How Did I Damage My Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This process seems to work very well - holding the bar up. I should re-read the manual :)
You have to hold the bar up to counteract the tolerances of the bar studs and the bar's mounting slot.
If You don't hold the bar up (or tighten the chain with the saw being upside down ;) ) Your chain will be way too lose once You start cutting and the bar moves up against the studs due to pressure and vibrations.

Just don't go overboard. Too tight is prolly safer, but it's not good for the saw.
Agreed, checking tension once per tank should work fine as long as the chain isn't too lose to start with.
Though a new chain will require a bit more initial attention until it breaks in.

Again, nice saw You chose. :)
Just don't lend it out, people that borrow stuff often enough don't care much about their own things lest for stuff that don't belongs to them.

and do not tighten a hot chain, at least not very much. If the chain is hot, and you tighten up to where it should be when its cold, it will contract and put a ton of pressure on the crank and will sit that way till the next time you use it. its perfectly normal to have a chain sag A LITTLE BIT when its warmed up. make several small adjustments rather than one big adjustment.

You have to hold the bar up to counteract the tolerances of the bar studs and the bar's mounting slot.
If You don't hold the bar up (or tighten the chain with the saw being upside down ;) ) Your chain will be way too lose once You start cutting and the bar moves up against the studs due to pressure and vibrations.

This makes sense - I was always curious how to handle the little bit of slop there.

Again, nice saw You chose. :)
Just don't lend it out, people that borrow stuff often enough don't care much about their own things lest for stuff that don't belongs to them.

Thanks! It took me a lot of time to decide on this saw - I really like it. I still have my old Echo 452VL for loaner duty.

and do not tighten a hot chain, at least not very much. If the chain is hot, and you tighten up to where it should be when its cold, it will contract and put a ton of pressure on the crank and will sit that way till the next time you use it.

Good point on the hot chain.

When storing - do you leave your chains slack on the saw? I remember being taught to take tension off my bandsaw blades when not in use and do the same with chainsaws.

Also - this forum is amazing. I am glad I am no longer lurking :rock:

I like how the3w instruction say when chain tension is checked engine must be switched off. Is anyone really dumb enough to grab the chain of a running saw? If so they get slapped with a stupid tax real quick

I like how the3w instruction say when chain tension is checked engine must be switched off. Is anyone really dumb enough to grab the chain of a running saw? If so they get slapped with a stupid tax real quick

You would be surprised. As they say, common sense isn't so common anymore.

and do not tighten a hot chain, at least not very much. If the chain is hot, and you tighten up to where it should be when its cold, it will contract and put a ton of pressure on the crank and will sit that way till the next time you use it. its perfectly normal to have a chain sag A LITTLE BIT when its warmed up. make several small adjustments rather than one big adjustment.
Sorry but I don't buy that. If the chain is hot so is the bar etc, the only way I could see it a problem is if you tightened it and did not run it and really tightened it down. I tightened mine hot for 30 years so far never been a problem.

Most (non-professional) people seem to over tighten their chains. Probably because most people are afraid of their own shadows. If tight makes you feel safe, go for it.

Throwing a chain here and there is just something that happens with certain tasks( like brushing and cutting bound wood). For these tasks I run a tighter chain than when bucking, but if I tried to tighten it enough to guarantee no thrown chains ever, I'd strip out adjusters.

Sorry but I don't buy that. If the chain is hot so is the bar etc, the only way I could see it a problem is if you tightened it and did not run it and really tightened it down. I tightened mine hot for 30 years so far never been a problem.
Chain heats up way faster than the bar will, and a new chain will stretch way more than a bar will expand/contract. That is a good point, if you dont run it much after tightening you will more be likely to have the chain end up too tight. More often this will be a problem with a new chain, and a person new to chainsaw maintenance, as is the case here it sounds like.

Back