How to start an argument? Future of gas powered saws ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a kid I thought a tilley (or coleman) lamp with a mantle gave off a good light. I recently refurbished one for my son and was so disappointed. Go on ask me why!!
To me the light given off was a nice warm light, to my son it was a lot of fiddling around to get a dim light.

Coleman mantles, and likely Tilley mantles as well, were doped with a much more radioactive mix back in the day, that also gave better light. You might not be getting the light you remember.

I bought some Chinese or Indian mantles a couple years back, and they actually make the radiation meter move. Better light, too. Don't eat them, don't breathe the dust, don't store them under your pillow.

There has been scientific articles out recently that prove that mining for lithium is insustainable.
The only reason the politicians are pushing for electric, is because all of their millionaire friends own stakes in electric companies. The will only go so far until people take a stand and say enough is enough.

There has been scientific articles out recently that prove that mining for lithium is insustainable.
The only reason the politicians are pushing for electric, is because all of their millionaire friends own stakes in electric companies. The will only go so far until people take a stand and say enough is enough.
No way we could go 2 whole pages on electric saws without the conspiracy theorists chiming in.

As a kid I thought a tilley (or coleman) lamp with a mantle gave off a good light. I recently refurbished one for my son and was so disappointed. Go on ask me why!!
To me the light given off was a nice warm light, to my son it was a lot of fiddling around to get a dim light.
The change to LED lighting has been quick, but its here to stay and makes lighting of only 15 years ago (let along 50 years) look like a candle in a sock. To me, I like the warm light and dont like the shadows LED seem to cast, but the batteries last so much longer, example.. my hunting lamp last approx 90 minute on full beam. My LED lamp working off same battery easily doubles that time in fact it has never gone flat while in use.
So what's it all go to do with petrol chain saws? Let's face it we are getting older and dont like change, I love engines and have so many tools to work on them with after a life time, i need a bigger workshop.
An electric saw all you need is a file and a simple tool to adjust the chain. Kids are growing up different and fast they wont hesitate to buy a battery saw. And to finish it off a friend of mine now in his mid 70's bought a battery stihl chainsaw and thinks it's great, he sai a battery last about the same as a tank full (i cant cement not used one) but my other friend a bit younger keeps going on mainly through jealousy "why did he buy a battery saw, paid all that money" then he says to me "i cant start my old 266 it's too hard to pull over" I just smile and say now you know why he got a battery saw🤦‍♂️
Sorry if this is a bit long, times are changing and we dont like change
I agree that electric is probably coming whether we like it or not, but most people don't like change. One of the main beefs I have with the electric tools is the battery itself. I've been fighting this battle for years in my trade - Industrial HVAC. I have perfectly good battery powered tools that you can't get replacement batteries for. After a few years the manufacturers discontinue the models I & others have to introduce a newer version. Of course none of the batteries are interchangable and you must upgrade to the 'latest and greatest'. Some are improved over the older versions but at the same time the older ones are fine. I'm pretty anal about my tools so typically my older tools have plenty of useful life left in them. Same as @Husky77 didn't mean to be so long, but don't like seeing the landfills filled with perfectly good tools and unecessary $$ spent by hard working folks.

I’m a petro saw lover/user, and plan to stay that way as long as possible. The whole battery thing bugs me as I have enough trouble just being married to my wife, let alone a tool manufacturer’s battery platform. Petroleum saws have let me be free to pick the best saws from Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo, without becoming a brand queer.

I agree that electric is probably coming whether we like it or not, but most people don't like change. One of the main beefs I have with the electric tools is the battery itself. I've been fighting this battle for years in my trade - Industrial HVAC. I have perfectly good battery powered tools that you can't get replacement batteries for. After a few years the manufacturers discontinue the models I & others have to introduce a newer version. Of course none of the batteries are interchangable and you must upgrade to the 'latest and greatest'. Some are improved over the older versions but at the same time the older ones are fine. I'm pretty anal about my tools so typically my older tools have plenty of useful life left in them. Same as @Husky77 didn't mean to be so long, but don't like seeing the landfills filled with perfectly good tools and unecessary $$ spent by hard working folks.
Batteries Plus or similar company can rebuild your old battery packs....not cheap but will keep those outdated tools in operation until they actually fail from use. Just a thought....I hate tossing good working tools just because I can't buy new batteries too.......

There are all kinds of battery adapters these days too. Run a Rigid tool on Milwaukee batteries, or Dewalt tool on Makita batteries, etc. Probably an adapter for the older tools, too.

All I know the battery stuff has saved me alot of work when tried them out in 20V back in 2018. Wife loves the stuff. Chainsaw, Polesaw, Trimmer, Drill, Lights, Sawzall with pruner blade, etc etc. Oh my shop impact too. :cheers:

She dont have to wait for me to do things now with my gas stuff.

IMO everything has a place. Seeing how well all the 20V stuff has held up wish would have went ahead and done 40V. But I was betting against it back then.

Heck she had all the leafy limbs off this storm damage top with pruner blade before I even had my crap togther. She said she likes it better then the small saw for 5" under cutting.

map3xx.jpgmap3x.jpg

There are all kinds of battery adapters these days too. Run a Rigid tool on Milwaukee batteries, or Dewalt tool on Makita batteries, etc. Probably an adapter for the older tools, too.
This is true. I have an adapter to adapt the newer 20V DeWalt batteries to the older 18Volt tools. It works good but a word of caution. If you should leave the adapter on the battery when you're done using the tool, the circuitry in the adapter will drain the battery to the point it will not be recognised by the charger and can not be charged again until you flash the polarity with a seperate 20V battery. Not the end of the world but something you only do once....with any luck......

I bet those are some profound articles...
Hint- there isn't a mineral mined that's sustainable... all are finite. Crazy, eh.

No way we could go 2 whole pages on electric saws without the conspiracy theorists chiming in.
So because I believe that the politicians and the big wigs in electric, grease each others wheels, I'm a conspiracy theorists? If you don't think they grease each others wheels, then you are just plain naive. And I got to say, alot of the times the "conspiracy theorists" end up being proven right in the end. So 🤷‍♂️
Just my 2 cents

So because I believe that the politicians and the big wigs in electric, grease each others wheels, I'm a conspiracy theorists? If you don't think they grease each others wheels, then you are just plain naive. And I got to say, alot of the times the "conspiracy theorists" end up being proven right in the end. So 🤷‍♂️
Just my 2 cents
If you can't see why electric O P E catching on your not very smart.
The average person cannot maintain gas equipment and has all sorts of issues. Electric solves that for these people.
That doesn't mean gas equipment is going away.
And having worked in the electric power industry I can say your out to lunch on your assertions. The hand of the utilities is being forced by the government and the EPA and itnhasnt been willingly..

For some homeowners battery saws will be better as they only use them a few times a year.
I have a few battery powered tools kicking around that need new batteries because I didnt keep them charged up. New batteries cost as much as new tools I doubt I'll buy new batteries or adapters.

A large portion of my saw work is in the woods where I cant charge a battery so I'll be sticking with gas.

Well I bought three small gas saws recently while you can still buy a gas saw. Same with a gas lawnmower and a gas snowblower. I don't want battery equipment. The only decent thing I have had so far was a drill driver. Nothing else lasts on battery power very long. I bought a 400 makita chain saw nice but what a pain as it doesn't seem to last to the end of the job ever. Bought a small husqvarna pro series for less money and I am much happier with it. Oh and no one is interested in the battery saw when I put it up for sale.

Not just battery design needs to improve. I bought the Milwaukee chainsaw because we already use their batteries for other tools. For our purpose, it's for slab trim work at the sawmill. While I have no complaint about Milwaukee's batteries, the chain/sprocket relationship and the chip clean out area is less than satisfactory. Maybe its due to Milwaukee's lack of experience with chainsaw design. Maybe it's their rush to make it into the consumer market that lead to shortcuts in design and quality. It goes like this a lot.

View attachment 1108257

If that's the chain slipping off the bar, it happens to me a lot on the 540iXP. Pretty easy to pop it back in with a scrench without having to remove the cover.

I also agree with the chip-flow issues on the 540i. Have to unclog the chips at times, but especially when making noodles.

Latest posts

Back