How To Clean Your Chainsaws Without Making a Mess

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clean my (work) saws? Air filter, yes (30 secs). Around the bar mount/clutch cover (very) occasionally when re-mounting the bar, yes (20 secs). Cylinder fins when dirty, yes (may take a few mins).
But, then again, with a sharp chain a saw won't really get that dirty :p. So, total cleaning time on average 1 min x 3 saws = 3 mins... can be done anywhere, even when cold.
For my saws in the collection I noticed one general similarity: saws that came very dirty/oily mostly cleaned up nicely and were very well preserved (paint, bolts, etc.). The "clean" ones not used for a long time very often had extensive corrosion on unprotected surfaces.
Enough reason for me to not overclean my work saws.

The last time i did it in the house I disassembled the saw and put it in the dishwasher. The wife was not happy. The wife said that if I ever do it again that it would be the last time i ever do it.
I am not sure what she meant but I clean them in the shop now. After 49 years of marriage I have learned not to argue with her.

One idea is to use a small quiet air compressor at low psi to blow out the stuff and at the same time catch it with a shop vac. Use a high filtration filter on the shop vac. The make vacs to clean out the toner dust in office buildings that do not make any dust. My air compressor is no louder than normal talking.
I was contemplating doing this. What was bad about it?

What about taking an air pig out with you when you cut and soon as your done with saw blow it off quick. This will get most of the loose stuff off then finish up in your house.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

One of these can be had in used condition for very cheap, they make a good workshop for chainsaws, don`t take much to heat them.

images

AWSOME idea

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I think solving this problem is like trying to power-wash you truck at home after going through a mud hole and not get any mud on your driveway.

It’s dirty business. Its impossible to avoid.

clean the saw and clean up the mess afterwards. Keep it simple.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Compressed air is mainly what I use to clean my saws, works great but my saws have never been anywhere near as dirty as some of the pictures I’ve seen on this website, I suspect that’s mostly because mine get blown off almost every time I use them.

I bought a shop vac dedicated for saws and bought a micro attachment kit for it. I think it’s better to vacuum carbs than it is to blow them off, especially the metering and pump side. Normally I’m not this fussy.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/little-big-shot-super-nozzle/1000828169

When the seasons permit, I find this little nozzle that fits on a garden hose, works very well for cleaning. You can produce a micro jet of water. Low volume and pinpoint accuracy. It is superior to a toothbrush. Although it does not remove pitch, it does quick work in/around the air box, carb externals, cap screws, bar rails, air filters and so on. Cleans the cake out around the clutch/case/bumpers well. It is my go-to for external carb cleaning, and getting between/into all the little areas on covers etc.

Not the volume or pressure of a pressure washer, but when hooked up to hot water, works even better.

I bought a shop vac dedicated for saws and bought a micro attachment kit for it. I think it’s better to vacuum carbs than it is to blow them off, especially the metering and pump side. Normally I’m not this fussy.

Don`t vacuum up any gasoline if it goes into the vac itself there is a serious fire hazard there.

Latest posts

Back