How often do you loan out your saws/equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you loan your stuff?

• When you can pry my cold dead fingers off it

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • once in a while, to certain people only

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • fairly regularly, if they know how to use it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sure, anyone can use my stuff, if they bring it back!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
OK guys, how do you feel about the equipment that you stake your life/career on? What do you do if a neighbor (or groundie) wants to borrow your climbing saw? Your saddle? your lifeline?

loan equipment

I got a deal on a used 023 and I loan it to my brother ,I did loan him the my saw but I got it back and ....you know .... the chain was very dull etc.... so I bought the loaner for him and it makes a good extra for me ........... I also cut hay and a guy asked me if I would loan him my hay euipment ....nnnnnnnnnooooooooooo

Sure, the last time I loaned out climbing gear was....um...NEVER. I can hear it now- The job went great until we were leaving and got stuck in the mud, that blue and white rope of yours really saved the day :eek: :angry:

I was asked once if i'd Loan out my Bucket truck! I replied sure If i go with it and My fee is 100.00 an Hr 3 Hr Min. :blob2:

saw/equip loaned

Yes,I put oil in just like you said-filled it up....oil in the gas?what do ya mean you gotta mix oil with the gas?It has plenty of gas, somethings wrong with the starter rope -it won't pull out

I never lend climb gear, but other stuff, no problem.

I have several close friends in the industry. They are pretty well equippped, but if one of us needs something the other has, we will share, or rent the tool. for intance, my Hobbs LD is avail to rent, and my hopped up 3120.

I currently am being bailed out by my new short log truck guy. I somehow broke an axle in my nice 91 GMC chiptruck yesterday. He is renting me his 55 foot bucket/chip dump, which I had actually considered asking him for, just for the two day job i'm starting this morning. A $4100 job, that should be a breeze in two easy days.

The illustrious Graeme McMahon is going to help us for a few hours. He's the Tasmanian daredevil who wrote that awesome TCI (or one of the pubs) article a while back re doing dead 250 foot tall eucs, with extremely advanced rigging, off 3000 footers, where absolutely nothing could be dropped, due to the delciate structures and plant material underneath.

I'll be sure to post pics..

Y'all have fun today, ye hear.... and climb safe..

Rog

i have a retarded saddle, ooooops i mean retired, short lifeline; that a few times a year gets loaned. Sometimes, a 'climber' comes on board (so to speak) for a few and uses them too.

Smaller saws to the guys or trusted friend every once in awhile.

I do own two saws, both strictly non commercial models that I do loan out to selected people, but think I would not loan climbing eqpt or good saws if they were my money makers. I do not really like using other people's stuff either, especially if they are hyper about how you use it and "supervise"-drives me NUTS :dizzy: If I break my own stuff, or drive the chain into the ground-my fault, my problem and I do not have to listen to whining like the last job I worked at. Makes for a much more relaxing task!

The last time someone asked me to borrow a couple of saws. I said "why don't you just take the truck". Now that is an old and trusted friend. He drives slow and knows the profession. I guess I'm unapproachable or something 'cause just about no one else ever asks.
Though a carpenter, who did me a bunch of favors, asked about using the chipper with his truck. I said "where's the brush?".
I'd rather take the time than risk such an essential piece.
God Bless All,
Daniel

loaned it once and

I loaned my saw to my brother and he called and said ...uh I got your saw cranked and it runs but the chain WILL NOT MOVE.....I said do you see the little piece of plastic just ahead of the front handle.......pull it towards the handle till you hear a click ......this should do it ....... thats why I bought the spare for him

I took the poll thinking chainsaw, not climb gear. I will not loan out my climb gear unless I'm on the ground watching it being used. I do have 1 saw that I will let a few people use out of my sight, but not my climbing saw, and not my big saw. I also provide plenty of pre mixed gas, and a good, not new chain. I also make them endure my 10min chainsaw starting and proper use lecture.
Greg

This reminds me of an old guy who ran a garage. Nice big sign in the shop: "We loan tools--$200 deposit"

Helen Waite is now in charge of loaner tools so if you want to borrow tools, "go to Helen Waite" :D

I think my Dad said it best when asked if someone could use his saw. "You have a better chance of using my wife."

I like to use that policy.

Latest posts

Back