How in the world am I supposed to get this off?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listen guys, those who have used impact tools before and never had any ill effects will generally continue to do so and that is fine. This kind of situation is one of those life lessons that is generally learned AFTER something happens that costs you more money than it should have. Have I ever used an impact to get a clutch or flywheel off? Yes! Sometimes you just come to the point where you understand that you may have to mess something up to get to the point that you want to be at.

Life is all about limiting risk. If you have two options in any scenario, chances are one choice carries more risk than the other. I have had good luck learning in my later years that choosing the option with less risk gerneally pays off better in the end, even though it may be more time consuming and more frustrating at first.

The other thing to consider is that others may look at this thread at a later date. While you will usually be ok to use an impact tool with the top end together, please do not ever use one with the jug off!

I would dare to wager that 99% of piston failure due to an impact gun removing a clutch happens with the jug removed and someone lays a screwdriver between the case and skirt and starts hammering away
More than likely so. But it has happened with a top end intact. Like I explained, all a balance of risk.

TT, I guess I'm kinda confused too. Not to discount your experience or information, but I don't really understand what movement from using an impact on the clutch would cause piston skirts to break. I know you're saying that it's the rocking back and forth that would do it, but if the piston is held secure in the cylinder, and you're only moving the crank a small amount with the torquing, then how would the skirts get damaged?
Lets go about this from a different side. Can you ever think of a time where a shock load is ever beneficial to a engine, motor, gear box, or transmission? Obviously I shouldnt have to point out other than the engine firing the way it was designed and engineered to do.

instead of a stop just use the speed of the gun and compression heard of it many times. it works I have been known to put a little two stroke oil down the spark plug hole for a little extra seal.

I
Lets go about this from a different side. Can you ever think of a time where a shock load is ever beneficial to a engine, motor, gear box, or transmission? Obviously I shouldnt have to point out other than the engine firing the way it was designed and engineered to do.

The crank shaft has to cope with larger forces when cutting or when the chain brake gets activated at higher rpms... those forces originate from the very same source (clutch end of crank shaft) and do not work against compression but combustion (as well a as the rotating flywheel)!!

I

The crank shaft has to cope with larger forces when cutting or when the chain brake gets activated at higher rpms... those forces originate from the very same source (clutch end of crank shaft) and do not work against compression but combustion (as well a as the rotating flywheel)!!
Yes, but not the same force. When combustion occurs, it creates a very large pressure pushing straight down on the piston. The entire engine is designed to take this exact force. It is one fluid, constant,and contnuous motion. A rattle gun is many sharp hits and releases without any opposing force which can allow the piston to rock back and forth quickly and violently in the jug. Remember, the clearances are just a few thousandths of an inch.

By all means, if you feel comfortable doing it your way, I am not trying to change your mind. I'm simply advising the OP on the process I use and the reasoning behind it.

Yes, but not the same force. When combustion occurs, it creates a very large pressure pushing straight down on the piston. The entire engine is designed to take this exact force. It is one fluid, constant,and contnuous motion. A rattle gun is many sharp hits and releases without any opposing force which can allow the piston to rock back and forth quickly and violently in the jug. Remember, the clearances are just a few thousandths of an inch.

By all means, if you feel comfortable doing it your way, I am not trying to change your mind. I'm simply advising the OP on the process I use and the reasoning behind it.
Well, Husqvarna clutches on the 346 and other saws in that lineup were designed to be knocked of using a screwdriver and a hammer... besides force spikes caused by knocking force also is applied to the crankshaft at an angle. I have seen a number of knocked off shaft ends
IMG_4577_zps65d1c886.jpg

... but I have never seen damage caused by a suitable impact driver

I use a rope down the spark plug hole. I've heard of piston stops bustin' a hole in the top of the piston. I use a breaker bar with a spark plug deep socket that has thirds of it cut away to make a three pronged clutch removal tool. Then I have at it with a 1/2 drive breaker bar.

Back