How long does it take you to split a cord....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several days. My back gets sore and I need to have whine breaks. The Used Dog insists that I must stop and throw a ball for him. After a few chunks are split, my brain signals "This is not fun" alert and I go find something else to do-- like soak in the hot tub.

When you are retired it doesn't matter how long it takes. We also call "Union Break!" whenever we want - sometimes these "breaks" happen more than twice an hour. Interesting how the 'help' can sometimes wander off during the breaks though. :)

Shari

Never counted the pieces. I use 18-20" logs. The good stuff I can split faster with my maul than I can with the splitter. Down side is that I am burned out after one cord. It is Miller time after that.

I probably was exaggerating a little, but not too far off.

Incredible!!! I can only hope to move enough wood someday to justify one of those psi machines. Time is money they say, so if you don't have money to spend, you better plan on spending time!

I make 20% more splits on 16-inch pieces than 20", and I tend to split half of them a little thinner, plus work by myself. Even though, I couldn't dream of coming close to that processing time.

2 hours plus

Two hours minimum per cord when working by myself. It depends lergely on how miserable the round stock is to split. If I could get another guy to roll the rounds to me while I operate the splitter, it would knock a half hour off. Somehow, these "helpers" tend to make themselves scarce.

Now add at least another hour to neatly stack a full cord of logs from a thrown pile. The helpers usually move even further away as the stacking process begins. ;)

Two hours minimum per cord when working by myself. It depends lergely on how miserable the round stock is to split. If I could get another guy to roll the rounds to me while I operate the splitter, it would knock a half hour off. Somehow, these "helpers" tend to make themselves scarce.

Now add at least another hour to neatly stack a full cord of logs from a thrown pile. The helpers usually move even further away as the stacking process begins. ;)

thats about what i am running, maybe a little longer. i get to use my boys for stacking when they get in trouble. they grumble but actaully seem to enjoy it after a bit. it helps they are competative:greenchainsaw:

o yea, running a 27 ton troy built with the wood feeding off the back of my trailer or pickup.

The Used Dog insists that I must stop and throw a ball for him.

Haha - similar problem except mine isn't "used".

With a hydraulic splitter it take me 1.5hrs to split a cord. That's hustling but not killing myself. I keep up that pace easily and can put in a good 4 hour day before my shoulders start feeling it. This is with rounds no bigger than say 20".

With a hydraulic splitter it take me 1.5hrs to split a cord.

OK - revising my BS statement. I know it took me about 12 hours for this pile and I did that in one week. The total was right around 5 cords. So that's 2.5hrs/ cord. That's on the slow side as I did this all in one week when I borrowing a friend's splitter. My shoulder's were toast after the second day. Also, I had to do a lot vertical which adds time IMO.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=2210820&postcount=1

When you are retired it doesn't matter how long it takes. We also call "Union Break!" whenever we want - sometimes these "breaks" happen more than twice an hour. Interesting how the 'help' can sometimes wander off during the breaks though. :)

Shari

Shari, You must be talking to my wife again. I stop for 5 min, she tells everyone she knows and they post little hits on the net. :bang:

Without reading all the posts I'll leave one..

Gas powered TroyBilt 27Ton. 4Way Wedge. Just myself. Under 90 degrees( :) )...No break. Continous split, pick up, split. 45-60 Minutes 1 cord. Another 45 to stack.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ijxQUS8pBR8&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ijxQUS8pBR8&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

I like the concept anyone got any idea on the pricing without filling out a bunch of forms for a salesman to bug me about something I probably cant afford.

It usually takes me about 3-3.5 hours to split a cord by hand with a 6 pound maul. Granted I'm splitting straight-grained Red Fir but still.

if i use hydraulic splitter and rounds are next to it already, maybe 1.5 hours max.
if i use a fiskars SS and the noodling is already done, probably even faster, but more tired after of course

I like the concept anyone got any idea on the pricing without filling out a bunch of forms for a salesman to bug me about something I probably cant afford.

I was afraid to call too......

my guess is $15-$20 grand

Last edited:
My wife and I split some already cut ash the other day and did roughly 6 cords in 7 hours I think if I modify my splitter with an adjustable 4 way I could definately shave some time off

OMG that was not a cord. Not even a face cord!! lmao.. they measured the Logs 4x4x16"...I bet you when they stack that pile it will be half a cord...But still, cant complain about that speed. Gees.

OMG that was not a cord. Not even a face cord!! lmao.. they measured the Logs 4x4x16"...I bet you when they stack that pile it will be half a cord...But still, cant complain about that speed. Gees.

They said on the video that it was only a face cord.

I saw the tape measure & it looked like 4x8 (or NEARLY 4x8) I DO think the 4' high measurement was only part of the stack.

Either way, they were doing the work of two log splitters, not one... makes a huge difference.

AND they had it all stacked right there nice and neat - most of the piles I deal with are a jumbled stack and very often frozen together/to the ground. Those guys were 'humpin' it', too... I don't think I could keep that kind of pace for more than 10 minutes. So I guess a partner & I could get through 7/8ths of a cord? :laugh:

4'x8'x16"

1/3 cord. And splits stack tighter than rounds, so less yet.

Still a very impressive splitter!

Back