How do you all mark your mixed fuel cans?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mark my cans of mix with "MIX" in stencil. Not for me because I know my own system which is 1 gal blitz cans for mix, 2.5 gal for my wife (more on that in a second), and 5 gal jerry cans for filling the others and emergencies.

my wife never fills up her car's gas tank and grabs whatever can she find in the garage if i dont fill up her gas tank for her. I even stenciled her name on the dedicated 2.5 gal cans so she knows to use those first, before she tries to use the stash in the jerry cans I keep for hurricane season or colonial pipeline ransom schemes.

Like most a Sharpie with MIX
I run everything 40:1 so no need for the ratio.
2.5 gallon can for mix.
I used to use gray duct tape on the handles to denote an alternate fuel . 5 gallon cans with tape are off road diesel.
Thinking about changing that since my son put a gallon or so in his Ford and I spent a day cleaning out his gas tank.

My SIL got me a set of "slip on the nozzle" labels,, enough to mark the needed cans
They look like this

MIXED-RATIO-Gas-Can-ID-Tag-Small.jpg

Someone with a 3D printer could whip these up and look really good!!

Speaking of gas containers. Does anyone make the old plain spout with a little cover on the end? NOT the mechanical complicated crap on these 'spill proof' suckers? Trying to pour from a 'non spill' is guaranteed to spill..... keeps the front of my saws clean, but that's not the idea!

God bless

Speaking of gas containers. Does anyone make the old plain spout with a little cover on the end? NOT the mechanical complicated crap on these 'spill proof' suckers? Trying to pour from a 'non spill' is guaranteed to spill..... keeps the front of my saws clean, but that's not the idea!

God bless
All got EPA pressure or sued out of existence.
https://attorneygroup.com/lawsuits/products-liability/blitz-gas-can-explosion-lawsuits/https://www.ibtimes.com/blitz-usa-shuts-down-lawsuit-abuse-hammers-hometown-734478

God bless
https://ezpourspout.com/
Also available online, at Napa, etc.

Remember, the new spouts are only for older cans, which originally came with non-EPA spouts. The threads on the new cans and the old cans are the same, so presumably someone could put the replacement non-EPA spouts on the new cans, but nobody would ever break the law like that. :innocent:

I use blue masking tape with a sharpie to label my cans. It's not so much to label what kind of fuel is in it, but rather to record the date it was mixed. I'm running a few different fuels and don't always use some of them in a hurry...the date reminds me that they are getting kinda old and I should probably burn them up.

Mixed fuel and straight gas are pretty obvious to differentiate, but I do label them for some unknown reason. I've got a 1.5/1 gallon split gas/oil can that I usually take out cutting, but I've also got 2.5 and 5 gallon cans that can have either mixed or straight gas depending on what I need more.

Don't tell CARB, but my 5 gallon can may or may not be an actual gas can. It may or may not be a "5 gallon utility jug." It was cheap, has a good shape for saving space in the truck, and doesn't have any silly buttons to push.

God bless
Bought spouts with caps at the foco Jax, also caps and gaskets for Jerry cans.

I buy non running outdoor power equipment, fix it and then on sell. As the equipment only sees a maximum of one tank, I just run 50:1 2 stroke in everything.

It makes it easier and I wouldn’t get through enough straight petrol to make it worth having two.

I run motomix through my own chainsaws at 32:1 though.

With the cost of petrol prices, it won’t be long until the old stock that’s still left on the shelves of motomix will be cheaper than pump fuel

I work with groups of volunteers, so markings have to be VERY clear. Even with ‘systems’ (5-gallon is unleaded, 1-gallon is 50:1 mix, yellow is diesel) there is always ‘a new guy’, etc.

I have made labels, stamped brass key tags, etc. Not afraid of redundancy.

On my personal gas cans I have manila shipping tags with ‘UNLEADED’ or ‘50:1’ on one side, and the date the fuel was purchased from the pump, on the other. After 30 days, any plain or mixed gas goes into my car’s fuel tank. Draw a line through the date and start over.

Philbert

God bless
Nah, not a guaranteed spill - sometimes you get an outright spray - not only in all directions, but pre-vaporized for your dying enjoyment.

I know you'd never guess, but I *loathe* those things. They're a menaced designed by idiots.

They do.

God bless
Look up "VP Racing jugs".

Back