How do YOU get your wood out of the woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac 6-10

Steve on O. P. E.
Reaction score
We all praise, dislike, argue, agree, on how to cut wood, what saw works best, what bar/chain combo to use and so on but, we still need to haul it all out. so what do you guys use to get the wood from woods to the stack? I use my 1961 Economy Tractor. It goes anyware and hauls anything! Oh and its been doing it for our family for over 50 years too!

View attachment 283386
View attachment 283387
my dad in 1968
View attachment 283388

We all praise, dislike, argue, agree, on how to cut wood, what saw works best, what bar/chain combo to use and so on but, we still need to haul it all out. so what do you guys use to get the wood from woods to the stack? I use my 1961 Economy Tractor. It goes anyware and hauls anything! Oh and its been doing it for our family for over 50 years too!

View attachment 283386
View attachment 283387
my dad in 1968
View attachment 283388

That's a nice economy! I have a 35 ferguson that was my Paps, then dads, and then mine. Awesome old machine, but I could really use power steering:)

Awesome ole tractor! Pretty cool it's been in the family that long :msp_thumbup:

Here's my wood getter outer...

DSCF0005-2.jpg

0109111052a.jpg

0109111051a.jpg

Awesome ole tractor! Pretty cool it's been in the family that long :msp_thumbup:

Here's my wood getter outer...

DSCF0005-2.jpg

0109111052a.jpg

0109111051a.jpg

Do you ever have any problems with that deere? We had a 450 and had alot of trouble out of it. It had a weak tranny and it blew about 5 heads. Never had any trouble out of the Case we had but maybe the Deere was just a lemon.

I do it one log at a time with the 4 wheeler and a strap. It gets old quick! I've contemplated building a mini log skidder. Square tubing frame with a small axle, set of tires and a manual hand crank hoist/crane. Strap the logs down and off she goes

Log truck and a grapple. Delivered to my driveway.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

I have done it many ways, with my john deere B or my jeep and trailer to using a pickup truck and trailer. I've recently upgraded to a skidsteer/dump truck set up. Can get a lot of fire wood fast.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Do you ever have any problems with that deere? We had a 450 and had alot of trouble out of it. It had a weak tranny and it blew about 5 heads. Never had any trouble out of the Case we had but maybe the Deere was just a lemon.

No big troubles yet, I went thru the finals and steering clutches when I bought it 7 years ago. Other than a starter and a fuel pump, the 3 cylinder keeps on a poppin :msp_thumbup:

I have done it many ways, with my john deere B or my jeep and trailer to using a pickup truck and trailer. I've recently upgraded to a skidsteer/dump truck set up. Can get a lot of fire wood fast.

attachment.php

I love that cordwood saw. Was an option on my Economy Also.

1982 Power King

View attachment 283390

Started out with a wheelbarrow and that wasn't working so well. Neighbor came over one day and said "I have something that you might be able to use." That was the Power King, a small trailer, a mower deck and a sickle bar. Set of new rings installed and a few minor fixes last spring. Oil changes, new fuel line and filter since then and it's been pretty good. Mower deck works fine after spindle bearing replacement; sickle bar connections were jerry-rigged and no way am I messing with that. Main job is hauling saws and tools in and wood out.

View attachment 283390

Started out with a wheelbarrow and that wasn't working so well. Neighbor came over one day and said "I have something that you might be able to use." That was the Power King, a small trailer, a mower deck and a sickle bar. Set of new rings installed and a few minor fixes last spring. Oil changes, new fuel line and filter since then and it's been pretty good. Mower deck works fine after spindle bearing replacement; sickle bar connections were jerry-rigged and no way am I messing with that. Main job is hauling saws and tools in and wood out.

I wish mine was that simple to repair! Mine sat in the weather for 3 years while my grandpa surcomed to lou gerigs disese. after his death i inherated it and there was water in every singe case:bang: complete tractor rebuild later and haven't regreted anything.

Sometimes I'll use the Kioti LK3054 for the loader or to skid, but usually a 12hp WheelHorse 312-8 and a 4-wheel cart.

John Deere 5200 MFWD with a 540 front loader. I modified the tractor to handle the steep terrain on our property. The track width is easily as wide as the wheelbase is long. Running filled 18.4-24 "rice and cane" tires on the rear which have about twice the lug height of a standard R1 tire. Usually have about 1500lbs of suitcase weights hanging off the 3 point, which really helps it keep traction and increases stability going down hill.

Here is the only picture I have on hand right now...dragging a fairly small tree out of the woods. I can't wait for spring. It's just too wet and muddy here.

View attachment 283394

-Phillip

I haven't any pictures but I use a Yanmar US35 (same exact tractor as a JD 990 except red) MFWD with a loader that has a skid steer quick change on it. I took a front plate and forks from a fork lift so I can set the width of the forks and pick up around a grand in weight. It won't pick up logs but I've never found a block it won't handle. I also have a grapple for the front loader but find the forks easier to use for logs and the handle more weight.

Ok, I did find a picture, not very flattering but a picture indeed......

283405d1362770051-tractor1-jpg

283406d1362770052-tractor2-jpg

Last edited:
Usually a tractor, but i don't own one. But i have 3 people within a mile that do the hauling for me. Did use the car trailer a couple of times, but can only fit about a tonne of wood on that and i can't get close on most of our land, mostly hills and crappy "roads". :)

Here's a pic of some cut up tops on the trailer and the neighbors antonio carraro with the 4t winch and a big car trailer, its a small, agile and there's not much it won't do if you know what you're doing. :) If you get stuck just handbrake the trailer, unhook it, drive away and winch it forward. You can get twice the weight of the tractor up some slippery and steep roads that way. :)

View attachment 283403
View attachment 283404

Latest posts

Back