How reliable is the 346xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been running the same 346 daily for 4 years. Its probably the most used saw and gets a hammering. it needed a clean out last year and its been through clutch springs but aside from that it runs sweet. I have an 026 but im a 346xp convert. Now I have 3 of them.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Hg7OZvA2U8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Hg7OZvA2U8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

try comparing like for like

Just don't cut your rakers as low as I did:(

You guys gotta be kiddin

Really now, a guy is an idiot because he prefers this one or that one. You guys gotta spend a couple hours workin' soma that mean juice out. The plain and simle is: they are both very good saws, which one fits you?

I have yet to see or talk to ANY ONE around here that has bought
or used a 346, old or new model I know of one dealer that has
the old model 346, covered with dust on the shelf that he has yet to sell.

I'm not knocking the 346, but when people find something that
works good and last a long time. (026/260).........So 200 to 1, may
not be far off in these parts :)

Is that dealer a user on this site? I bet he could move that dusty saw PDQ in the tradin post. Find out how much he will let that "piece of junk" go for and let me know!

I was able to talk directly with the mechanic this morning and he said the main problem was air leaks and that Husqvarna recomended replacing the plastic clamps with a metal one, and also to use permatex to glue the seal. He said that the saw would act like it is running out of gas, and that if it didn't get fixed it would score the cylinder! He believed this problem was not restricted to the 346 but to other mid range saws.

Is this mechanic out to lunch? He seemed really frustrated with Husqvarna and felt like this problem is being swept under the rug.

I was able to talk directly with the mechanic this morning and he said the main problem was air leaks and that Husqvarna recomended replacing the plastic clamps with a metal one, and also to use permatex to glue the seal. He said that the saw would act like it is running out of gas, and that if it didn't get fixed it would score the cylinder! He believed this problem was not restricted to the 346 but to other mid range saws.

Is this mechanic out to lunch? He seemed really frustrated with Husqvarna and felt like this problem is being swept under the rug.

Just remember,the plastic clamp was NOT bad.They replaced it to get a better seal,yes.But not to the point to say that was a flaw in the saw.This guy is not really telling the truth,should move to another place or job.Ive run the plastic clamp for many years WITHOUT any leaks there.When you install it,it's ok to put some Permatex to get a better seal even with the new collar type as well.

Just remember,the plastic clamp was NOT bad.They replaced it to get a better seal,yes.But not to the point to say that was a flaw in the saw.This guy is not really telling the truth,should move to another place or job.Ive run the plastic clamp for many years WITHOUT any leaks there.When you install it,it's ok to put some Permatex to get a better seal even with the new collar type as well.

Right, they have been coming with the improved (metal) clamp for a few years now.

Last edited:
My 346xp has the plastic clamp, so far no trouble. I have the metal clamp service bulletin but I haven't been in a hurry to change the clamp because the saw runs fine.

My first 346 was probably built around 1999-2001, as I got it from John Lambert in 2002, already woods modded. Both it and my current 346, also ported, have never been in the shop for anything other than simple stuff.

Dead on reliable saws, and much preferred over the 026......though the two I had years ago were bone stock. I'm sure I'd have liked them if they were modded. But the 346 is simply a better saw, more streamlined, higher rpm, smoother, and with better filtration, and a bit faster, though its power band in stock form is small.

Well - i have both a 346xp NE and a 260 Pro - yes the Husky is more powerful - but the 260 gives a much more reliable impression - it is simply better build.

If i had to choose bet wean my 346 and my 260 I would take the 260

But as it has been said so often in here - we are all different........

Well - i have both a 346xp NE and a 260 Pro - yes the Husky is more powerful - but the 260 gives a much more reliable impression - it is simply better build.

If i had to choose bet wean my 346 and my 260 I would take the 260

But as it has been said so often in here - we are all different........

Could it be that it feels this way due to the stiffer mounts?

I'm not being sarcastic here, or trying to start the usual argument, but a saw with stiffer mounts has a more solid feel.

Not sure if the 260 is available with stiff mounts...but I always found them a bit soft.......not that the 346 is as stiff as I'd like....but that would tend to mean a bit more vibration.

I would say yes they are! I have never once had a problem with any of my saws big or small. I really like my 346ne its a back saver in a hard charging small package fwtw.

Huskys have excellent air filtration and that is a premium feature which adds reliability imo. hth

Kansas

I have one in the shop for the second time....it's been in the Husky shop at least 3 times since the guy bought it. The owner is an older gentleman and even though it's several years old, it looks nearly brand new. Needless to say, the owner is impressed with the performance (he wins a local saw competition with it every year) but he says he's disappointed with the quality.

Seems like a nice saw to me though, if it would only run reliably.

Says it all really, probably full of stale fuel. If the fuel over there is anything like here I wouldnt be surprised if it ended up needing a carb.
Not a product failure, but a perfect example of the overpriced crap we are expected to run our saws on :(

Back