How to sharpen bands with dremel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a junk band I want to try sharpening with a dremel. Can sombody describe how to do it free hand?

It's easy just unplug the dremel put it back on the bench, now the hard part find an amishman near a mill and pay him $3.00 to sharpen it:) :laugh:

Probably not best ta free-hand it, make a simple wooden jig to get it right and get a 'tooth-set' device of some sort as that is very important to keep the sets even imho. Just a cheap bit of 0.02$ nothing on a miserable rainy day (fire blazing :) ), btw, be prepared to go through a ton on bits using a dremel and be careful not ta 'blue' them teeth eh!
(good link there scottr!)
:cheers:

Serge

Cantcutter,
Google Suffolk Machinery. They used to have plans to build a band sharpener from a 6" bench grinder. I built one, and it works great. It takes a little while to get the hang of it, but probably not as long as it would take to be proficient with a dremmel.

Andy

how I sharpen with a dremel

I ocasionally will sharpen a balde for my band saw and I use my dremel. I sharpen with the band mounted on the saw and I hold the dremel inline with the blade with a cut off wheel mounted in it. the cut off wheel is perpendicular to the band. I use the side of the cut off wheel to lightly touch the cutting face of each tooth. I advance the band in reverse with one hand and get a rythem going where I bring the cut off wheel down into the gullet as I bring the blade into the side of the cut off wheel. I should add that I hold the dremel in one plade and kind of pivot it up and down . I came up with this method after watching my friend sharpen bands for his woodmizer with an auto matic sharpener. it takes me about 10 minutes to sharpen a 132" band. I don't sharpen blades for my band saw on a regular basis. but If I get caught short with the saw shop closed and no spares on hand or if I hit a nail with a brand new band I will sharpen one. It is not precies but because I am not puting any angle on the tooth it works surprisingly well and without exception the sharpened blades always track true.

I should add that I run way less tension on my band saw than what most people do and when I refer to my band saw I mean a stationary vertical saw in my shop used on wood not logs.

Just another way to skin a cat.

Latest posts

Back