how bout a dump trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texas Pride Trailers (would post the URL, but not certain if I can/should... anyhoo if you google Texas Pride or go to ebay and look at their dump trailers, you'll find 'em)

They make up to a 20 foot bumper hitch dump trailer?!? :dizzy: Prices seem very good too, $5500 for a 16 foot dumper... almost too good to be true. Anybody have any experience with them, or know anyone who does? If they're the real deal, I may be selling my 12 foot PJ...

Rod

I had Texas Pride custom build an 8' wide deck over dump trailer last June. The frame is built well, but they do cut a lot of corners in other places.
Mine is a 16' 14K gooseneck. Their axles are crap! My 3rd load of logs weighed 10K, that put me under 14K gvw, bent both axles. Texas Pride wouldn't do anything about it,:mad: so I straightened them somewhat and tried again. The axles started looking like pretzels, so I ordered a new set from South West Wheel (about 350.00). Problem solved.
Also check all the bolts on the trailer for tightness. Front axle U-bolts were loose, letting the axle move, almost ruined the spring seats. All the nut's for the wiring on the pump were loose (cost me a battery 75.00), and the bolts holding the pump down were loose (caught that before any damage).
All in all, by the time you get one in shape to work you'll have a little under 7000.00 in it (not too bad), but remember once it leaves their lot you're on your own. :bang:

Andy

for anyone planning on buying a dump trailer in the future...

BUY THE BIGGEST ONE YOUR TRUCK WILL TOW!!!!

ive got a 8'wideX14'long and i could appreciate an extra 2-4 feet in length... when im throwing long branches in, or just plain need more room...

Anyone have any experience with Big Tex dump trailers? Or know someone who has?

Kevin

I had Texas Pride custom build an 8' wide deck over dump trailer last June. The frame is built well, but they do cut a lot of corners in other places.
Mine is a 16' 14K gooseneck. Their axles are crap! My 3rd load of logs weighed 10K, that put me under 14K gvw, bent both axles. Texas Pride wouldn't do anything about it,:mad: so I straightened them somewhat and tried again. The axles started looking like pretzels, so I ordered a new set from South West Wheel (about 350.00). Problem solved.
Also check all the bolts on the trailer for tightness. Front axle U-bolts were loose, letting the axle move, almost ruined the spring seats. All the nut's for the wiring on the pump were loose (cost me a battery 75.00), and the bolts holding the pump down were loose (caught that before any damage).
All in all, by the time you get one in shape to work you'll have a little under 7000.00 in it (not too bad), but remember once it leaves their lot you're on your own. :bang:

Andy

well I have been considering their gooseneck 21k rolloff trailer and 10 bins for my scrap haling biz but I am still up in the air $25k is alot to spend to have it turn to sh it when you go to the max one or two times:(

as far as dump trailers go I am going to get a 7x16' gooseneck for my firewood deliveries cause I just sold my dump truck today, why have 4-5 trucks to do what 1 can, less insurance on a trailer then on a commercial truck that just sits 8 months out of the year

why have 4-5 trucks to do what 1 can, less insurance on a trailer then on a commercial truck that just sits 8 months out of the year

this is why i dont have a chip truck. if i sub out someone with a chipper they either have to provide their own chip truck, or ill put sides in my dump trailer to chip into- my daily driver i posted a pic of before ( 2006 F350 ) costs me an arm and a leg for fuel /payment / insurance etc so why would i want to buy a chip truck when im getting by just fine without one!

maybe someday if i have enough $ in the bank to pay cash for a chip truck, then ill buy one. that wont be anytime soon!

for anyone planning on buying a dump trailer in the future...

BUY THE BIGGEST ONE YOUR TRUCK WILL TOW!!!!

ive got a 8'wideX14'long and i could appreciate an extra 2-4 feet in length... when im throwing long branches in, or just plain need more room...

I did!! Just put a grand down on a cam superline. I went for the 5cam612LPD rated at 11,960 GVWR and will pick it up next week....can't wait! Don't ya just love buying new kit?;) There's pics of cam superlines on this thread so I assume that I made a good choice. Any comments would be appreciated.... Oh, doing the pulling will be my '06 Power Wagon.

Last edited:
Nice lookin trailer!

Here's my new 12 ft 12k homesteader, havent really put it to the test yet cause its only a few days old, but ive heard good things
:clap:
Hey Nitro, nice lookin trailer and sides! So, whachya gonna use it for? Looks like might be set up for chips and/or brush? You'll be all smiles the first time you push that button and just sit there and watch it dump for ya'... especially if you're at a public place and there's other poor schmucks around yankin stuff off a flat-bed. :biggrinbounce2:

KMB... I've seen a few Big Tex trailers around (looked to be three-four years oldish... ), but haven't heard anything good nor bad about 'em.

I was really tempted to go w/ an 18 foot Texas Pride, but am a skeered of potential quality/durability issues. Especially w/ buying straight from a manufacturer who's 900 miles away from me. Looking now at Griffin Trailers, seem to be just a tinch more expensive, but better built? Also looking at the Midsota Versadumps, but they're a tinch more expensive yet, although would be from a local dealer which would be handy if/when I had issues. Err... with the trailer. I's always got issues. :biggrinbounce2:

Rod

I did!! Just put a grand down on a cam superline. I went for the 5cam612LPD rated at 11,960 GVWR and will pick it up next week....can't wait! Don't ya just love buying new kit?;) There's pics of cam superlines on this thread so I assume that I made a good choice. Any comments would be appreciated.... Oh, doing the pulling will be my '06 Power Wagon.
That's mine you saw pics of. I'm happy with mine. I've spent a lot of time around trailers, and it has a lot of features I appreciate, like the adjustable hitch height, or you can swap the ball mount type for a pintle, the molded connecter cable going to a terminal box, a piece of pipe welded to the A-frame to keep the connector in and a couple others I can't think of right now.

:clap:
Hey Nitro, nice lookin trailer and sides! So, whachya gonna use it for? Looks like might be set up for chips and/or brush? You'll be all smiles the first time you push that button and just sit there and watch it dump for ya'... especially if you're at a public place and there's other poor schmucks around yankin stuff off a flat-bed. :biggrinbounce2:

KMB... I've seen a few Big Tex trailers around (looked to be three-four years oldish... ), but haven't heard anything good nor bad about 'em.

I was really tempted to go w/ an 18 foot Texas Pride, but am a skeered of potential quality/durability issues. Especially w/ buying straight from a manufacturer who's 900 miles away from me. Looking now at Griffin Trailers, seem to be just a tinch more expensive, but better built? Also looking at the Midsota Versadumps, but they're a tinch more expensive yet, although would be from a local dealer which would be handy if/when I had issues. Err... with the trailer. I's always got issues. :biggrinbounce2:

Rod

Im gonna use it for chips, brush for the small jobs, mulch, and anything else that will make me some $$$

Rod

Well, it looks like my job is done here.:hmm3grin2orange:
The biggest problem I see with Texas Pride is that they just need to give a crap. We are all going to advertise for who made the equipment we have, it's up to the mfg. if the advertising is good or bad. I spent a little less than a grand on mine to make it a decent trailer. I don't feel I should have had to (especially on a new trailer).
One of my neighbors has a Big Tex 16' dump with a grapple loader. He loves it.
I've never pulled one, but it looks pretty good.

Andy

This is a nice thead... I've been looking into one for use around my house... hard to step into one since I have Mack dump truck for any serious hauling. But, its hard to load firewood in that thing by hand!

Unfortunately, my biggest truck is a 1/2 ton Dodge...

Back