How to get the wood out of the woods....??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ATV load

atv-load.jpg

John

Dido, cut it up to the length you need. If you have a rider lawn mower just get a cart for it and off you go!

I use my old Wheel Horse with AG's, chains and liquid ballast in the tires front & rear. Hooked up to a small garden cart, it allows me to thread my way deep into the woods to my cut area. The down side is the small payload capacity. Pic was taken in the summer with the deck on it. No deck for hauling wood....

Best trailerfor the money !!!!!!!!

I am not a Harbor Junk (Frieght) fan except for certain things like tarps and such.But I bought their small trailer 40 x40 I think with 12" wheels for $139.00 on sale.I had to make my own pt wood deck and sides but for what it is you cannot build it for what I paid for it.We use it to haul wood out where we cannot get with the tractor and we used it on my son's eagle scout project hauling about 35 ton of crusher run with it.Only issue was we lost a bearing cap on it so my son wrapped it with duct tape.I would not hesitate buying another one in a heartbeat.

two wheeled wheelbarrow

I put two more wheels on my two wheeled wheelbarrow and made a cart out of it. Hooked a long rope on it and pulled wood out of a steep hill with my garden tractor. It looked pretty funny but it worked great. I used two wheels from a broken banding cart from work and a 5/8 round steel rod.

I have one of them toy trailers, broke the axle and bent the rim to nothing hauling to many rocks.

My trailer now hold's a good 1/2 cord if i need it to.

I have one of them toy trailers, broke the axle and bent the rim to nothing hauling to many rocks.

My trailer now hold's a good 1/2 cord if i need it to.

Yup, you can overload anything ... you gotta be careful. You can even overload the trail. My "toy" has been haulin' for 10 years without any trouble up rocky 25% grades - even in the snow. Anything bigger just tears up the ground pulling it.

Appreciate the 'heads-up' but I gotta use what works.

Yup, you can overload anything ... you gotta be careful. You can even overload the trail. My "toy" has been haulin' for 10 years without any trouble up rocky 25% grades - even in the snow. Anything bigger just tears up the ground pulling it.

ATV's are a must in the woods but they are to light for a lot of work, i got a 700 and it does good, very happy with it.
For the power it has it could pull 5x more but it doesn't have the weight, good in wet swamp tho.

It is a JD and want cheep but I have no patience for skimpy loads probably had a ton in it and smush, kept on using it tho, pretty much shot now....

I can't agree more about having an atv, although the light weight does hamper the machines. Here is a picture of a log arch that a friend and I built. He has used it behind the atv pictured, a polaris 350, and it works well. Chains on the machine's back tires really help it.
Stephen

Oh yes, forgot to add a picture of the atv with my cart. I had an old boat trailer given to me that I cut down. It can hold a good load and follows behind the atv nicely. Only thing I have yet to add is a set of bars in front of the tires to deflect it around the trees. It was a nice feature on the log arch above, and I plan to do it here as well, just never got to it. I also never got to putting on a really nice set of side boards.
Stephen

I did it with an atv for a few years. Worked good.
DSCN9243.jpg

Last year I spoiled myself and up graded. I bought a winch for the tractor I already had. It's a 30hp Kubota, Fransgard winch.
102409_2307.jpg

102409_2311.jpg

My land is quite steep so a log arch would be out of the question. The winch allows me to stay on the trail (mostly) and bring the wood to me. I've got about 150' of cable on it.
I don't start cutting my fire wood until fall. I'll go in and cut for a couple of hours one day and wait for a day that's dry or frozen to yard it out, and go block and split another day. Mostly do what I can when I have a few hours to kill.
Later. Dan.

Latest posts

Back