How to get comfortable on spurs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure some will not approve of this but I tie in twice once with a wire core the second with a rope lanyard in a X pater across the tree (meaning if my adjuster is on the left I take the rope from the left side a go to the right side of the tree and go around that way back to my right side making a X infront of me. ) That way if my spur does kick out I am not going anywhere. Also when I am tied in twice like that I take on spur out of the tree and push back on the tree with my knee that way I am touching twice making more stability and can still use two hands on the saw or pushing the round which ever it may be. Just my method, time and good boots are the best two pieces of advice you will hear.
Jared

I have both tree and pole spikes. I never tried the pole spikes, and when I tried the tree (on a red oak) it seemed like it was impossible to stomp them in. My feet were at least 2-3 inches off the trunk. I saw guys at work using what appeared to be pole spikes for hardwoods, much shorter and it almost seemed as you can use the inside of your soles to grip the tree one your spikes are set... Correct? or are they just filed down tree spikes..?

You need to remember that only 1/8"-1/4" of the gaff is what holds you in the wood.
Try to get out with some experinced climbers. I think you said your with Hartney right? If you work in Needham ask Chuck for some advce hes great!

i have both sets of gaffs,,,i usually use my pole gaffs with the exception of cottonwood and locust and other thick bark trees,,,i am more comfy with pole gaffs the majority of the time

Time, Time & more time then you will get the
comfort level: the most comfortable is hire it
done but since it is my business I hate to insure
the job with another climber as not all climbers are equal.

Latest posts

Back