How do you support your CAD Habbit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Do most of you guys trade or sell saws you've fixed to raise $ for new acquisitions? I have some older saws that I picked up to play with, but I don't think they would sell for much even if they were working. I probably have all the saws I NEED, and it's hard to justify spending money on CL saws just to fix up. If money wasn't tight, then it wouldn't really be an issue. :hmm3grin2orange:

Any extra 'play' money I get is from selling crap. And by that I mean really.....crap. Anything I can find lying around the house goes on fleabay. Cruising the neighborhood for scrap metal helps too. We spend alotta money on toys and clothes for the kids - they grow out of everything in a matter of months, then all that stuff goes up for auction too.

i personally work the corner in town for 25 cents per pop:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

i personally work the corner in town for 25 cents per pop:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

As long as you look like your new avatar you should be making a fortune. :msp_w00t: Now if you resemble some of those older avatars...

I'm way too slow to try fixing clunkers to sell and honestly have no interest in that part of this hobby. I occasionally sell saws or other stuff, but for me it is not self-funding. I have a side job in the summer that keeps me in CAD money or when the boss notices that I've been making "that face" for a few weeks and let's me ring up the register, lol.

Good ole fashioned hard work! I'm lucky in sense, I can write my saws off as a business expense.

Work for me as well...though it doesn't hurt that they provide me with gratis housing and utilities. I haven't gotten to the point where I could buy a saw...put time into fixing it...and then sell it. Not there yet...but someday.

Extra money I make from overtime, selling stuff no longer needed on ebay,etc funds my hobbies. I can be picky about what I purchase and purchase for keeps. Not to fix and sell. I do want to get into porting and modding to make some extra money.

Cash, only cash. So wife cannot find out. I have off-site storage too. She doesn't know where the key to that padlock is for a reason.

Been looking off and on for a year now and I have yet to find a decent deal on used saws. If it has the word Stihl or Husqvarna on it everyone thinks it is worth 75-80% of NOS prices with a million hours of use. Then you get into the home owner grade and Joe sixpack paid $129.99 and wants $100 because it has a case and POS spare chain don't you know.

Dealer won't give up the junkers that I know they have. I can buy the one's they put back together for 45-50% off retail but the fun part is already done.

So for now it is all keepers out of the heating budget:smile2:

I don't really. I get a saw when I need a different one for whatever. The fact that we've had zero heating bills for almost 40 yr. sort of "pays" for the saws and related equipment.

My wife could not care less whether I decide to get another saw. I am quite fortunate in that respect. However, I only buy a saw when I need another.

Been looking off and on for a year now and I have yet to find a decent deal on used saws. If it has the word Stihl or Husqvarna on it everyone thinks it is worth 75-80% of NOS prices with a million hours of use. Then you get into the home owner grade and Joe sixpack paid $129.99 and wants $100 because it has a case and POS spare chain don't you know.

Dealer won't give up the junkers that I know they have. I can buy the one's they put back together for 45-50% off retail but the fun part is already done.

I've noticed that too. Anything that doesn't need serious work is $$. I'm not really interested in the walmart specials either. The "vintage" saws I picked up were mostly to learn on without possibly damaging my firewood saws :smile2:. Maybe I can get enough out of them to pay for a MS180 that I've been eying for awhile. They are really light and would work pretty well for cutting smaller stuff to length, and limbing.

Sounds like you have fallen victim to the same old stereotypes as many others. There are plenty of flavors of good saw that do not say Stihl or Husqvarna on the side. CAD means different things to different folks. For me it is just tinkering with something mechanical. Some folks don't want to bother unless they're putting a set of 11 point titanium dual roller dawgs on their ported 460. For me there is little more rewarding than seeing that first blue spark when I have just sorted out a set of points, and roll it over by hand. Yes, points will spark that slow if they're adjusted properly. CAD does not take alot of money, and some can be made at it if you are careful. I suggest you guys go salvage a -10 MAC, 306 Poulan, or Homelite XL-12. They are fun to run when you're not trying to make money, and you'd be surprised how much wood they'll put on the ground at the end of the day (nevermind the numb hands...)

If you're looking for CAD $, you make your $ when you buy the saw, not when you sell it. Buy smart, or sell for parts.

What the Saw DR said plus you got to spend a bunch of money and time at the saw shops, if you want to see the Holly Grail pile o junkers out back. It takes time but they do open up if you go in often enough and buy something.

That being said I still haven't seen what is out back Of Thalls. :hmm3grin2orange:

I buy low and sell high and share some of the spoils with my AS brothers, and waste alot of my time in the shop.

Addiction? Problem? I don't have a problem! Really, I don't! Well, maybe a small one....:dizzy:

The one that I have sold to date was at cost to a buddy, so no money made, but none lost either and it funded the next one so it's all good. Wifey likes to be warm so she is ok with saw goodies.....

Back