How-to on greasing a Stihl clutch bearing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pop off the e-clip and washer. Remove the sprocket and replace as needed. Remove the drum and clean it, replace as needed (is it blue or warped or worn thin?). Pull off the bearing , clean and repack with grease. It only takes a small amount, maybe half the size of a pea. Put it back together in reverse order.

It is a good idea to have an extra clip on hand. They tend to fly off if given half a chance. Wear safety glasses and cover the clip with a rag as you reinstall it.

I'm about to do this on my Dad's 066; what do you guys clean the bearing with? I'm guessing a little kerosine and a toothbrush maybe? Thanks.l

Masdens on their clutch maintenance section of their website sez:
"While the bearing itself is not an expensive part, nor is it expensive to replace, it runs on the end of the crankshaft. If this bearing is allowed to fail, it may damage the surface on the crankshaft. Once this surface is damaged, even a new bearing won't last, so the crank has to be replaced."

So the down side of cooking the needle bearing is big.

Well, life changing event has me home for a week; so cutting firewood to get everything processed.

I took the MS391 apart...that was about the easiest thing to do, just like everyone said. I found the bearing dry, nothing wrong with the drum, the bearing, or the crank. I used a touch of ATF to lubricate the contact points on the clutch (not the drum, the fingers the that hold the pieces), I used a little dab of Mobil synthetic grease on the bearing. First time since I have owned it...probably 25 cords of wood?

I also read on the other thread to grease the bar tip sprocket, again a little Mobil synthetic...first time since owning it.

Husqvarnas are a little different with outboard clutches/inboard sprockets. My 353 has a hollow spindle on the clutch side, and a small hole through the side, which lets me pump grease in through the end to the bearing without disassembling the clutch. But I can't wipe off the old stuff, so I am cautious about pumping in too much.

Philbert

View attachment 373457

The owners manual for my Husky 55 says the same thing... however... no such feature exists... they never drilled the cross hole for the grease to make it out of the crankshaft and into the bearing. If I remember correctly, same issue on my 372 and 395 as well.

Latest posts

Back