How many hours to expect out of a chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mange said:
"Norska Sågblads fabriken" made the Comet that was the first Diesel powered saw, engin parts was made in Jonsereds factory. After this the Jonsereds made their first saw XA, a propane heated glowplug Diesel, as the Comet.
The XB was a petrol saw, but with simular fuel pump as the XA.
then XC, XD, XD Super, XF, XG, XH. the nuber serieis start after this.

But you can disregard all of this as I am as usual off the mark.

The glowhead (glowplug) engine is not actually the diesel in its all aspects. Glowhead engines were used for the burning of petrol. They have low compression ratio like gasoline engines compared to diesel engine. That is the reason why glowhead engines are not fuel economic like real diesels have.
v

pinus said:
The glowhead (glowplug) engine is not actually the diesel in its all aspects. Glowhead engines were used for the burning of petrol. They have low compression ratio like gasoline engines compared to diesel engine. That is the reason why glowhead engines are not fuel economic like real diesels have.
v
These where designed to run on diesel. Started with help of glow plug, but only when cold.

You are not saying all of the old glowplug engins are really meant to run on petrol......

Many of these has low compression so they can be started.

I think we have other factors coming in to play.

Internal temperature at the cylinder wall for one. Typical 4cycle car engines burn FAR hotter in the kitchen as atomization of the fuel is far more efficient. It doesnt happen as frequent as 2cycle but the internal components must suffer a substancially higher fatigue co-efficient per event.

The internal surface material goes through more trama. 4cycle cooling with liquid is superb, but the problem starts when starting.

Also, cars idle a lot more than realized in a situation where your intake is a few feet away from some other chaps exhaust. Rarely will another logger attempt to line up at your keester, idle for a few mintes and then begin cutting for a while.

Alas, the more things to go wrong increase the number of things that go wrong. I would venture to say we must narrow the comparison to cars that die at the crank and cylinder. I believe we can add generously to our car longevity figures as many are taken out due to cracked blocks and from faulty water pumps. I won't be holding my breath waiting for a 32 valve Dolmer.

I would say as a rule a ten year car is a proud investment. I would say the same for a 30 year saw.
I believe all cylinder related chainsaw failures can be traced to the fuel delivery system or fuel mixing/ working practices of the user.

What's disturbing is the mal-adjusted saws coming off the shelves to meet emission guidelines. I would not start a new saw without re-adjusting the carb a little richer.

bugfart said:
I think we have other factors coming in to play.

What's disturbing is the mal-adjusted saws coming off the shelves to meet emission guidelines. I would not start a new saw without re-adjusting the carb a little richer.

I'm agreeing with Bugfart more and more! EPA compliance requires lean-from the-factory saws. I've seem several new (PRO) saws get toasted or badly worn within weeks of purchase. Invariably they were used very hard like with milling or big stump cutting. If you're going to use the new saw for this type of use, or any "hard hot work", re-tune the high end to the rich side. Even MS200T get the crap beat out of them when used for blocking (don't ask why they don't stop and send a 44 up the tree after limbing), but most guys peak them rather than richen them....

The limiter caps are generally set to STOP further enrichment at the high end, and are supposedly there just so you adjust for higher altitudes than the factory (basically sea-level) Great.. now you have to break a few Federal and/or State laws to get the safety margin back.

Blowers are constant power (after you lock down the throttle) and are always tuned to the rich side (about 100 rpm drop at full load from peak) and they last for 1000's of hours at full power. Unfortunately, unless you have a dyno tester (I must make one, one day), you can't realistically fine tune a saw under full load!

My name is wayne and im using my little brothers name because I dont have one yet. That lancaster 550 he has on his list was from a family friend of ours. He is the type of person that'll keep oil in it, the chain somewhat sharp, and clean it about 1 time every 6 months (he doesnt believe in wasting money so he'll maintain it forever). He has a 86 gmc conversion van with 238,000 miles on it last I checked. He only gave us the saw because the recoiler was messed up and computers are about a generation after him so he couldnt get parts. That saw has been used for AT LEAST 35 years. I mean you look at it you can see its been to hel and back but ill be darned if it dont still run. So thats a old slow reving saw thats reached the 20,000 hour mark at least. As far as new saws go thats a matter of the brand, and the money, my father in law just purchased a 150-200 dollar 36cc Paulen woods master or something. It says in the owners manual that it's life expectency is 50 - 75 hours! and it acts like that's a good thing! Thats a average joe, use it a couple times a year saw. It's comprised out of about 75% plastic. My 1985 pro mac 610 is doesn't really have plastic it's looking at about 10%. You can buy a good high quality pro saw that will last alot longer and is of much better quality, but I wouldnt estimate its life, its all about maintinence, and then you'll be looking at more like $350 and up. If you repect and care for machines they will respect you. - Wayne

Justin, or sorry, I mean Wayne, you might want to grab a calculator before throwing such wild figures around. There are 8,760 hours in one year, so according to you, this saw has accumulated ~2.28 years of running 24 hours/day/ and 7 days/week. Over 35 years, this would mean that for every day of every week of every month of every year for a course of 35 years, the saw would be running 6.5% of the time or roughly 1.57 hours of every day. Yeah, and tooth fairies prefer green tights.

spacemule said:
Yeah, and tooth fairies prefer green tights.
Oh, you are very wrong.....
All the fairies I ever seen had pink or leather......
But some did have strange teeth.

:p :p

Latest posts

Back