, and throw some ratchet straps over the logs.

my trailer has been worth every penny to me. and if theres too much brush i bring a chipper along to chip into the dump trailer, usually putting plywood or sides into the trailer for extra room.

:yoyo: :yoyo:
This is almost :deadhorse: cuz I'm gonna offer up more of the same, but gonna do it anyway. :)

I had the same debate about getting a dumper a few years ago. Almost bought just a straight flat-bed w/ sides, but found a PJ 12' dump, new, for $4700. I tripped and bought it... first time I used it was to haul a black locust which I'd cut down. Was one of those 90 degree, high humidity days here in Iowa. Man, cannot tell you how nice it was to just push that button to dump it, instead of pulling what I'd just loaded into it back out. Haven't regretted the decision yet (other than wishing I'd gotten a 14 or 16 footer), and used it for tons of stuff.

Attaching some pics of it... was back when I had my '00 Powerstroke... have an '05 Dodge (Cummins) now. Lent the trailer out to my buddy once w/ his F150... pulled it, but worked the bejesus out of it... he came back to borrow my truck too. ;)
just wanna know why the switch to dodge?

Dodge

Hey Jerry... well, I liked my Ford Powerstroke, but was never truly thrilled with the mileage and a few other issues (cam sensor went out and stranded me once, battery's died early, glow plug module needed replaced, all by 100K miles). When I was in the market (late fall '05) I couldn't find any Ford deals worth a darn... seemed they were around $4K+ higher than a comparably equipped Dodge. Also, at the time I was looking to replace the truck, I was skeered by the horror stories from the new, smaller powerstroke motor.

My brother had an 01 Dodge, and I was never impressed by the power of it, stock. Had great low end great (better than my powerstroke), but to me it seemed like it had a very flat top-end (really once you hit about 2K rpm it seemed to die). I was impressed, however, w/ its durability, as he beat it like it was a rental for five years' straight, and never gave him a lick of trouble.

When I went and finally drove a new 05 Cummins, it felt very strong all across the powerband... very diff from the 01's of my brothers (basically had that low end grunt of that Gen II cummins but also had the top-end of my powerstroke). Sooo, went with the Dodge quad cab. 2 years and 34K miles later, I am very happy with it and would make the same decision again. Overall, I miss the room of the Ford crew cab (best cab out there IMHO) and the seats, but think that the Dodge beats out across the rest of the categories... power, mileage (babying my dodge, can get 20 mpg, best I ever saw on my PS was 18... pulling or driving faster, still seem to be 1 - 3 mpg ahead of my PS), ease of cold weather starting, quieter in the cab, drives better, more maneuverable (more due to shorter wheelbase/narrower width than better engineering). Stock, my Dodge will pull hills in OD that my chipped Ford would shift down for...

Sorry for the winded reply... hopefully you had some popcorn to munch on whilst reading. :) Also attaching a pic of the white beast taken whilst on a recent trip to Grand Lake, CO. (they'd had two weeks of almost 60 degree weather and still as you can see had a wee bit o snow)

Rod

Rod- what gears did you have in the ford vs. the gears in the dodge? if you had 3.73s in the ford, and 3.90s or lower in the dodge that could make the difference in the downshifting in the hills as you mentioned.

im happy with my ford, owned 3 new super duties ( 02,03,06) i think ill be sticking with mine for quite a while now given then options on the market and the PRICES. my friend just spent $52K on a king ranch super duty dually.... its a sweet truck, but i thought i broke the bank when i spend $40K

i got the 100K warrenty and im determined to use up every mile this time.

Builttoughf350,

The 05' dodge would either have 3:73's or 4:11 gears.

I am on my second CTD now and only got rid of my 01" for an 05" because i needed a quad cab for the kids. I will stick with Dodge considering all the horror stories i have heard about the Ford 6.0.
Your trailer is sweet. I have a 7x12 12K and wish I would have gotten a 14 footer. I'm guessing your PJ is a scissor lift. That was one thing i was not going to go without when I bought mine. I do not want to have to shovel 4 tons of gravel ....

KTM

i guess dodge changed their gear ratios since i owned on. IIRC my 2000 ram had 3.55s stock, which i swapped out for 4.10 gears after i lifted it and put 35" tires under it.

i seem to remember dodges having 3.55s, 3.92s, and 4.10s? dont remember what else after that. guess they are going with 3.73s to match the fords + chebbies

3.73's and 4:11's are the choices now. Personally i liked the 3:55's in my 01' better than the 3:73's in my 05'.
BTW, what is the max weight you have had in your Dump trailer? My 12K weighs 3,700lbs so, obviously I can "Legally" haul 8,300 lbs. On my very first load I had in it I had 10,100 lbs. of crush and run in it.. ( OPPS !! ) it handled it very well and it even dumped it with just a bit of straining... I found uot quickly that it is very hard to judge the weight of gravel...

Gears and stuff...

Both my 00 PS and my 05 CTD had/have 3.73's... weird thing, the PS had 16" tires, CTD has 17"... running 70 mph, the CTD is running 100 or 150 rpm slower than the Ford was. Now, in the Ford's defense, it's probably 300 pounds heavier, and is 4 inches wider. 4 inches doesn't sound like much (hmmm, couple of good jokes there), but it is a fair amount more wind which it's pushing compared to the Dodge.

Re: the PJ... nope, not a scissor lift. Have never had a problem yet w/ it unloading... had it chock full of dirt and it lifted it fine... not sure exactly how much weight that was, but guessing it was over rated payload.

Not sure if this has been called out explicitly, but another thing to look for when trailer shopping are the doors. Do they barn door out as well as open, do they just drop down, etc.? My doors barn door out and can open from the bottom, but won't open from the top. Has anyone had any issues w/ the doors which tailgate down? Wondering if they would get abused/bent up any more...

Rod

P.S. builttoughf350... I can't remember, did the 02's have the 7.3 in them still? Seems like they did, but my rememberer's getting as old as the rest of me. If so, how would you compare the old to new powerstrokes? Have chatted w/ very few guys who've gotten the new PS's, but the little bit I have heard has been that they're very strong runners, with a lot more top end snap than the old 7.3's... Also, what tranny do you have, the new 5 speed auto? That's one thing which is a bummer about my CTD, wish it had a few more gears. Not that I've really needed them yet, but can see in the right situations the extra options (gears) would be really nice.

Last edited:
I agree with the tailgate issues with dump trailers. That is something i thought long and hard about before i bought mine. I needed a spreader gate for sure to gravel my 2.5 mile road. But, m ybuddies has the barn doors and they seem to be saging a little and just about everyone I have talked to that has the pickup tailgate style hate them abd loading things are always an issue.
So, I think the way to go is the spreader and the whole gate also swinging open . Next would be barngate and spreader. This is just my opinion and what works best for me.

I have a Bri-mar 12ton, dual-cylinder. I can pull the 12t behind my F-350 with no problem. The dual cylinders proved to be worth the cost; extra power and more stable on uneven truff. Sometimes I have to load my hand, but unloading is always an easy job.
bob

KTM- not sure how much weight ive had in the trailer. weve stacked logs as high as the roof of the truck from front to rear of the trailer, til the trailer tires were squatting pretty good. it has the split rear door that opens from the center, or also the "Spreader" option / gate. ive only hauled dirt / rock in it a couple times, always used for tree removal other times.

RamRod- the 02s still had the 7.3s and even some 03's had the 7.3s in them. they started putting the 6.0 in the 03s also. my 6.0 tows VERY well, and hauls @$$ !

i do have the 5 speed auto, and it seems ALOT faster than a 7.3 if they are both stock. a few of my friends chipped + modded 7.3s will outrun my truck though, but with alot of mod$

Ever heard of these trailers?

Texas Pride Trailers (would post the URL, but not certain if I can/should... anyhoo if you google Texas Pride or go to ebay and look at their dump trailers, you'll find 'em)

They make up to a 20 foot bumper hitch dump trailer?!? :dizzy: Prices seem very good too, $5500 for a 16 foot dumper... almost too good to be true. Anybody have any experience with them, or know anyone who does? If they're the real deal, I may be selling my 12 foot PJ...

Rod

I have a miska 7ton dump trailer and a 2003 2500hd with duramax engine truc to tow it.... works nice

Latest posts

Back