How do YOU get your wood out of the woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to use an old craftsman mower that was pushed well beyond its intended use for 12 years. When it broke I picked up a basket case 1971 Gravely 816 and fixed it up. Sometimes the monkeys in the picture help also.

IMG_5519.jpg

Then I found this and fixed it up a little. It is a 1971 2414 Power King with dual trannys and a front end loader. I liked it so much I had to get more so I sold it to my brother.

IMG_5709.jpg

Now I use this. Kubota BX1500. I keep the mower deck on it to protect the fan blades that cool the rear end. My plan is to fab up a removable skid plate for it this spring. Really helps save the back and is small enough to get around the woods. You can also see my F150 I use to haul the wood once it is out of the woods.

038.jpg

040.jpg

Some trails made in the wood lot to get to downed trees. Mostly red oak, some white and I think a Hickory tree was pulled out of here also.

048.jpg

You can see the piles of underbrush the little BX pushed out of the way.

046.jpg

More downed trees on the 10 or so acres.

045.jpg

Sometimes I use the 84 CJ7 with the 9K winch on the front, but not to often.

IMG_1886BigDogs.jpg

Hey bleoh: I like your woodlot. Wish I had a couple of youngins' to help me with mine. I've got some brush piles in mine I need to burn before the ticks come out. Got lots of brush down that needs piling too.

I used to use an old craftsman mower that was pushed well beyond its intended use for 12 years. When it broke I picked up a basket case 1971 Gravely 816 and fixed it up. Sometimes the monkeys in the picture help also.

IMG_5519.jpg

Little Gravely tractors are pretty stout. We had a Power King around growing up and I personally feel the Gravely will out pull them. The Kubota though is a deff. advantage. Nice set up!

The Gravely is tough. Came with a 50" shaft driven mowing deck, snow/dirt plow for the front and a shaft driven snow blower up front (all in fairly rough shape, worst was the blower) and hydraulics for lifting all implements. It pulls real well but can get light in the front, hence the weights.

I think the Power King, with dual trannys (real low gearing), extra weight of the FEL and the huge rear wheel weights (tires are not loaded, but I think we will fill them with RV antifreeze soon) would out pull the Gravely by a little bit. They are both hard workers for sure. The Onan on the Gravely feels stronger and smoother then the big block kohler in the PK.

The helper in the red shirt gets into it. He really took to the Fiskars X27 and tries to out do the gas splitter. The other one is in full teenager mode and helping with wood is like being on the chain gang for him. He is very responsible though and gets to operate the Kubota pulling rounds out of the woods to where we process them. We usually split there, but if we are short on time or trying to beat the weather, we will just cut rounds and bring them home. The lot is a family friends and in the middle of suburban house farms so we don't leave anything behind.

Here is what the gravely looked like when I picked it up.

IMG_4678.jpg

Here is the snow blower and plow. I swear they are in there!!

IMG_4690.jpg

The Gravely is tough. Came with a 50" shaft driven mowing deck, snow/dirt plow for the front and a shaft driven snow blower up front (all in fairly rough shape, worst was the blower) and hydraulics for lifting all implements. It pulls real well but can get light in the front, hence the weights.

I think the Power King, with dual trannys (real low gearing), extra weight of the FEL and the huge rear wheel weights (tires are not loaded, but I think we will fill them with RV antifreeze soon) would out pull the Gravely by a little bit. They are both hard workers for sure. The Onan on the Gravely feels stronger and smoother then the big block kohler in the PK.

The helper in the red shirt gets into it. He really took to the Fiskars X27 and tries to out do the gas splitter. The other one is in full teenager mode and helping with wood is like being on the chain gang for him. He is very responsible though and gets to operate the Kubota pulling rounds out of the woods to where we process them. We usually split there, but if we are short on time or trying to beat the weather, we will just cut rounds and bring them home. The lot is a family friends and in the middle of suburban house farms so we don't leave anything behind.

Here is what the gravely looked like when I picked it up.

IMG_4678.jpg

Here is the snow blower and plow. I swear they are in there!!

IMG_4690.jpg

You had a thread on them on MTF didn't you?

Nice looking solid unit you started with. Good condition bottom lube 50" there and a straight seat pan and complete lift hitch. I'm embarrassed to show pictures of my 816.. but it did come from the Gravely Yard in MD....in his scrap pile.

The PK's are nice tractors and with enough extra weight they can go. We never had enough weight on ours and it would spin the tires in a hurry. The Onan CCKA power will kill the K series Kohlers all day long; don't believe the 16hp rating they were given.

nice job on the gravely. I agree that the onan is twice the engine of a k series kohler. but a Wisconsin is twice the engine of an onan!:hmm3grin2orange:

Is this turning into a Kubota thread?

I use:
Big Tex 20' pipe trailer
2WD '94 Cummins Dodge to tow over the road
Kubota L4300 w/loader to tow and load chunks at cut site
Kubota MX5000 w/loader to unload chunks for processing at home

Only thing I regret about the tractors is that I didn't get models that have skid-steer quick change buckets. These were purchased prior to Kubota adding that feature. The tractors have other duties over the warm months; firewood keeps them occupied while waiting for Spring.

A lot of my wood has come from local farmers taking out hedgerows.

Sorry, no pix. The Canon Powershot has gone missing.

Last edited:
I have done it many ways, with my john deere B or my jeep and trailer to using a pickup truck and trailer. I've recently upgraded to a skidsteer/dump truck set up. Can get a lot of fire wood fast.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Awesome! Tell me...what is that saw type blade on the front of the tractor?:msp_confused:

andy thinks he is mad max and mounts big saw blades too his stuff :hmm3grin2orange:

We generally use trucks as we cut just dead tree's on the farm, trailers if we cut off the farm but we don't do that very often.

The last one is my 88 Ford from today with it's new permanent stakes, so to the top it's 8X5X4 ft, just a little wood on there.

Here's a few of em over the years as they tend to die a slow, over worked death for some odd reason.... but it's been mosty cut with the same Stihl 034/036....wonder if we can talk them into making trucks....

I know it is Mickey Mouse but I love my old Bolens. Kinda matches my old Poulans.

P1010918.jpg

P1010885.jpg

Thanks Rudy. It is so handy I sold my grey fergie. Looking at a 20HP Kubota with 4wd and fel at present but not sure it is what I need.

Thanks Rudy. It is so handy I sold my grey fergie. Looking at a 20HP Kubota with 4wd and fel at present but not sure it is what I need.

I'm not sure what the Bolens is but I would definitely recommend hydrostatic on the kubota, very handy for loader work.

Latest posts

Back