How much do freelance climbers make?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't contract climb but my boss seems to rent me out a lot. It's kind of a pain working with different groundies all the time.
If you're any good the hacks usually don't have enough $ on the job for a top notch climber. You need to catch the reputable companies because they tend to know what it takes to do the job even if they can't do it themselves.

I don't let companies rent me out that means they function as a pimp, if your boss profits by your services elsewhere. If I'm working elsewhere I've brokered my own deal, which means what they're paying him can go to you as well.

I know a couple of contract climbers, they charge $500 a day. Personally I prefer to work full time so I am always busy and because most the time contract climbers only get called for the nasty **** that nobody else wants to do. If your contract climbing then you can pretty much expect to be doing all the ******** jobs and none of the gravy ones.

I enjoy doing removals the most, I get gravy jobs as well but at 20% of the gross the challenges are generally worth it. Plus if something seems extremely under bid I renegotiate.

Also, tree work is very dependant on team work and I like to know what each ground guy is capable of, especially with rigging. Chances are if the company calling you is incapable of doing the work in the air they are just as unskilled on the ground which makes doing a nasty job even nastier. If your going to pay for insurance, why not just do business for yourself on the side and get all the profit?

I have to advertise and bid, plus once I'm done climbing, I'm done and gone. Insurance costs me $500 a year for $1,000,000 they know how to rig, I can teach any idiot w/a willingness to learn how to work a port-a-wrap. I must be doing something right considering I've made $275,000 in the past 3 years and work 8 to 9 months a year I barely do a thing December through February.

If your going to pay for insurance, why not just do business for yourself on the side and get all the profit?

Most all contract climbers around here can't really make it "on their own." They hit a few good licks and get a cocky attitude , then the next thing you know they are about to be put out on the street.

Most all contract climbers around here can't really make it "on their own." They hit a few good licks and get a cocky attitude , then the next thing you know they are about to be put out on the street.
I'm sure you can agree at 23 years in the business and owning a handful about $6000 in equipment and truck w/trailer, I've found my niche.IMAG0106.jpg

Ahhhh, to be young and ambitious and drawn to the romance of hired gun climbing again. I contract climbed for a lot of years and it has its pros and cons. Had to deal with a lot of jack ass hacks and ignorant "tree company owners" that didnt know anything about the tree biz except they could pay me 20% of the job cost to do it for them. (Note: If I ever subbed for any one on this site in the past you are exceptions to this) Eventually I started seeing every one else as compitition and started questioning why I was making money for the other guy. It was a good experience and definately taught me a lot. Mostly how not to do things but it is all part of the evolution that has gotten me to where I am today.

20% for only climbing seems like a very decent wage, in removal situation I make over $100 an hour.

Been doing tree work for a long time and for the most part if a company needs a freelancer, they are on the lower end of the quality spectrum and usually the freelancer cares more about getting the tree on the ground fast and getting paid. That's all good for them but as a young ground guy I quickly learned how bad it sucked to clean up after these guys and as a climber have never wanted to be like that. I love the teamwork aspect and having a whole crew that is on point makes every job a breeze.

No all I do is get tree to the point where the "brain trust" can drop the stalk w/o damaging anything. Sometimes this means 3 ft. and I leave either another job, company or home. I receive 20% for this service cash. Whether I put a rope in the top to pull it over. Or spend a couple of hours roping it, a well bid tree is at least $100 per hour while I'm on site, sometimes I earn a bit less but that usually happens w/trims.

That's a good attitude to have, unfortunately I started on the ground watching guys like me, and saw the earning potential of showing up and going the next job. If I waited I'd never earn $1800 in a day or during storm season $10,000 in a week.

Awesome, I get along with all types from stuck up arborists to hotshot wannabe loggers. This is just a fun job and there is enough work for every style out there. Kill on bro :)

I'm careful and conscientious, not looking to injure anyone, fact is I work w/guys who don't want to wear PPE, I'm up in the tree w/a hard hat, nobody on the ground is wearing one, w/one of the companies I work for. I'm sometimes sent to get a tree down by myself if the they think I can handle it w/o assistance. I've never really injured anyone, not my company I can't make wear PPE.

I posted about this in the Arborist 101 thread.....I don't contract climb very much but if I did....I'm not even interested in putting my boots on for less than $500 and even then....I'm not planning on working all day for that. Maybe half a day. As far as I'm concerned, if they can't do the work...they shouldn't be bidding on it. I have contracted out before but I don't get asked very often anymore. It's supply and demand. Every tree company around here knows me and knows I won't be cheap (but I will be perfect). By the time they have to come ask me to do it....I know they are out of options and I can pretty much name my price. If I agree to climb for 4 hours for $500, I'm doing you a favor. And as I posted in the other thread.....we're doing it my way or I'm not doing it at all. IF I agree to climb for someone, I automatically have the final say on every issue and aspect of that job site that I feel the need to be in charge of. I don't care if you own the company. I'm calling the shots. There will be no mistakes or injuries that day.

That's pretty much what I do, but I don't have a company so do very little outside of contract work for others. Maybe 15% of my income my own jobs, if the owners won't make them be safe I can't, I'm not responsible if they are hurt they're not my responsibility. I'm there to earn, that being said I've never seriously hurt anyone, because to a degree I'm watching, and I've given a proper lecture to FNGs.

That's pretty much what I do, but I don't have a company so do very little outside of contract work for others. Maybe 15% of my income my own jobs, if the owners won't make them be safe I can't, I'm not responsible if they are hurt they're not my responsibility. I'm there to earn, that being said I've never seriously hurt anyone, because to a degree I'm watching, and I've given a proper lecture to FNGs.
So u have hurt someone haha

Back