How long does it take you to split a cord....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It takes me about 2 hours to split and stack a cord of red pine by myself. I have an OWB so my splits are relatively large.

the best so far has been 22 minutes per cord sawed split and loaded on truck.
care to guess how much in truck loose vs stacked?

loose load in 44 minutes , 2 people
stacked load 1hr 8 minutes 3 people

That there setup is full bore cheatin! HAHAHAHA!

Man, you can knock it out with that.

With my Hud-son processor, my dad and I can cut and split a full cord of tree length ash in a little less than in hour. That's also loaded in the dump trailer.

I think two men working at a reasonable pace could split and stack that in 2-3 hours. All really depends on size and quality of the wood. If it was a cord of Elm and the splitter had to virtually force its way thru 100% of the cylinder stroke. . Differnt story.

Seems like everybody has their own interpretation of a stacked cord of wood. In the old days around here, we had to have a stack 4 foot wide x 4 foot high x 8 foot long before it was called a cord of firewood.

Seems like everybody has their own interpretation of a stacked cord of wood. In the old days around here, we had to have a stack 4 foot wide x 4 foot high x 8 foot long before it was called a cord of firewood.
Thats exactly what a cord of wood is 4'x4'x8'... I only call it a cord if its in 8ft logs. The whole face cord envolves cutting and stacking and settling of the wood and the rounds are cut to 16"s.

Never timed myself but with a log hook, Timberwolf TW-2HD w/ hydraulic lift I am thinking 2+ hours for a full face cord. My rounds are 20-22 inches long and I am hustling.

Lets see, 12-16in dia Apple, on trailer, unloaded, split and stacked in 15min. 5guys, homemade splitter, 5in cyl, 25hp engine, 28gpm 2 stage pump, 6way hyd adjustable wedge. wedge. Could of done more but they couldnt keep up with the splitter. And I never broke a sweat.

All I know is, I am down to the gnarliest mambos I had with my around 60 foot long pile of oak I have been splitting. I am *this close* to noodle party time. That sledge and maul action is slow. And my hands hurt....yes I want some cheese with my whine....

But then I have an excuse to go cutting and haul back more! Been waiting until I process what I had first.

Okay. I'm new to splitting firewood, and I'm curious to find out how long it takes others to split a cord. Let's say the wood is oak in the round approximately 12-16" in length.

Please state your method (gas splitter, wood maul, etc.) and how long it would take in hours.

cheers
You have to see the size these fellows are talking about when they talk about there speed in time. I talked to the lady in Perryville she has a $80.000.00 dollar processer. She said they can do a cord an hour. Just her and her son. She have a big operation something most firewood people dream about.

Okay. I'm new to splitting firewood, and I'm curious to find out how long it takes others to split a cord. Let's say the wood is oak in the round approximately 12-16" in length.

Please state your method (gas splitter, wood maul, etc.) and how long it would take in hours.

cheers
I only do bundled firewood I started a 10:00 at 15:00 I had split a rank bundled it into a 100 bundles. It was 98 deg. So I took breaks regular. I split the big stuff with my three point tractor splitter so I can get it down to my size then I take them inside to my 20 ton electric splitter. That's cleaning up my mess to and putting every thing a way. I thought about speed one time that lasted about 2 seconds. A rank a day at $2.50 a bundle whole sale gross me $250.00 a rank. I don't need speed. My wife said I need a processer I said no I am just fine out here in my shack.

Latest posts

Back