How to start own business.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh1981

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been thinking about starting my own business. Tired of relying on everyone else. Here is my current position:

Computer degree 2 yrs A+ certification (fix, build, install operating system, install memory, virus removal, spyware removal, stuff like that...)

Valet service. 6/hr plus tips. Tips come easy enough. I would say 10/hr with tips included. Have some savings but not much. Bills, roof over my head, car maint, STIHL tool maint, keeping house up, gas in car, etc takes a lot.

Basically I am sick of relying on other people for a paycheck, asking for help when other guy is out (2 man operation plus a cleaner guy plus boss plus another guy comes in when someone out).

I need a change.

So Im thinking why not start lawn care business? North of Atlanta (suburbs) enough older people here need help in yard. I got the right tools (fs90r trimmer, kombi with pole saw, brushcutter, edger, ms361, 066, 211 chainsaws, hedge trimmer, lopper, hand saw, hand pruner, rake (dirt and leaves) shovel. Car with small trailer. And will be getting a lawn mower soon enough...

Other option is Geek squad or one of those bigger computer places.

Or I could do that and lawn care part time...

Just exploring my options right now.

WHere would I start? what would I need to do?

Thanks

Decide what you want to do first so that your company name reflects what your going to focus on. Pick several names because the one you want may be taken (my first 4 choices were taken or too close to existing). Have a buisiness plan so that you know who to target and what kind of competition is out there and how you are going to provide a better service. Register your company with the state for your tax ID number (I suggest an LLC for protection). Get a bank account with company name. Get Quickbooks and set that all up for invoicing and tracking (or something similar). Get some cards made up. Figure out what your going to do to advertise. DON"T QUIT YOUR REGULAR JOB UNTIL MONEY FLOWS!!
You are going to need some seed money to get started. Advertising cost money, Gas costs money, cards, registration etc costs money.
These are the basics really but without a tax ID number you are not a legit buisiness. Save money to pay your taxes (suggest quarterly).
Hopefully someone else might add things I may have missed. I started my own welding buisiness and it's tough at times. Heath care is expensive so I went back into the Army Guards to afford it. When I have big months I save it so that when I have lean months I can survive. 4 tough years and I'm still going but I do miss the weekly paycheck sometimes and believe me the stress of not knowing if I will have enough work to survive on has made me think about getting a regualr job again. I have my shop here at my house so operation costs are minimal but still they exist. Good luck.

I live in one of the best states to run a small lawn care / tree business. Much better than atlanta because most of the time we have year round growth.

It still sucks!

I have been doing this for about 20 years. I get buy and nothing more. I know people who have 3 times as much business as I do and they don't make much more than me. The only difference is they could probably get 30 to 40K for their business where I could maybe get 10k if I sold. ( the reason why is below for those who are smart enough) Guys with multiple trucks or very high end business who were able to gain some "good" commercial accounts do pretty good but they are the minority.

Just remember. If you drive to some persons house and get $20 for 30 minutes of lawn care it doesn't mean you just made $40 per hour. It is a very very important thing to know. I have seen guys who think that way come in and out of the business year after year after year. Lawn care must be one of the biggest turn over business's in history.

Two people down the street from me used the same lawn guy. I can't compete with his price. not even close. Same company over the past 6 years. its been sold 4 times. Some sucker keeps buying it and finding out he isn't make anything but a dirty face and broken equipment. They both finally quit useing that service and found a new sucker. he comes by and does a great job with his 52 inch home depot cub cadet mower. very nice work. I give him one year tops before he either quits or his cub cadet breaks down.

Not trying to be discouraging. just saying think before you leap. The freedom is nice though but if I wasn't an un educated glutton for punishment with a personality disorder I would be doing something else. My only conciliation is I now know how to build a worthless business I could sell for 30 thousand dollars. To bad I can't retire on that kinda money.

Boutselis is correct. I can only talk for my local country area in Australia but over the last few years very few gardening businesses have survived without value adding such as garden design, irrigation installation etc.
The way it has worked here is as follows...

Young guy has left school and thinks "I'm gonna start a gardening business, that'd be cool, easy, and pretty cruisey. I can then also tell the girls down the local pub that I'm a business owner - that'll impress them". He hasn't quite got the business smarts yet but is super keen, puts every cent he has into his gear, generally not up to commercial use standards, then advertises and gets no business. He then drops his rates to get business and puts other people out of business. Then he proceeds to go broke because as mentioned by Boutselis what he did wasn't financially sustainable. Then the scenario repeats itself, over and over again. Every single gardening contractor I know that DOESN'T branch out and do other value adding is using hammered, worn out old gear, being towed in a rusty trailer by an absolute bomb of a motor vehicle. They are barely earning enough money to feed themselves and generally are also receiving some kind of welfare benefits as they don't earn enough money to even qualify as a business as far as the Tax Office is concerned ($20,000 per year in Australia). I have a few of these guys as customers and they are really struggling but do pay their bills :)

I'm not saying you can't get it to work but it may not be as easy as you think. I also know a few local contractors who gained valuable relationships with customers who then jacked their pricing up so high that it convinced those same home owners to go buy their own lawnmower and do it themselves. My parents were one such customer. This particular guy is also now broke.

Last edited:
You didn't mention it, but why not start your own computer repair business? I had a guy in Californnia who I found in the phone book one day when my computer crashed, and he came to my store and sorted stuff out in an hour and charged me $70. I was happy as a clam. After that, I never even thought of using anyone else. He was busy all the time and employed his daughter full time as well, and worked out of his house.

Control your hours, get started with the gear you probably already own, and all you need is to pound the pavement and get some ads out there. Computers are always breaking, and most people over the age of 40 have no idea how to fix them. That would include me.

Just a thought.

Pete

Diversify

IMO don't put all your eggs in one basket. I lost my manufacturing job over two years ago and decided I never wanted to work in a group setting again if at all possible. I now have several businesses; firewood sales, chainsaw sales, snowplowing, Ebay sales and some other small ventures. Basically I do whatever comes along that will turn some coin and is legal!

I would recommend doing some computer work at a level that you don't get too swamped with business and also start the lawn care on the side of that. If one or the other gets slow for some reason, work at the other. Just be careful, one man can only do so many things at one time!

It is better to have people handing you all the money directly for a service than to have an employer handing you only a small portion of what is made off from you.

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking down on people who work for the "man", that provided me with a very good living for 30+ years. It's just about what, you as an individual, want to do and realizing how important is really is to you.

My gut feeling is that you would do well on your own. One of the reasons it worked for me is that my kids have grown and moved on and my wife and I don't have many bills compared to most people.

Good luck, keep us posted.

I understand how you're feeling. Been there, done that. You need to go back to school and get your degree. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the best advice I can give. I had worked in the same pharmaceutical manufacturing job for 10 years. It was a good job. I finally got so sick of it that I quit and finished my degree at 32 years old. I doubled my income in 3 years. Yes, you read that right! With out that, you have very little to replace your job with. For example, I was just laid off at the end of Jan. Without my degree, there's no way I could replace my income.

There are two sides to every coin! I have no degree and do well in my field, it is however, specialized. My wife runs a small business....find a field that you like and enjoy doing. After some time of being successful, word of mouth begins to take over and customers find you as mentioned in other posts. It does take cash to start....Period!.....depending on what field you choose.

It is even more difficult if your trying to replace income right away.

There are business networking groups that hold weekly meetings to help each other find customers. They meet, drink coffee, present themselves to the group and then every time they speak to a customer that may need something they do not offer....I have a friend that does that kind of thing...your in. You should check it out, attend a meeting in your area as a guest and ask them "what is missing in this area", maybe you can find that just right spot.

She wrote short articles about her business and submitted to the areas local papers and magazines every couple weeks. She offered free advise to some degree and tips. They ate it up and started asking for interviews and photo sessions, next thing you know.....BAM, it happened, she quit her normal job for her now busy business.

Cupcakes anyone? These guys are killing it here, my wife and her friends are all talking about the cupcake shop!!

Find the right spot for you!

Good luck,

And this has what to do with chainsaws?

Actually the early part was related to lawn care and that could branch (puny) into saw work as a side ... been there done that as well. Got out of the computer business and started an excavation business that fed my family for several years quit well and then sold out and moved to to where we are now..why? Ignorance..we are in the land of taxes here! Couple of things come to mind. Two previous posts had some really good stuff....the one by Beaver Eager & Moss man. Both are keys to success. My excavation business was ..successful I think for two reasons. Attitude...Attitude. Yea the skill set was there but there are lots of guys out there with skills. Folks sense attitude and when there are so many options out there all things being equal the right attitude wins. Having a side "real" job makes a lot of sense until you can focus on your own deal. Diversification works for the one man show in economy's like here in CNY because there isn't seed money available for a guy to start a larger focused business the "right way"..unless he has his own money. Me? Cows, Hay, Highway, Tractor work (back hoe & large farm tractor), timber, saw work....all contribute. Still make my best margins on a back hoe, have a road job & site work job on the way;...but there is so much competition for so few jobs I'm not ready to focus on that again here in CNY and I'm getting older..that 14hr a day hustle is a bit much now. Timber & Cows seem to be where I'll end up unless something else comes along. Plan to add ebay and saw in a more formal way this next year...we will see! Either way, with th e right attitude to your concept and customers you will do just fine. Just remember the biggest turn off to a customer is that feeling your just there to take something away...money. Customers will sense and see it in your eyes and in your heart so pick something you enjoy and your enthusiasm will show. By far the best jobs I had were work of mouth leads..:) Bottom line is all business is about people and relationships..never forget that.

Last edited:
windows

Hi everyone. I have been thinking about starting my own business. Tired of relying on everyone else. Here is my current position:

Computer degree 2 yrs A+ certification (fix, build, install operating system, install memory, virus removal, spyware removal, stuff like that...)

Valet service. 6/hr plus tips. Tips come easy enough. I would say 10/hr with tips included. Have some savings but not much. Bills, roof over my head, car maint, STIHL tool maint, keeping house up, gas in car, etc takes a lot.

Basically I am sick of relying on other people for a paycheck, asking for help when other guy is out (2 man operation plus a cleaner guy plus boss plus another guy comes in when someone out).

I need a change.

So Im thinking why not start lawn care business? North of Atlanta (suburbs) enough older people here need help in yard. I got the right tools (fs90r trimmer, kombi with pole saw, brushcutter, edger, ms361, 066, 211 chainsaws, hedge trimmer, lopper, hand saw, hand pruner, rake (dirt and leaves) shovel. Car with small trailer. And will be getting a lawn mower soon enough...

Other option is Geek squad or one of those bigger computer places.

Or I could do that and lawn care part time...

Just exploring my options right now.

WHere would I start? what would I need to do?

Thanks

As long as people run windows and absolutely insist on remaining clueless about security you can make money. (I'm a nerd like you so I know you know what I am saying...) As long as you like fixing machinery of any kind, you can make money, and specialization is king there, because you get *good* at it fast when you can focus. . As long as you like doing outdoor work, and are prompt, efficient and make your customers happy and don't price gouge them, you can make money.

Hey, you never know on some things, say you establish a customer base for lawn care..how many of those folks also own computers that they screw up..or burn firewood? See? Drop off a little load of firewood, then do the lawn and shrubs, then as you leave pickup one of their machines to take back home and fix...and those folks will tell their neighbors about your services... There's money on the table there in several places and if you can combine trips and do good routing for your services....

All of that is a variable of course, overlapping variables of course, and it is possible to do all three in your spare time, then see which of the three or all of the three you like the best or what fits the best for you.

And then there's the old saying, don't put all your eggs in one basket. I think it could be possible to run a few different part time businesses all the time, at least until you determine which you should prioritize on the most. Say your lawn care, you won't have enough customers right off the bat to fill your plate..then what?

If you can get enough to schedule one or two days a week to knock out what customer's needs you have, that frees up the other days to do something else. Well, you can de-malware computers at night at a bench, several at the same time, you know running scans you are just sitting there waiting.. or work on chainsaws and small equipment at another bench. During the day when/if you have a lawn to mow or hedges trees to trim, go do that, along with delivering your firewood or picking up small engine stuff to fix.....

What I am saying is, having a widely separate income stream helps to future proof you so you always have some income. The economy is sucky in a lot of ways now, and I know I have been burned in the past relying on just one job for income. Had some factory jobs poof to asia for instance, no notice other than a layoff notice at the end of the day.

There's so many empty houses sitting for sale now, might want to check with real estate agents on doing minimal "keep the yard spiffy so it looks good" lawncare.

Doing the computers if you offer pick up and delivery back, that might be an option other than having to sit in a retail office all day long waiting for customers to walk in..maybe the same with small equipment repair. A flexible schedule and a few hats to wear..you should get by and stay busy.

Then there's gardening for yourself, then maybe expanding into niche market gardening, such as supplying fancy restaurants with gourmet veggies,or just to individuals who will take a delivery once a week for whatever you got spare out of the garden.

I know that I "make more money" gardening than from my regular job, if you look at food prices at the store compared to how much of a return on investment you get with a garden for yourself. I don't sell anything yet (thinking about it heavy though...), but just knocking our food bill down to almost zilch a big part of the year..man that pays off, it's way more than what I make with my small farm salary (as an employee), hour to hour labor comparison. You got money coming in, then you can work on eliminating *money going out* as well, that's just as important.

There's a lot of times during the year for our once a week trip to town the only thing we get there is stuff like bread, don't have the space now for massive wheat so I just buy my bread, and like T paper, dishwash and laundry soap, etc. In fact, we spend more on petfood then we do on people food. I don't have to drop any coin whatsoever to keep us two humans here fed most of the year. Adds up! Then say your lawncare biz, if you are working on small machinery as well, you know you can accumulate busted equipment for free for hauling it off as well...you fix that stuff, and that's the stuff you use for your business eventually, so your out of pocket for gear is minimal. Same with a work truck, you could find deals needing repairs, fix those, keep reselling them for more after fixing, and always have a couple or three "runners" to use at any time so you don't have to worry about it. I forget now exactly in georgia but I think it is like either six or 12 vehicles sold per year before you have to even register as a business for that (although you are still responsible for income taxes of course)

The MAIN thing is..do what you like! If there's one thing I'll tell a younger guy is, don't waste your life working a job you hate, and always strive for more than one income, in separate fields, that covers sudden unexpected eventualities.

Always gonna be some neighbor hood kit willing to undercut you. His price will be cheaper, and he is not relying on the mowing gig to support anything but fun $.

I would suggest going back to school and finishing a 4 year degree. If you enjoy computers study computer science (not information systems). Computer Science isn't easy as it's very abstract and is also math/theory oriented but if you enjoy it and get through you should be able to easily get a job that pays 50-60k a year starting. I finished my degree in CS this past December and was an intern at the company I'm at now (even an internship in a CS related field will pay well) so I had my current job lined up before I was even done with school. The day my degree was awarded I started working as a full time employee. I imagine there are plenty of software companies in Atlanta and you can make good money while working flexible hours. Like I said, if you like computers/math you may want to look into it.

I have always been told do something that you really enjoy doing...and take it as far as you can. Breaking off on your own is risky...business permits, references, clients, advertising, insurances, maintenance, etc. etc. You can't be a time watcher and figure after 8 hours that's it for today. Your equipment will be very important most likely repairs will be after a hard days work. You'll want new since you can't afford break downs at the start. At one time in my life, I use to be a owner/operator, I didn't own my truck, it own me. Getting into a small business is fun if you are extremely committed, willing and love the job. Sounds like you have a start with your knowledge of computers..explore and research that route as your own business.

yeah, I didnt read all the responses....

Lawn care?

Do it. You just do it. You do not need all the fancy stuff everyone is telling you. You just do it.

Find the area that you want to work, and check out the area. Check out the local churches. Ask if there are any widows who need help. Go to the banks and ask if they have any properties they need maintained.

All the legal mumbo jumbo? Fagetaboutit. Name? Make your own name. Register? No! Just try it out. If it takes off and you like it then keep doing it. then go legit if you have to.

Try to keep it a low profile deal. Find some Mexicans and hire as needed.

What do you want? a big fancy company to brag about? Or just to survive in this crappy economy.

Be honest, charge as little as you can, and work your ass off. Be dependable, reliable and always follow up in person. Get to know your customers personally. Always be willing to help out with something else, what ever they need.

Always discount for cash. Pay your help in cash.

Like I said, if there are any Mexicans in the area, they are awesome landscapers. They love cash and beer.

Do not go into business with a friend, come to find out the biggest pieces of crap are your friends.

If you have a brilliant idea, keep it to yourself, funny how people come up with ideas that sound exactly like the one you just told them.

Make yourself and expert in everything you plan on doing, this requires a lot of reading. Most people can tell if you know what you are talking about or if you are blowing wind up their skirt.

Do something that you LOVE.

Have fun, remember you only live once, might as well have fun.

Latest posts

Back