How long does it take you to split a cord....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4'x8'x16"

1/3 cord. And splits stack tighter than rounds, so less yet.

Still a very impressive splitter!

Not to be contrary but I've found splits stack less tightly than rounds. Someone had a thread on that a while back actually....

I split 3 cords of elm last weekend, and it took me most of the weekend by myself with a split-fire splitter. I had them noodled, but the stuff is so stringy that you have to use the ax to beat them apart almost every time.

I wasn't getting too excited about it either, split for awhile, have a little break.....you know.

Years ago I cut, split and stacked about 1 and 1/2 cords on my dump truck. This was wood that was trees in the woods I cut down and stacked and split and loaded on my truck by hand. I left home and returned in just over 6 hours,about an 8 mile round trip.

Now with my splitter I do a cord in about 4 hours. I have no reason to hurry and take several breaks. I don't even care if I spread it out over several days,doing other chores in between.

Best answer yet! :D :cheers:

You both would if you were paying 15/hr for the guy bringing you the wood and 12.50 for the guy throwing it away from the machine. Me running it.I'm worth 25 an hour.7- 8 cubic cords in 8 hours split smaller then 4 inch and were all staggering....to get a beer into us.
I roof shingler,1 logger/farm hand and myself. All healthy boys.

I don't expect to get rich from firewood, but I'm also not gonna loose money/break even either.

I average about 1 cord in 2 hours working alone. Splitter is regular 22 ton Husklee (no 4 way).
Looks like that's the norm. 1/2 of a full cord per hour for one man working alone with a typical logslitter.

Remember, the split logs still have to be carried from their thrown pile and stacked. Therefore, I keep the splitter rather close to the stacked collection and transport rounds to it. I have also discovered that firewood and females both tend to be far more valuable when stacked. :popcorn:

You both would if you were paying 15/hr for the guy bringing you the wood and 12.50 for the guy throwing it away from the machine. Me running it.I'm worth 25 an hour.7- 8 cubic cords in 8 hours split smaller then 4 inch and were all staggering....to get a beer into us.

I don't expect to get rich from firewood, but I'm also not gonna loose money/break even either.

Now if I were doing it to make money, dang right, I'd know. Souds like you got it figured out :cheers:

One other thing to think about:

The smaller that you split the round logs, the longer that it will take to split a cord of firewood. The splitter takes more cycles and you have to pick up and stack more pieces. And, as already mentioned, the longer the round logs, the longer that it will take to split them.

We are dealing with an inexact science. ;)

one a good day with enough mountain dew and beef jerky in me I can do a cord in about 2.5 to 3 hrs. Thats by hand with a maul. If I get a few bastard pieces it might take 3.5. A few years back my dad and I had a little contest me VS his splitter. after 2 hours I had 18 more pieces of wood than he did.

Jeff

===

Thats still about 3 manhours per cord...

Man I must be slow!!!! I do split them to 3x5 or smaller. The oak splits great but that elm.....:dizzy:

I'm going to noodle those biggies but man that makes a heap of stringy mess, splitter is a lot cleaner.

That super split ax is fun to use, really fast IF you got the right logs--I buried that thing into a couple of 24-26 inchers just for kicks, wasting time and energy just to see if I could bust one that big.

Well looks like y'all won't call me when its time to split, heehheeehhheh:clap:

Crap y'all are fast.

I figure on a half cord in 3-4 hours, less if I don't have to muck around with frozen rounds or picking through the stuff that needs to be bucked for the starter piles, but that seldom seems to be the case.

My helper insists upon 40-200 retrieves per hour and refuses to stack, load the splitter, run the splitter, or much of anything besides complain, nag, and mooch my lunch.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back