How in the world am I supposed to get this off?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can bust a crank too...

I just did one that needed a breaker bar....the impact wouldn't do it. ...it came eventually
You can. Either way can destroy a crank. I've just seen the impact result in failures more times than a bar with strong, steady, and even pressure.

There is impact, and there is impact...
Don't use the kind of impact wrench you loosen/lighten your car's wheel nuts with.
A regular electric impact driver with variable torque control (trigger action) will work best.

[edit] should have been "impact driver"...

There is impact, and there is impact...
Don't use the kind of impact wrench you loosen/lighten your car's wheel nuts with.
A regular electric impact drill with variable torque control (trigger action) will work best.
And there in is the problem. One person sees this post and uses his 3/8 Craftsman impact and another fires up his 80 gallon compressor at 175 psi and breaks out his Nascar approved thunder gun! :)

I would love to have a nitro charged NASCAR impact that puts out 1,000 lbs of torque at 15,000 rpm:rock: unfortunately they are only sold to race teams for $1500

Will direct applied heat damage the crank at all?

Depends on the "heat" source

Heat gun...no
Oxy/act torch...maybe.

Kroil works well for rusted stuff. Equal parts diesel/atf/acetone works great too. I've had good luck with dewalt Impact battery operated 18v guns . Never used rope. Your mileage may vary.

Will direct applied heat damage the crank at all?
I use a cheap (Chinese) electric heat gun - first at 180 degrees C, and if that is not enough at 300 degrees C. Only the center portion of the clutch (the part threaded onto the crank shaft) needs to be heated - repeated expansion/contraction will eventually loosen the threads.
Anything hotter might damage non-metal parts behind the clutch (drum)...

fearofpavement advised a 3/8" butterfly style impact. There is a very specific reason for this. Lots and lots of little impacts vs heavy torquing or major impacts that can cause irreversible damage. The 3/8" Butter fly impact is special in that forward and revers are instantaneous. If a 3/8 butterfly impact is to break a crank, skirt or maul bearings they were doomed from the start.
The nut is seized and rocking it back and forth breaks it free in tiny increments. Breaking it free back and forth allows all the stuck rust, corrosion or bonded particles some place to go besides one direction usually causing further resistance. Penetrating oil and (some) heat can help this process as well. It also allows any lubricant to work its way into the threads.

fearofpavement advised a 3/8" butterfly style impact. There is a very specific reason for this. Lots and lots of little impacts vs heavy torquing or major impacts that can cause irreversible damage. The 3/8" Butter fly impact is special in that forward and revers are instantaneous. If a 3/8 butterfly impact is to break a crank, skirt or maul bearings they were doomed from the start.
The nut is seized and rocking it back and forth breaks it free in tiny increments. Breaking it free back and forth allows all the stuck rust, corrosion or bonded particles some place to go besides one direction usually causing further resistance. Penetrating oil and (some) heat can help this process as well. It also allows any lubricant to work its way into the threads.
Rocking back and forth quickly like that is exactly what will damage a piston skirt.

TT, I guess I'm kinda confused too. Not to discount your experience or information, but I don't really understand what movement from using an impact on the clutch would cause piston skirts to break. I know you're saying that it's the rocking back and forth that would do it, but if the piston is held secure in the cylinder, and you're only moving the crank a small amount with the torquing, then how would the skirts get damaged?

If your clutch bearing goes bad just put that puppy in the mail to me and don't take the chance of ruining the whole saw with that nasty impact driver. I will properly dispose of that oil leaking, environment destroying machine for you. :popcorn2:

Latest posts

Back