How long does it take you to split a cord....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one a good day with enough mountain dew and beef jerky in me I can do a cord in about 2.5 to 3 hrs. Thats by hand with a maul. If I get a few bastard pieces it might take 3.5. A few years back my dad and I had a little contest me VS his splitter. after 2 hours I had 18 more pieces of wood than he did.

Jeff

Mountain dew and beef jerky....this dudes got it down!

Now you're splitting..!!!!!

Heck No Time at all!!

I just merely fire up the Timberwolf and that sweet sound of the Honda powerplant brings all the Wood Gnomes out of the woodlot. Those little guys get the work done in no time!!!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

HOWEVER if they're on vacation and I have to do it - - it takes about 3 hours working by myself and splitting smaller fireplace sized splits.

Al

Working alone with my splitter with 11 second cycle time, a few minutes either side of 3 hours for a cord of oak.:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Oh and by the way some of y'all are fast MoFo's splitting a cord.

Wow you guys are fast.. It takes my wife days and days, and all she does is complain and complain..I guess I'll have to get on her case.. :monkey:

Wow you guys are fast.. It takes my wife days and days, and all she does is complain and complain..I guess I'll have to get on her case.. :monkey:

That sort of reminds me of this old story......

One Saturday afternoon, a man was sitting in his lawn chair drinking beer and watching his wife mow the lawn. A neighbor lady was so outraged at this, she came over and shouted at the man, "You should be hung for letting her cut the grass!" To which he calmly replied, "I am. That's why she cuts the grass!"

One Saturday afternoon, a man was sitting in his lawn chair drinking beer and watching his wife mow the lawn. A neighbor lady was so outraged at this, she came over and shouted at the man, "You should be hung for letting her cut the grass!" To which he calmly replied, "I am. That's why she cuts the grass!"
:clap:

:clap: HAAHHA.. nice one.. :cheers:

Try Dry Elm Crotch

I may have to change my estimate. I was splitting along like a songbird yesterday with burr oak, walnut, and hackerry, all green. The hackberry was a little tough, but she went right through it in the second stage.

Then I ran into some dry elm crotch, about 12" across, each forked branch about 10" apiece. That piece alone took 15 minutes to pulverize. I should have either sawed it in half or fed it to the woodpeckers. :bang:

I know this is a month old almost but oh well. I have a custom built 22hp splitter and it takes longer to load the thing than it does to split the wood. I have taught the wife to use it though and therefor takes me no time at all. I just go to work and come home and its split. good wife I must say. Id say an 1.5-2.5 a cord if your haulin butt to get each round. and its not to knotty.:chainsawguy:

Working alone with my splitter with 11 second cycle time, a few minutes either side of 3 hours for a cord of oak.:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Oh and by the way some of y'all are fast MoFo's splitting a cord.

No way...with an 11 cycle time splitter?? Evena single wedge I'd be done with a cord at least 1.5 hours.

My splitter is like 16 seconds (lol) and I can do a cord in 120 minutes..With my 4way wedge I do it in 70 minutes. Lift, pull, push, lift pull push...no stopping. I didnt realize my pace until someone pointed it out after I was done...He said "your motion was 1" meaning my body always moved and never stood still for more than 1 minute.

ok if I max the motor out it is 6.5 seconds complete stroke 24 in single wedge I run it at im guessing a 10- 11 sec complete cycle. I don't do the complete cycle as most don't when splitting Im 32 and and this kid is 25. I can do a cord of oak in approx 1.5-2 hr if its close to splitter. Full sun 90 degrees. This kid 6 hrs close to splitter with and umbrella and 85 degrees with partial sun and a nice breeze splitting maple and ash ( it pops like nothing for the most part) Good god they dont make them like they used to and Im not talking about the splitter. Yea he is done working for me

ok if I max the motor out it is 6.5 seconds complete stroke 24 in single wedge I run it at im guessing a 10- 11 sec complete cycle. I don't do the complete cycle as most don't when splitting Im 32 and and this kid is 25. I can do a cord of oak in approx 1.5-2 hr if its close to splitter. Full sun 90 degrees. This kid 6 hrs close to splitter with and umbrella and 85 degrees with partial sun and a nice breeze splitting maple and ash ( it pops like nothing for the most part) Good god they dont make them like they used to and Im not talking about the splitter. Yea he is done working for me

Six hours with a gas splitter to do one cord is pathetic deluxe! I bet most guys here could beat that with an axe/maul.

Six hours with a gas splitter to do one cord is pathetic deluxe! I bet most guys here could beat that with an axe/maul.
Yea i know. the rounds are right there for him and o yea i forgot the stuff is 2.5 to 3 years old ( maple and ash) so it is not as heavey as fresh cut to be split. 6 to 18 in rounds. my splitter and gas too. oh and a conveyer to no tossing the splits far either.

pathetic deluxe LOL

What should one pay per cord/ hr in the scenario i described? I pay cash under the table as many do so...

1.5 cord in ~ 2 hours with a splitter and a belt taking it away 8 seconds full in and out on a 5" 30" ram

Mostly blue gum I really need a lifter that stuff is heavy

I've read it all...the next thing we will be having is timed splitting trials...grab your popcorn folks, come watch the action!

I didn't think splitting was a race?

With rounds stacked in a row right next to the hydraulic splitter I can do a cord an hour. If they are piled rather than stacked, figure an hour and a half. I do move at a pretty fast pace though, it's not something that I could do day in and day out. Did 10 cords in a day once and couldn't walk so well the next day....

Now that I hand split everything, it's a bit slower but still move right along. With the splits laid out, and splitting them large for my indoor boiler I can do about a cord every 90 minutes. Figure a little longer for fireplace sized splits.

Did a scrounge load of 1.25 cords of aspen in just over 4 hours on Sunday. This included bucking, splitting, and loading the splits into the trailer.

I guess it all depends on the size of the rounds. It takes me at least 1/2 day to get a cord split and that's if I'm lucky. But, each piece that I'm moving to the splitter is 100# or more, and 2 rounds fill up the bucket on the tractor, so that gets dumped in the shed where they need to be stacked. I can't see throwing them on the ground just to be picked up again and moved to the shed.

It'd go a heck of a lot faster if the rounds were 10"-16" dia. Smallest round is about 18" dia. and some are over 40" dia.

Latest posts

Back