How do YOU get your wood out of the woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e9usu9yr.jpg

9e5a2ury.jpg

aqadysyh.jpg

hysazedy.jpg

8ama8y2y.jpg

WTF??? I have a $1000 pickup, I cut and the wife loads, anything too big for her (she weighs 112), I try, (i weigh 135)... Anything too big for me gets cut a little smaller. Wish I had some of them machines, but we make it work.

WTF??? I have a $1000 pickup, I cut and the wife loads, anything too big for her (she weighs 112), I try, (i weigh 135)... Anything too big for me gets cut a little smaller. Wish I had some of them machines, but we make it work.

Typically where I cut there is no way you can get around with a truck, to right and way to hilly. This is my only option really

Typically where I cut there is no way you can get around with a truck, to right and way to hilly. This is my only option really

We cut and have to carry out manually, no fun... Like i said, I would like som more machines to help.

Right now, the stuff I am cutting came to the road via this. We call it shovel logging.
[video=youtube;_em9GZEXAW4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_em9GZEXAW4&feature=share&list=UU9mFXlXjEJvJoCImQvFXVSg[/video]

Then I back my pickup up to the slash pile, cut and throw. At home, I asked my neighbor, who worked as a production faller to fall a tree and he got it right next to the woodpile.
View attachment 283536

Ha! Similar size nongiant guy here... Get a small trailer with a ramp, much easier to roll or winch the big rounds in.

I haven't always been so well equipped, I used to do it the same way as you. And believe it or not I paid $1000 for that cummins powered Dodge. The manual labor is hard work but I still enjoyed it.

attachment.php

Heres a few action shots of the Jeepskidder. This is out behind my house cleaning up storm damage, I had to drag the logs across a frozen creek then around the edge of my pond annd then up a decent sized hill to get them up to where I split and stacked. It was more fun than work, had to use the skinny pedal quite a bit.:biggrin:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Found another one, slower process but it gets the job done and a little fun too :msp_thumbup:

attachment.php

Heres a few action shots of the Jeepskidder. This is out behind my house cleaning up storm damage, I had to drag the logs across a frozen creek then around the edge of my pond annd then up a decent sized hill to get them up to where I split and stacked. It was more fun than work, had to use the skinny pedal quite a bit.:biggrin:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Me likey skinny pedal............at least you have the right tires on it. Those "Super Swampers" are still some of the best mud tires going.....

My skidder...
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid208.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb24%2Fmud_dog450%2F25c13d52.mp4">

Loading the trailer with the Bobcat. Only had a few days to borrow the Bobcat. It's on my to-buy list.
IMAG0354_zpsd4b6a6a6.jpg

My log mover...
IMAG0359.jpg
I bet there is a Ford somewhere out of view to help that Dodge pull that load

Primarily this, the deutz pickup!

161285d1291886370-dec20_004-jpg

either that tote box I made (I love that thing, just handy dandy for all sorts of work) or a trailer for easier access areas.

My boss has here on the farm all or most of that equipment up in the thread in the various posts, everything except a truck with a knuckleboom loader, but there are (usually multiples) excavators, crawlers, skidsteers, road tractors, log trailer, big dump trucks, big flatbeds, man, tons, theres equipment here I cant even name or tell ya what it does, but I am reluctant to ask to borrow any of that for what is in essence a firewood and chainsaw hobby. He also has a steam engine powered sawmill, but it isnt assembled and I keep bugging him for us to get it going, just for a hoot.

Latest posts

Back