How Long Does a File Last You?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickochet

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got Bailey's latest sale flyer and they have chain files on sale. They have PFERD for $10.99 and Woodland Pro for $9.99 per dozen. I thought, "Wow, that is a good deal!" Then I thought, "Heck that would last me a few lifetimes as it seems like one file lasts forever." I mainly use the 7/32" round and file every other tank of fuel with a few strokes. I cut about 5 or 6 cords of mixed hardwoods each year.

I have at least 2 Oregon files that have lasted a LONG, LONG time. I place pressure only on the forward stroke, while slightly lifting on the return stroke. I typically use a file card to clean the file teeth at the end of the day.

How about you???? How long does a file last for you? And which brand do you prefer?

Thanks & cut safely!

I don't think they last me nowhere near that long. As soon as they start glinding across the teeth instead of cutting I put them in the dull box. I probably only get 10 sharpening per file. Less than that if it's rocked or beat up chain. Save edge seems to be the best round files. Double bevel files I'm not sure. It seems to be hit and miss on quality. Sometimes the save edge last better than the viiala from madsens. They look to be the same swiss blanks before sharpening.

Are you joking? i can get through 4 files a week... :dizzy: they're oregon and i think they're rubbish!

I just got Bailey's latest sale flyer and they have chain files on sale. They have PFERD for $10.99 and Woodland Pro for $9.99 per dozen. I thought, "Wow, that is a good deal!" Then I thought, "Heck that would last me a few lifetimes as it seems like one file lasts forever." I mainly use the 7/32" round and file every other tank of fuel with a few strokes. I cut about 5 or 6 cords of mixed hardwoods each year.

I have at least 2 Oregon files that have lasted a LONG, LONG time. I place pressure only on the forward stroke, while slightly lifting on the return stroke. I typically use a file card to clean the file teeth at the end of the day.

How about you???? How long does a file last for you? And which brand do you prefer?

Thanks & cut safely!
You know what you are doing! Most guys dont even own a card! Files really dont dull all that quickly,they fill with metal shavings,which the card removes. Keep doing what you do and your files will last a long time!

I have both oregon and woodland pro, and I must be doing something wrong cause mine have lasted me a good while.
I did buy the Pfred bastard files and they keep all my bastards nice and sharp.:D

I usually file 20" full-comp Stihl chains with 13/64 or 7/8" Stihl round files. I haven't kept track lately, but it's definitely less than ten complete chain filings. I do recall that many files lasted for only five complete filings.

Good Thread!!

I also wondered the same thing... I try to keep my file cleaned out just by tapping the file on my work bench every other tooth.

Chris

I use them til they have lost their edge. I clean them with a file card also but just like the chain they are being used on they still get lose their edge.

Years ago, the local farm store carried (Skodco, I think?) files from Sweden at a very good price. I liked them because they did last very well. Now they have overpriced Nicholson ($3 each on a blister card) or Oregon ($3 for 2) on a card. Bad thing is I don't really think the Nicholson's are any better than the Oregon.

Oregon from the farm stores are convenient, but seem to run hot and cold...sometimes they "shine up" quickly, sometimes they hold out longer: they have probably have had more than one supplier and some of them were sloppy on heat-treat and quality control. Last time I bought a box at the chainsaw store: ($25, branded Oregon, but different than the blister card ones). So far so good.

Moral? Oregon has, or at least had a "pro" line and a box-store line. Buy the good ones.

I don't really keep track of how many sharpenings I get; its more like "danm! Im out already?"

My Oregon files are pretty decent. The Save Edge files I now use are great. My problem is, i have a large quantity of those three pack Stihl files. I'd buy a few every time i was at the True Value store. 5/32,3/16,13/64, i got a bunch. The Stihl files are less aggressive than the other two, Oregon and Save Edge. I do have a bunch of Stihl 7/32 files i bought from a farm and ranch Stihl dealer and these are much more aggressive than the other Stihl sizes i own. All Stihl files are in the three pack configuration but the 7/32 ones looks like older packaging. As stated many times just about all files come from less than half a dozen manuf.'s. Save Edge files do live up to there hype. REJ2

There are several "file" threads out there so do a little searching and find some good reading.

There are a few guys out there who say the use a file for one chain then toss it, others use one for a year. I am somewhere in between those extremes.

I can tell you that if you use the Carlton File-O-Plate and press too hard against the plate you can dull a file in a very short time.

One thing is true no matter what, how you break a file in will have a significant impact on how well it cuts and how long it lasts. Think about a freshly sharpened pencil, go too hard at first and you will break the point but start out easy and the point will hold up for a good long while.

Mark

Brand really doesnt matter to me. But, i do have a 5 gal bucket of used ones in the shop. Some last longer than others i guess.

Which brings me to question..... What does one do with a 5 gallon bucket full of dull files? Darts, mumbley peg, scrap price or......

Pack rat. I never throw anything out. Might find a use one of these days. Or the scrap yard aint a bad idea.:D

How do you guys clean your files, I have several that don't appear to be cutting good and seem to think they are just dirty. I don't have any special file cleaning stuff around and usually just wipe with a rag but started thinking this may be a bad idea.

for me carlton chains eat files away fast, i may be able to sharpen at the most two or three carlton chains before the starts to skate in the cut.

Latest posts

Back