How much do you save.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I reckon i save anywhere from 200 to 400 dollars a month on utility bills by burning wood. All depends on how cold it is and this year has been a cold one so far. What do guys figure you save. All that extra money is needed with the economy like it is. Think i've paid for all my saws and everything involved in getting firewood several times over. If this topic has been discussed recently, I apologize for a repeat.

Last edited:
I dunno man, it'd be hard for me to figure. We get the wood right off our land, but the bank does hold a mortgage, so it'd be hard to nail it down. Saws, ATV, trailer, fuel, woodsplitter, time, woodstove,etc.

I simply know that as long as I am able, the firewood will go from stump to chimney at this house. There is savings, heat, pride and satisfaction to be figured into the equation! :cheers:

I save at least $300 a month in utility bills, but take the savings to the local saw shop, man store, etc. The best benefit for me is the house is warm, not cool and drafty from the heat pump.

it depends on how much one would be paying for heat otherwise. i am on level billing natural gas @ $42/mo w/ $85/mo elec @1800sqft heated. but some that are all electric are paying $285/mo level. im sure for some its more than that. so there is a wide range. if i was paying 2400/yr for heating i wood be burning wood also!!

it depends on how much one would be paying for heat otherwise. i am on level billing natural gas @ $42/mo w/ $85/mo elec @1800sqft heated. but some that are all electric are paying $285/mo level. im sure for some its more than that. so there is a wide range. if i was paying 2400/yr for heating i wood be burning wood also!!
That's cheap enough.

before the wood stove I had a bill of $300.00 after that it went down to around $120.00 , but due to the latest rate hike it is now up to $180.00:angry: hopefully after I install some better widows , I can lower it even more

Last edited:
This is my 22'nd year burning wood. I know for sure the money I have saved has more than paid for my 45 acres of woods. And I've hardly scratched the surface on available firewood.

Last year I spent $2400 in LP. This year I have spent.......$0 Good enough for me to justify it :greenchainsaw: I have a few years before my OWB pays for itself but it should more than pay for itself in less than four years. I also bought a splitter that put another $1500 into the payoff period. I was do for another saw anyway, my firewood cutting use to be strictly for camping.

$6k

I paid $6000 for fuel oil and propane from Sept 07 - Sept 08. My OWB, Saws, and splitter came to about 10K. So less than a 2 yr payback. I enjoy the work and plan a 10-12 cord woodshed in the Spring. I love scewing the Arabs and oil companies out of $$$. When it's all said and done...my saws are multiplying like rabbits.:popcorn:

Heck, I dunno!!!

Old house in an average winter on the furnace(Wife hated the stove) we would fill the Tank about 3 times, plus a spring fill.

New house is bigger by 1,000sq.ft. Have filled the Tank here twice in 3 years for about 300 bucks total.

Propane for water heat and stove/oven, and those few times when the furnace kicks on cuz it's below 60 in here.

I don't wanna know how much it saves really.
This is the way I want things to be.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Not saving any money, maybe come summer

My fireplace is stone cold with no chimney that :censored: installer for the Lennox Montecito fireplace has not installed since Dec. 2008.
Lennox is no help either and just pile on more costly problems on my installation. :bang:

Gas bills are increasing despite themostat setting of 62 degrees, last month $220. My garage and side of garage have numerous stacks of wood but no place to burn it.
My recommendation :no to Lennox and beware of the dealers who know nothing.

We have land that has acres & acres of wood to use for firewood and the cost is paid for by use of the property instead of our vacations to Disneyland.

I guess i would have to be saving atleast $1500-2000 a year. can get wood from in-laws or even to buy wood delivered and done would save me too. I bought a new saw, rebuilt a splitter and bought a bush truck, first year payed for that and now three years later still going with no new investmant.
I went from Sept 1 08 to Feb 01 09 for $320. and that includes my oil fired hot water tank. And it has been cold up here i am almost done my third cord.

about $150 to $250, depending on how cold it is.

I'm using 1/3 of the natural gas I used last year, and all my wood is free from the 60 acres my Mom owns.

Of course now that YOU people have me hooked on CAD... I may be spending some of that money that I WAS saving... :chainsaw:

Electric use for me is about the same...fuel oil is another story. Saving about $300/mo. based on current prices. I figure about a 5 year payback on the OWB, accesories, etc. Saws are written off to CAD!

For me the savings pales in comparison to the joy of watching Mr. Propane drive right on by the house. We moved in to our house last January and paid over $2,000 for LP in 3 1/2 months. We moved from a 1100 square foot shotgun ranch in town to a two story 2800 square foot house in the country. Man does the wind howl when you are away from the confines of the city. I LOVE it! I knew for sure that the following year would break us financially if we doid not find an alternative heating method.

We installed the OWB on Nov 1st and have not paid a dime for heat this year. Furthermore, the house stays pinned at 70 degrees, not the chilly 62 of last year. The icing on the cake is that the water heater was turned off on Nov 1st too. That is also saving us around $50 per month in electricity. I figure that all said and done we will save close to $3500/year and have a far warmer house. Those savings will pay for the OWB in three seasons!

I just pop the top on the LP tank twice per month. I flick the gauge to be sure that it is not stuck (it never moves) an then grin and toss a few more logs into the OWB!

About even

After catching FAD.....CAD.... and all those other woodburner obcessions,my phyco-therepy is gonna make me about even,but boy oh boy she is a hottie!But if it werent for her ,i would say about 1500-2000 a year:jester:

Last January my propane bill was over 400.00. This Janurary my bill was 95.00. I also burn wood in my shop, alot of wood, I tried to heat it years ago with propane but it cost me about 600.00 a month. Now I burn about 4 cord a year in the shop.
I gather all the wood I can all year round and buy a firewood permit to cut on state land for 20.00.
I have a budget wood furnace I got on CL for 100.00 that is in a free metal shed with about 150.00 spent on duct work that keeps the house warmer than it ever was with propane.
My set up paid for itself in the first two months...good thing cause I would be cold and bankrupt if I was relying on propane.

Like a lot of other posts, its really hard for me to figure out how to calculate my savings, but its a lot.
Before the wood heat in the house, our electric bill was 350 a month, now its 150.But, that was with the thermostat set at 70, now the wife keeps it 78 in the house. I would hate to see the bill if we were using electric for that.
I also heat my shop. Its a 24X60, and has always been heated with wood. I wouldnt even try to guess what it would cost to heat that anyway but by free firewood. Right now its a toasty 74 in here, and its only 20 outside.:clap:

Latest posts

Back