How to split big wood efficiently?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg image.jpg
I was moving some wood around today and just staged one to show ya what I do. That's 30" dia oak. I set them on with the forks and quarter it to sizes I can handle than use the smaller splitter. Just get a big beam, big wedge, and big ram and build it as low to the ground as possible. Who cares if it's slow your just getting them down to super split size. Seems to me like it would be the most cost effective solution to your problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 11
View attachment 380422 View attachment 380423
I was moving some wood around today and just staged one to show ya what I do. That's 30" dia oak. I set them on with the forks and quarter it to sizes I can handle than use the smaller splitter. Just get a big beam, big wedge, and big ram and build it as low to the ground as possible. Who cares if it's slow your just getting them down to super split size. Seems to me like it would be the most cost effective solution to your problem.

I do this same method with the real big ones and even though it's effective, it sure isn't efficient.

View attachment 380422 View attachment 380423

Big beam, big ram, multisplit wedge and forget double handleing. I use a boom and winch to load large rounds. I can hookup and drag a load from 2oft by myself, or about 50 ft is someone runs the control cable.

Big beam, big ram, multisplit wedge and forget double handleing. I use a boom and winch to load large rounds. I can hookup and drag a load from 2oft by myself, or about 50 ft is someone runs the control cable.
Each situation is different though and we only have to scratch the surface to see that. It was where I was going with all my questions a while back which Sandhill didn't or only very partially answered. What's the absolute best option for one outfit could be utterly useless for another.

Tongs and winch to bucking station (but what for smaller stuff - stone bucket on tractor FEL, bucket on forks, wheelbarrow, arms and legs, hurl it, etc and into the same big splitter or a different one), buck (big enough saw and bar to not have to come at it from the other side, but how to handle the smaller stuff or oddball tree-service crazies, etc, without it bouncing around), roll into splitter chamber (are we splitting one ring or is the ram long as well as wide and can the chamber handle lots of small stuff too without spewing projectiles all over the place when the load comes on), push through a massive box wedge that splits to exact finished sizes in one go, and into what - a conveyor or straight into a bark/scrag separating chamber (the downside to big, handle-the-wood-once wedges is getting smothered in trash/scrag/bark if not clearing it out regularly), and then into what? Piles, bags, crates, piles and then handled again to stack, stacked (one employee to stack and such like or is the splitter not going to be fed and run while manually stacking the firewood), straight into delivery truck, or what? Splitting green or seasoned? Selling as mixed or specific species (separating out and doing runs of that or just however it comes in, or)?

Point being, GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) when it comes to such decision making processes. The less we know of the specific situation, the less chance the optimal outcome can be reached.

Notwithstanding the interesting ideas, this thread is like trying to nail jelly to a tree.

Kiwi, You pretty much hit the nail on the head, no such thing as one size fits all. In my situation, I am a one man band. I dont have skid steers, tractors or others to bring rounds to my splitter. I usually get odd ball lengths of bigger size wood. I take my dump trailer to the log landing and they throw the wood on the trailer, using their knuckelboom. I dump in a pile at the house and work it up when I can. I have found the boom/ with winch works well for my back. I can pick up a log by one end to get it off the ground for sawing. I can winch scattered logs up to the splitter so I dont have to walk back and forth dragging the winch cable to hook the next round. Since I usually get cull wood from log landing, its usually knotty, forked and big. Using what I have, I can work that wood up pretty fast and with little effort. The 6way adjustable wedge does leave me with wood to resplit and it does leave me lots of splinters. It all burns in my stove and the smalls make starting a fire or rekindleing a fire pretty easy. If I have a crowd around, I can load the smaller stuff by hand faster than with the boom. I can back the dump trailer under the splitter wedge and load the splits as they are processed, by letting the ram push the wood into the trailer, Haul it to the wood shed and stack off the trailer. I am satisfied with my setup for now, but when I finish my processor, the splitter may get retired.

New 12" tall wedge. Breaking it in last nite. I need to weld a couple pieces of angle to keep wood from hitting pin on cylinder. The 4 way will slide on wedge. Old wedge is last picture. Need to figure out a new log stripper also.

Wedge is 1 1/2" thick. Between plate and I-Beam it is white HDPE plastic, no more metal on metal. Then spacer that is thickness of I-Beam, then more HDPE under I-Beam and finally another piece of 1/2" steel under. Turned out well, just a few more tweaks and I may build a new one.....heh
20141121_182419_zpsd7b5e97e.jpg

20141121_182522_zps36114a3b.jpg
20141121_182554_zps7ab3039e.jpg
20141121_182402_zps85e73b1f.jpg
20141121_182454_zps538f58a1.jpg

Latest posts

Back